Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 6:48:00 PM, on 2/26/2007
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)
When I try to install a program and I get an error msg:
1607: Unable to install Installsheild Scripting Runtime.
I have gone to services and started Installer with no effect.
Thanks for the reply.
I've gone over this article over the last two days with no results. Some of the solutions I was not able to complete i.e. #2b3 setting installer folder attributes - the properties window does not have a security tab. Also, #9 I am unable to configure DCOM settings as when I am in component services if I click on computers the component services closes.
I am logged on as admin.
Try running the Windows System File Checker utility, which will replace any missing or corrupt system files:
Go to Start|Run, type sfc /scannow (notice space between sfc and /scannow), and press Enter
It may ask you for your Windows Installation CD, then it will continue with the process. This should take between 10-20 minutes.
Thanks Ax
Ran the checker, A few dozen times I got a popup "Files that are required for Windows to run properly must be copied to the DLL Cache." "Insert your Windows XP Professional CD-ROM now." the CD was in the drive so I kept hitting the Retry option on the popup. It would load a little bit then popup again. Seemed to eventually load everything and finish.
Tried to do a program install, Install seemed to run a bit longer but still got the same error code.
I figured you would still run into the error after this. The reason why I suggested it was because you were having issues with the DCOM settings configuration step in the fix. Please try it again and post back the results.
Regards,
Ax
I just noticed Windows Update does not work either. Nothing will install on this machine! It seems like one by one programs are getting corrupted and I cannot fix them! I really didn't want to bomb this thing.
By now, you have probably searched and read many/most MS Knowledge Base articles on this subject, but this one looks the most "promising". http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888019
Please look in your Event Viewer for error reports (in red) that are occuring at the time that you have difficulty with installing software.
Post those Error Codes back here into this thread, since they could provide additional clues to follow up on.
Unfortunately non of the suggestions have worked. I worked around this problem by reformatting the harddrive and selling the computer
My wife bought me a HP machine with Vista, which I absolutly hate, it was the thought that counts. I now have the slowest computer I've used in probably 5 years, not a single one of my programs work on it and not a single peripheral is compatable. But, that is all for another post. Thank you for all your suggestions, it was a valiant effort.
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI