My computer usage starts out at about 1% usage at boot-up time and as time goes by it slowly creeps up to 100%. For instance, I rebooted and ran Ad-Aware Se this afternoon at 3:30pm est. Cpu usage was at 1%. I came home at 8:45pm and I am currently at 54% usage. The computer wasn't doing anything while I was away. I know tomorrow morning it will be at 100% and I will have to re-boot it. Nothing freezes up, it just runs everything slower. Here is my highjackthis.log:
Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 3:31:07 PM, on 3/18/2007
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16414)
Hi John and welcome to the forums here at Tom Coyote.
There are a few items we can clean up with HJT. But I just wanted to check something. Are you running the firewalls from both McAfee and Outpost? If so you never want to run more than one firewall at a time. It can cause conflicts and problems just like you describe you are having. Let me know please.
—————————————————————————————————–
Run HijackThis. Hit None of the above, Click Do a System Scan Only. Put a Check in the box on the left side on these:
O2 - BHO: (no name) - (?¥78D38-C3F9-4EFB-9B51-7695ECA05670} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: (no name) - rsion - (no file)
O2 - BHO: (no name) - X?¥49E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: (no name) - ¨?¥497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - (no file)
O3 - Toolbar: (no name) - {0BF43445-2F28-4351-9252-17FE6E806AA0} - (no file)
Then close all windows except this one and press Fix checked.
Under Main select the following:
Under Main choose: Select All
Click the Empty Selected button.
If you use Firefox:
Click Firefox at the top and choose: Select All
Click the Empty Selected button.
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click NO at the prompt.
It's normal after running ATF cleaner that the PC will be slower to boot the first time.
Reboot and post a new HJT log for review. Please also let me know how things are running at this point.
Ok, I ran HJT and fixed the five lines items you posted. I then ran ATF and selected all and it removed everything that select all removes.
I do use Firefox. I first ran ATF under Main and choose select all. After it completed, it wouldn't allow me to click on the Firefox icon at the top. (Also, Firefox is not my default browser. I don't know if that matters?)
The McAfee program I am running is only the anti-virus I believe. When I am in the McAfee SecurityCenter under "Computer &Files Configuration", it says:
Virus protection is enabled
Spyware is enabled
SystemGuard is enabled
Script scanning protection is enabled
Under "Internet and Network Attention" it says:
Your Windows Firewall is disabled
Outbound firewall is not installed on your computer.
Identity Protection is not installed on your computer
It goes on and says other things are not installed like spam protection etc… I do not believe that I have any other firewall program running other than Outpost. How can I check to make certain of this?
I rebooted and the computer seems to be doing the same thing. Started out fine with the cpu usage. About 4 hrs. later it's running at 53%. I will check it in the morning, but I expect that it will be at 100% again. I will post again in the AM to confirm. I will be back again tomorrow evening to check back in.
Here is the copy of the new HJT Log:
Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 11:41:15 PM, on 3/19/2007
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16414)
Hi John,
OK a couple of things to look at here on this.
There are lines in your HJT log that tell me that Outpost is running.
Process:
C:\Program Files\Agnitum\Outpost Firewall\outpost.exe
Service:
O23 - Service: Outpost Firewall Service (OutpostFirewall) - Agnitum Ltd. - C:\Program Files\Agnitum\Outpost Firewall\outpost.exe
Did you use the Outpost firewall at one time? I would recommend uninstalling it using Add or Remove Programs. It has a free version so if you decide to switch back at a later point you could download and install it again. Let's try that first and see what happens then I have some other scans we can try.
Also, can you tell me what process(s) are taking up the CPU cycles?
Regards,
Dave
Hi IndiGenus:
I use OutPost as my firewall program. That's the only firewall program running. I am usually downloading something from eMule and that's the reason for OutPost. I have been using the 2 programs together for a really long time and have never had any cpu usage issues or any conflicts between the two.
But since you mentioned it, I rebooted about 6hrs. ago and closed both programs and my cpu usage is normal. About 1% when the computer isn't doing much. GREAT NEWS!!!!!!
So what should I do?? I can uninstall Outpost as you suggested, but I would also like to re-install it. When I un-install, do I need to do anything else to make sure that the entire program has been deleted? (I know sometimes things get left behind in the registry or other places on the computer.) When it's re-installed, do you think I will have the same problem?
I tried to post a picture of the processes running on my computer, but I don't see or can't figure out how to attach them here. I have 2 pictures of the processes sitting on my desktop. I will post them if you can explain how to attach.
Thanks again,
John
Edited at 12:17am est:
I have uninstalled and re-installed OutPost and will post back in the AM to inform.
Hi IndiGenus:
I am right back a 100% I will remove it again tonite. Do you think we can get OutPost working again properly with my computer?? If not, maybe I should try a different firewall program. What are your thoughts?
Thanks,
John
Well it sounds now like we know the issue is not Malware related. But it does sound like either some kind of conflict or software issue with Outpost (or McAfee). What versions of each of these are you running?
I use OutPost as my firewall program. That's the only firewall program running. I am usually downloading something from eMule and that's the reason for OutPost. I have been using the 2 programs together for a really long time and have never had any cpu usage issues or any conflicts between the two.
Are you sure that your McAfee doesn't include a firewall? And if so is it turned off?
But since you mentioned it, I rebooted about 6hrs. ago and closed both programs and my cpu usage is normal. About 1% when the computer isn't doing much. GREAT NEWS!!!!!!
When you say both programs do you mean Outpost and McAfee? You may want to try to turn off 1 at a time and see what happens. Just be careful running without the Antivirus especially.
So what should I do?? I can uninstall Outpost as you suggested, but I would also like to re-install it. When I un-install, do I need to do anything else to make sure that the entire program has been deleted? (I know sometimes things get left behind in the registry or other places on the computer.) When it's re-installed, do you think I will have the same problem?
You should just be able to use Add or Remove programs. I'm not aware of any uninstall issues with Outpost.
I tried to post a picture of the processes running on my computer, but I don't see or can't figure out how to attach them here. I have 2 pictures of the processes sitting on my desktop. I will post them if you can explain how to attach.
I can see them in your HJT log. I just wanted to know which one(s) was using up the CPU.
Hi IndiGenus:
I apologize for not getting back to you yesterday. I had a very long day!!!
I am pretty certain that McAfee doesn't contain a firewall. All I paid for was the $39 subscription to their anti-virus program. I will take a good look to make sure that there is no firewall on. You can tell that OutPost is running from HJT, but you can't tell if McAfee's got a firewall running?
When I am talking about both programs, I was referring to OutPost and eMule. Also, let me add, no problems for a really long time with OutPost, eMule, and McAfee running in unison.
Let me know if you still want to see the processes running on my system. I will play around with the programs to see which one is taking me up to 100%. I have a feeling its OutPost, but, I will go through the process to confirm this.
Thanks again and have a great night,
John
Hi John,
Yes, your right, I thought I saw an entry in your log for the McAfee firewall but it's not, my bad.
As far as Emule is concerned, it's on the list of good/clean P2P programs, so I wouldn't be too worried about it.
If you can identify the process that's taking up all of your CPU that would be great. I will do a little more research into Outpost as it's not what I use and see if there is any information on this problem.
Let me know what you find.
Dave
Hey IndiGenus:
I have been watching the processes in Windows Task Manager while running eMule, Outpost and McAfee. There is a file in McAfee that opens up called emproxy.exe. This is the process that's eating up all my cpu space. When I end the process, everything go back to normal. The only thing is I don't know what I turned off in McAfee? Maybe I should try uninstalling McAfee? Any thoughts??
John
Wow, if you do a search for that process (emproxy.exe, which is a valid McAfee process related to the email scanner) you will find MANY people who have had the same problem. I'm not sure what to tell you at this point.
Search "emproxy.exe using 100% cpu" on google and maybe you will find something…in particular you may want to visit the McAfee help forums as the seems to be quite a bit of information there on this issue also.
Dave
Hi IndiGenus:
Well, that's cool I guess, at least I should be able to get some answers on how to fix the problem. Thank you very much for all your help and I'll look for you here if I find myself in need of assistance again. Hopefully not of course!!! Administrators can close this thread.
Thanks again,
John
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI