Hello
I'm having a recurring, and now more persistent, problem in that IE (7) explorer is hanging/freezing on first start up.
I am having to 'X' out back to desktop and sometimes have the devil of a game trying to get back into IE as the Icon doesn't seem to want to work.
(I will usually get a 'non-responding program' message as well).
Eventually, after a lot of trying I will get back in and it works OK but, as I say, this seems to be becoming the norm rather than the exception. I'm thinking 'it's Tom Coyote time'!
In fact thinking about it, my whole start-up may be slow - but perhaps I've got used to it!
Any pointers, folks ? Would a system restore going back a while help? Is there somewhewre else I should be looking?
Thanks, as ever.
Nelclaret
Do you have IE 7.0 set to Open when you turn on your machine (boot)?
If so, this can cause some difficulties, since there are likely to be other applications and processes loading at the same time.
IE is a relatively large and complicated application, compared to the other more common processes being loaded at StartUp, for instance your AntiVirus, AntiSpyware, and Firewall.
Generally speaking, Firewall and AntiMalware applications should be allowed to completely load, BEFORE, starting any other applications and processes.
(Note, for example) : IE may be asking for permission to access the Internet, before the Firewall gets completely loaded and able to respond to the request.)
"Personally" I like to have as few applications and processes loading automatically at StartUp, as possible.
You can use MSCONFIG to "disable" items from Starting at Boot.
This won't "hurt" the applications, which can still be activated by clicking on their Icon.
In MSCONFIG, you can (as a general rule) safely "disable" everything except your Firewall and Antivirus.
Some folks get into this kind of "lag" problem when they have various IM applications, media updaters, and one or more browser set to Open when they turn on their machine.
Any of the above apply to you?
Best Regards
Hi dough
IE is not set to open when I boot up as I always have to connect modem (speedtouch) and then click Icon to open IE.
I have posted a HJT log over on that forum as I was wondering if I have a virus problem. This IE hanging has only materialised over the last few days (which makes me suspicious).
(Sorry to be dense but MSCONFIG ?)
Thanks
Nelclaret
Good thinking to post your HJT over in the Malware Forum at this time.
I will leave it to the trained experts to advise on the log itself, but in the meantime have acquired additional information from your posting of that log that will likely assist you with system related adjustments after you get the "all clear" from the Malware Forum.
Please feel free to post back here after you've completed that work, if elements of your difficulty persist.
Best Regards,
Doug
p.s. MSCONFIG = System Configuration Utility, accessed via Start - Run - (type)MSCONFIG - Enter
System Configuration Utility gives the user access to StartUp, Services, System.ini, Win.ini, and Boot.ini, when necessary to make beneficial changes and adjustment.
Please do not make any changes in MSCONFIG at this time, without the instruction of your Malware Expert, who will be advising you in Malware Removal Forum.
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI