Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Internet freeze

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 reakt

reakt

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 05:34 AM

Hi!

I was looking for answer to my problem in lot's of websites and I found that it was here one of the members so here is his topic http://forums.whatth...h...114822&st=0

So the problem is completely the same even freez duration and interval between freezes. I compared my and his computer and we have 2 difrent computer in everything so I am betting on malvare or on some other viruse.

Any help would be appreciated!!!

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 reakt

reakt

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 01:46 PM

no need of help don't know why but my problem disappeared ^_^

#3 reakt

reakt

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 08:22 AM

yay the lag is back again and the interval between freezes is precise 15 min no seconds less or more I just formated my hardrives and installed new windows 7 64 bit so it has to be malware because I don't think that settings could have somehow been saved or could it be that my integrated network card is dead ?

#4 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 08:08 AM

Hi reakt,

Sorry to hear about the lag problems you have been experiencing. As you know tracking down the cause can be a tough job.. however we will do our best to help.

1 If I understand you correctly you have just formatted your drives and reinstalled Windows and your applications...Is that correct?

2 If "yes" then its not likely to be malware related, unless you became re-infected almost immediately.

3 Have you tried booting into safe mode with networking and checking to see if the lags persist?

Please be careful when operating in safe mode with networking as your protections (anti virus etc.) will not be providing you with full or often any protection.

4 Check task manager in normal mode and see what is using your CPU cycles during the period of lag..... you will need to monitor the task manager for some time continuously to see if a scheduled event or a service of some kind is being triggered and causing the lag. (A program "calling home" to update itself, Windows update, your AV updating or checking in or a whole host of stuff that regularly utilises you computer system resources could be responsible.

5 Try setting up a new user account (via control Panel) log on to this account from a cold boot and check to see if the lag still happens.

6 Power cycle your modem/router and then reboot your computer...any better?

7 Are you using a proxy server? or any P2P file sharing application? (torrents etc)

8 If you are using a wireless connection have you checked for interference from other electronics working on the same or similar frequencies? (baby alarms, DECT phones, Microwave devices etc?

9 Have you tried releasing and then renewing your lease via ipconfig? and then flushing your DNS resolver cache?

10 If using a WAP/router/modem please try a different channel to avoid any potential conflict with a neighbours router set up.

10A If using a wireless connection, try using a wired connection (ethernet cable) and do a further test to see if lag persists.

11 From a command prompt please run the following command when the Internet is not lagging, and copy and paste the output into your reply, followed by a repeat of the command when the computer is lagging (you will need to make sure your timing is good and please run the command at the beginning of the lag (within a second or so!)

Please use copy and paste (everything in blue) to ensure that the syntax is maintained:

cmd /c "ipconfig /all> postme.txt & ping bbc.co.uk >> postme.txt & notepadpostme.txt & del postme.txt"

(Press the enter key to execute the command).

11 A broad brush approach is to try and determine if a Windows problem exists or if the cause is elsewhere (like in the modem/ router, house wiring etc.,...so firstly using an Ethernet cable connection (not using wireless) download a copy of Linux Puppy available from here:

http://puppylinux.org/main/Overview%20and%...g%20Started.htm

12 burn the iso (100Mb or so in size) to a CD as an image, (it must be an image, a plain copy will not work) so to make it easy use ImgBurn available here.

http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download

13 Via the BIOS set your computer to boot from CD/DVD as priority one and with the Puppy CD in the tray save the changes in your BIOS and exit and your computer will boot into Linux Puppy, follow onscreen directions as to language keyboard etc.

14 Allow/get Puppy to set up the drivers for your wired (ethernet connection) and then connect to the Internet you may ned to download a browser... and carry out your test for lag again....

If the lag persists in Puppy then we have to look to your router house wiring modem or ISP for the likely cause... however if the lad is not apparent in Puppy but is in Windows then we will know where to focus our attention.

If you post back with your findings step by step 1 through 14 then it will help us suggest the next steps for your to take

Regards

paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#5 reakt

reakt

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 11:20 AM

Thanks for repply Paws and I tried some router configuration before I saw your suggestions and it helped changed channel and some other things, walked through every thing and I guess it helped because I hadn't had a lag for a few days , but I don't understand why this problem was only for PC that is connected with ethernet cable and all wi-fi devices was perfectly running but really thanks for repply because if this problem will return I will try everything else you posted. And you said that because of formatting disks malware couldn't be the problem but didn't formatting just delete all files and not zeroing hard disk because as I thought after formatting you can get back few files that is not overwrited ?

#6 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 01:57 AM

:thumbup: Yes when you format on Vista or 7 (if a full format) then zeroing the drive takes place automatically.... however if its a quick format then that will usually stop most malware in its tracks.... the code may still be there, but there is nothing for it to run on! :D and if there is nothing for it to run on then its unlikely to do a lot of harm.... There are exceptions, but you would have to be pretty unlucky to get caught twice in such a short period of time..... however if you want to be as certain as you can, then ensure you have your reinstall/recovery discs handy and you have verified they work! and then do a full format and then reinstall.... don't trust your back up until you have checked them for virus or malicious code by at least 3 scanners of good repute.....in the workshop we use a variety of tools including separate dedicated "disposable" computers for this purpose and use the resident updated AV and AS applications and 2 independent "on line" scanners..... this may seem like overkill, but cross contamination is very easy. Once you have completed the work necessary to satisfy yourself that your machine is clear of infections, running fast and sweet, with all junk files removed and all applications loaded and updated, (don't forget the resident anti-virus and firewall) with all Windows updates and Service Packs installed and everything working as intended, then take a disc image, and keep at least one copy safe offsite on removable media.... that way in the event that trouble strikes again at some time in the future, that cannot be fixed by the normal means in a cost effective or timely way, then you can simply re-image and be up and running again in less time than it takes to walk the dog! Regards paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate