Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93081 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

IE HANGS ON START UP

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 nelclaret

nelclaret

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 04:12 AM

Hello I'm having a recurring, and now more persistent, problem in that IE (7) explorer is hanging/freezing on first start up. I am having to 'X' out back to desktop and sometimes have the devil of a game trying to get back into IE as the Icon doesn't seem to want to work. (I will usually get a 'non-responding program' message as well). Eventually, after a lot of trying I will get back in and it works OK but, as I say, this seems to be becoming the norm rather than the exception. I'm thinking 'it's Tom Coyote time'! In fact thinking about it, my whole start-up may be slow - but perhaps I've got used to it! Any pointers, folks ? Would a system restore going back a while help? Is there somewhewre else I should be looking? Thanks, as ever. Nelclaret

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 12:08 PM

Do you have IE 7.0 set to Open when you turn on your machine (boot)? If so, this can cause some difficulties, since there are likely to be other applications and processes loading at the same time. IE is a relatively large and complicated application, compared to the other more common processes being loaded at StartUp, for instance your AntiVirus, AntiSpyware, and Firewall. Generally speaking, Firewall and AntiMalware applications should be allowed to completely load, BEFORE, starting any other applications and processes. (Note, for example) : IE may be asking for permission to access the Internet, before the Firewall gets completely loaded and able to respond to the request.) "Personally" I like to have as few applications and processes loading automatically at StartUp, as possible. You can use MSCONFIG to "disable" items from Starting at Boot. This won't "hurt" the applications, which can still be activated by clicking on their Icon. In MSCONFIG, you can (as a general rule) safely "disable" everything except your Firewall and Antivirus. Some folks get into this kind of "lag" problem when they have various IM applications, media updaters, and one or more browser set to Open when they turn on their machine. Any of the above apply to you? Best Regards
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

#3 nelclaret

nelclaret

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 05:07 PM

Hi dough IE is not set to open when I boot up as I always have to connect modem (speedtouch) and then click Icon to open IE. I have posted a HJT log over on that forum as I was wondering if I have a virus problem. This IE hanging has only materialised over the last few days (which makes me suspicious). (Sorry to be dense but MSCONFIG ?) Thanks Nelclaret

#4 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 09:18 PM

Hi Nelclaret,

Good thinking to post your HJT over in the Malware Forum at this time. :thumbup:

I will leave it to the trained experts to advise on the log itself, but in the meantime have acquired additional information from your posting of that log that will likely assist you with system related adjustments after you get the "all clear" from the Malware Forum.

Please feel free to post back here after you've completed that work, if elements of your difficulty persist.

Best Regards,
Doug

p.s. MSCONFIG = System Configuration Utility, accessed via Start - Run - (type)MSCONFIG - Enter
System Configuration Utility gives the user access to StartUp, Services, System.ini, Win.ini, and Boot.ini, when necessary to make beneficial changes and adjustment.

Please do not make any changes in MSCONFIG at this time, without the instruction of your Malware Expert, who will be advising you in Malware Removal Forum.
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.