This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Computer Going Really Slow, May Have Backdoor Virus

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hey TomCoyote, I recently have been having trouble with my computer. I don't know what the problem is, and none of the virus scanners i use can fix the problem. Also, I have like five svchost.exe in my process list in the task manager, and I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to have that many. I think I might have backdoor trojan viruses. What should I do? - eharri2
Hello eharri2,

Welcome to Tom Coyote forums! These days, a computer going slow can be caused by anything. Having multiple svchost.exe processes in your task manager is normal, I currently have seven running.

Might I ask what virus scanners you use?

Please download, update, and run full scans with Spybot-Search & Destroy and Ad-Aware (links in my sig). Post back your results.

Regards,

Ax
Hey Ax, Alright. For the last month or so, I've been using Bullguard. And when that didn't help, I thought that if I downloaded Windows Defender, that virus scanner might pick up something. But nothing serious ever came up. Also, a lot of the times I scanned files with Bullguard, for some reason it would skip like three hundred or so files. Anyways, I ran scans with Spybot Search and Destroy and with AdAware with full updates, and all they came up with were tracking cookies and some MRU List. I dunno if this will help or not, but here's a list of all my running processes: alg.exe ati2evxx.exe ati2evxx.exe BCMWLTRY.EXE BullGuardUpdate.exe csrss.exe ctfmon.exe DLG.exe explorer.exe firefox.exe iPodService.exe iTunesHelper.exe lsass.exe MDM.EXE MsMpEng.exe NicConfigSvc.exe services.exe smss.exe spoolsv.exe stsystra.exe svchost.exe svchost.exe svchost.exe svchost.exe svchost.exe svchost.exe svchost.exe SynTPEnh.exe System System Idle Process taskmgr.exe tfswctrl.exe winlogon.exe WLTRAY.exe WLTRYSVC.exe Hopefully all that helps. Thanks. - eharri2
Hey Ax,
By the way, I just learned how to specifically look at all the running process with HijackThis. Here's what it looks like:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 9:17:22 AM, on 3/2/2007
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 SP2 (7.00.5730.0011)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MsMpEng.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\WLTRYSVC.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\System32\bcmwltry.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\BullGuard Software\BullGuard\BullGuardUpdate.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7DEBUG\MDM.EXE
C:\Program Files\Dell\QuickSet\NICCONFIGSVC.exe
C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\WLTRAY.exe
C:\WINDOWS\stsystra.exe
C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\cli.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe
C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\BullGuard Software\BullGuard\bullguard.exe
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
C:\Program Files\Digital Line Detect\DLG.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\cli.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Program Files\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.dell.com
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.dell.com
O2 - BHO: DriveLetterAccess - {5CA3D70E-1895-11CF-8E15-001234567890} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswshx.dll
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_08\bin\ssv.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SynTPEnh] C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Broadcom Wireless Manager UI] C:\WINDOWS\system32\WLTRAY.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SigmatelSysTrayApp] stsystra.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATICCC] "C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\cli.exe" runtime -Delay
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [dla] C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BullGuard] "C:\Program Files\BullGuard Software\BullGuard\bullguard.exe" -boot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows Defender] "C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe" -hide
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [AIM] C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe -cnetwait.odl
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [BullGuard] "C:\Program Files\BullGuard Software\BullGuard\bullguard.exe"
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Digital Line Detect.lnk = ?
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~4\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_08\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_08\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~4\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: AIM - {AC9E2541-2814-11d5-BC6D-00B0D0A1DE45} - C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {37A273C2-5129-11D5-BF37-00A0CCE8754B} (TTestGenXInstallObject) - http://asp.mathxl.com/wizmodules/testgen/i…GenXInstall.cab
O16 - DPF: {4FE89055-5300-469E-AFAD-DEB3181EDE76} (PearsonAsstX Control) - http://asp.mathxl.com/applets/PearsonInstallAsst.cab
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/…b?1151965044906
O16 - DPF: {E6D23284-0E9B-417D-A782-03E4487FC947} (Pearson MathXL Player) - http://asp.mathxl.com/books/_Players/MathPlayer.cab
O20 - Winlogon Notify: WgaLogon - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WgaLogon.dll
O20 - Winlogon Notify: winhdn32 - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\winhdn32.dll
O21 - SSODL: WPDShServiceObj - {AAA288BA-9A4C-45B0-95D7-94D524869DB5} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\WPDShServiceObj.dll
O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - ATI Technologies Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
O23 - Service: BullGuard LiveUpdate (BGLiveSvc) - BullGuard Software - C:\Program Files\BullGuard Software\BullGuard\BullGuardUpdate.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Lic NetConnect service (CLTNetCnService) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSvcHst.exe" /h ccCommon (file missing)
O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Computer, Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: NICCONFIGSVC - Dell Inc. - C:\Program Files\Dell\QuickSet\NICCONFIGSVC.exe
O23 - Service: Dell Wireless WLAN Tray Service (wltrysvc) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\System32\WLTRYSVC.EXE
Pardon my stepping in, but I see eharri2 online an no sight of you Ax, so decided to make a quick reply.

Eharri2 - you actually do seem to have a trojan infection and may best handle this situation by posting your HJT Log over in the Malware Removal Forum for qualified Expert recommendation.
Post here:
http://forums.tomcoyote.org/index.php?showforum=27

Best Regards
:thumbup: No problem at all dough, glad you stepped in because I was looking over the processes and didn't see the trojan at first glance. Thanks, Ax

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI