This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

In over my head

42 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Not sure what is the best way to test?… I do know that I can not yet uninstall Kodak due to "The WINDOWS INSTALLER SERVICE Could not be accessed" Same error stops me from installing Adobe Reader. 8.0
That's not good:
Did we try this already?
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315346

Try this:

Click on Start.
Select Run.
In the "Open:" field, type: cmd.
Click OK.
An MS-DOS Prompt window will come up on the screen with a blinking cursor at the command line. In this window you will need to do the following:

Type msiexec /unregister and press Enter.
Type msiexec /regserver and press Enter
I perhaps spoke in error it's the Kodak Software updater I can't remove via the ADD/REMOVE console… Kodak is now gone from the Start/programs/menu. I accidentally opened GOOGLE EARTH and got the following message "KML and KMZ files are currently set to open with an application other other than Google Earth. Would you like to restore this functionality." I have given no answer.
Have you tried setting GE as the application for kmz and kml files in Windows? Open an Explorer window (Windows Key plus E) then go to Tools| Folders and to the file type tab. Scroll down to the file types and change them to GE.
As far as GE goes I have tried nothing, I kinda thought if I clicked yes… It would fix it itself but as I was unsure what those were I did nothing and closed the program. I can fix it as you've suggested if that's the best way… Actually GE is a bit down the totem pole of important programs etc. First is general stability, Second security, Third Terrain Navigator PRO, Forth getting Adobe Reader working, Fifth Browsing Mail Etc., Then GE and getting the USB Driver issues etc. Fixed so I can get this Maxtor One touch to backup the system. Oh and of course setting the machine up in such a way so as to prevent future disasters.
Yikes… I came up from last boot. First thing I did was Right clicked on the Nortprot RB to see what was in it.. Probably the Jvale.dll and lo and behold the dang thing spontaneously rebooted for the firstime in quite a while.

First is general stability, Second security, Third Terrain Navigator PRO, Forth getting Adobe Reader working, Fifth Browsing Mail Etc., Then GE and getting the USB Driver issues etc. Fixed so I can get this Maxtor One touch to backup the system. Oh and of course setting the machine up in such a way so as to prevent future disasters.

OK so where do we stand on these? You're HJT log looks good.

Yikes… I came up from last boot. First thing I did was
Right clicked on the Nortprot RB to see what was in it.. Probably the Jvale.dll and lo and behold the dang thing spontaneously rebooted for the firstime in quite a while.

I have no idea what Nortprot RB is. See if the Jvale.dll is back.
Norton Protected Recycle Bin, sorry for the non-standard abbreviation.
Where I stand is just came up from last involuntary reboot. Ran Hijack this. was looking over the log. Wonder what the "017 -HKLM\System\CCS\Services\TCPIP\..\{1904A8F5-780E-4D9E-8722-2B42466BD0 NAMESERVER = 12.127.16.68,12.127.17.72" entry was when it flashed and rebooted again.


Got as far as Win2k startup screen loading 1/4th of the way and froze…

Something has sure gotten it cranky.
UPDATE I have gotten it up in Safe Mode any advice? If you need to think on it for a while or tend to others I understand… It would take but slight effort for me to head to the cabin and download Beer 6.0 for several hours to salve my frustration.
IP Information [removed]
Record Type: IP Address
IP Location: United States - AT&T Worldnet Services
Reverse DNS: smtu.mt.rs.els-gms.att.net
Blacklist Status: Clear

Whois Record


OrgName: AT&T WorldNet Services
OrgID: ATTW
Address: 200 S. Laurel AVE.
City: MIDDLETOWN
StateProv: NJ
PostalCode: 07748
Country: US

Do you have your windows cd?
If you have your windows CD lets do this:

You can use windows sfc (system file checker) You'd need your windows CD to make this work.
Click Start> Run> type sfc /scannow Note the space.
(Note that there is a space between sfc and /scannow)
I am ashamed to confess that I cannot lay my hands own it. Likely it is in the firesafe. As everyone else has gone home for the day I cannot easily get into it. I did manage to get the system to boot into safe mode in order to read the error logs. Trying to delete PCAnywhere right now. Not sure what else to do. the fix to the Windows Installer went away. may throw in the towel and get the WINDOWS disk tomorrow morning. Unless there is another way to create a windows disk that is.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI