This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

WIN98SE Gone Bad

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I think i the times I used the Internet on my Windows 98 computer, it had been badly infected. I am currently on my WINXP comp. but I still wopuld like to use my 98 for something. Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1 Scan saved at 7:10:57 PM, on 2/24/07 Platform: Windows 98 SE (Win9x 4.10.2222A) MSIE: Unable to get Internet Explorer version! As you see from this, the IE has been completely demolished, my computer has just jumped from average Windows 9x speed to super slow. It also randomly freezes on most apps, or alltogether. This is the hardrive data, and it stays just about the same at all times. This is how it looks with my normal everyday usage. Label: Moo Type: Local Disc File System: FAT32 Used Space: 2.36 GB Free Space: 1.66 GB Capacity: 4.03GB Please help. Adaware had picked up some things. Clamwin froze. registry mechanic fixed some, but not all because for some reason I could not register on that comp. Spydoctor picked up a keylogger and other monitoring programs, but it also would not let me register. Please help, thanks its greatly appriciated.
Hi TrojanSlayer95, As you must realize, this OCP Forum is not specifically for Malware Removal. If you want to experience using the various malware removal tools on this Win98 machine, you might want to run and post a HJT Log over in the Malware Removal Forum. Once you get the "all clear" from your HJT Advisor, post back here with any remaining system related problems. _________ Dare I suggest it?….. Yes, here goes: That's a tiny hard drive, and probably getting pretty old/slow. If you picked up a 20 or 40 gig IDE ATA hard drive (would be running 5400rpm) and made a fresh install of your Win98 operating system, you'd probably notice some performance improvement. Or just consider reformatting and reinstalling on the existing drive. Win98 suffers much more than Win2000 and WinXP as the operating system "ages". It's a pretty well accepted recommendation to do a clean reinstall of Win98 about once annually, or more often if you use the system heavily. Of course, when you reformat a drive, you lose "everything" - any malware, the operating system, the installed Chipset and drivers, any installed applications, and any saved data/files, so carefully consider that before taking any action. Best Regards
Thank you. I might post there, or I might reformat it. i have a bigger hard drive with winxp on it, but it may not be capatible with the other hardware of my computer. I just heard I am getting an old computer with windows xp on it, so i will most likely move my big files to that computer and just salvage the hard drive from what you've told me. I did not realize that any OS 'aged'. :scratch: Oh well i tried. my last breath of hope for that computer and its tiny 13 mb of ram. thanks.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI