I have been sent here from after going through HijckThis, Computer problems.
My computer keeps on freezing, and we have checked for viruses & malaware in the previous fourm.
Please help
Hi,
Sorry to hear about the computer freezing on you, I have hopped over to the malware forum and see that you are running Windows 2K with SP 4
Two questions for you:
1 Do you get the computer freezing when you are operating in safe mode?
2 Are all your Windows/Microsoft and other applications patched and fully up to date?
Regards
paws
I stated the computer in Safe Mode & coudl not get it to freeze.
I have installe the latest Windows updates, did a Ram test (no problems) and installed latest driver for Matrox Millenium G400 graphics card.
I also disconnected the floppy drive as this was not working.
The computer seems to be running OK at the moment & can not get it to freeze. Hopefully it will keep on working.
Thanks for the tips
Hi,
You are more than welcome.
I'm delighted that your machine seems to be behaving itself!
You are obviously doing the right things, so well done!
Often if the computer works well in safe mode it indicates that there is a problem with one of the drivers.
In safe mode Windows loads only the minimum set of drivers to get itself going, its only in normal mode that the full set of drivers are loaded and if there is a problem with one of them this creates all sorts of breakdowns.
Regards
paws
Hi,
Oh Dear! <_<
Try running sfc, (have your Win installation disc handy) reboot into safe mode and see how you go,
if its not crashing boot into normal mode and see if sfc has helped
Regards
paws
Hi aureliomark,
My good friend Dough who posts regularly in this forum with excellent advice has just pointed out to me that there is a word miising from my last post to you.
The sentence should read:
"Try running sfc, (have your Win installation disc handy) then reboot into safe mode and see how you go…."
regards
paws
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI