This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Printing problem & two weird messages upon turning on.

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1 Scan saved at 11:06:55 PM, on 1/10/2007 Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600) MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180) Hello, I am happy to say that I am malware free thanks to your crew. I have another problem, which is that I cannot print. This problem developed about a year ago, at the time I could not print, so I purchased new ink. This did not remedy the problem. Over the course of the past year, I have simply printed elsewhere. Since then I have purchased a new printer. Alas, this has not helped. I have uninstalled the old one, and installed/ uninstalled/ installed the new one. I solicited help from HP (the manufacturer of my computer and printer) who told me to install the printer once more. They then told me to delete my printer drivers/ USB ports and re-install them. I did that. That was the limit of their aide. I was infected by adware called TBPS, which I read (only a brief mention) might effect (or is it affect?) printing. As I mentioned above, that bastard is removed, but still no printing. I am at a loss. Here is what happens. I can go to a webpage, gmail, or works/word or notepad and from there attempt to print. I recieve no error bubbles nor any warnings. I do get the print prompt that asks to select a printer. The printer grabs the paper and immediately ejects without ANY ink whatsoever. Both printers did this. Regardless of the documet's size, it picks up one paper and ejects as if it where going to print but does not. The two funny messages I get upon loging on are this: Immediately as the computer warms up, I get a file that ends in .exe tobedeleted and a prompt to search for it via Microsoft's web based helper. One prompt says that the file can't be found (as if it is needed) and the other is an attempt to locate it… or to recognize the suffix (ie. it should be .exe NOT .exe tobedeleted). I also have a bubble whenever I click start that says: "Some items cannot be shown". Thanks for the existence of this site. And I hope I was clear enough with my printing problem as that is the one of the utmost importance to me. Best Wishes, Adam
Hi, Sorry to hear of the problem with not being able to get your printers to work. As you say that this problem has been going on for about a year, and according to the posts in the malware forum you have been running without either anti-virus or firewall protection (although now corrected) and you have been using P2P file sharing, this problem may not be easy to resolve without some radical action. The damage that is likely to have ocurred to your system could be significant, and the fact that having received extensive help in uninstalling (both printer and USB) from your printer manufacturer (HP) has not resolved the issue is also not encouraging. Uninstalling your old printer and then reinstalling usually fixes the problem but it is important to follow the installation instructions to the letter. Most printers using (exclusively) USB will require the printer driving software to be installed before the printer is connected and if his is not done then the printer will not print. The first step therefore should be to check the printer properties and ensure that the port is correctly identified as USB and not for example as LPT. Check also the USB cable (by substituting for a known good cable) and that it is securely attached at both ends. The fact that you have uninstalled and then reinstalled your USB under the advice of HP rules out another area, provided of course you have done it correctly! Most printer problems resolve into two areas, its usually either the printer driver/USB installation or a hardware fault. As you have the problem with both printers it is unlikely to be the latter. The best advice must be therefore to examine the printer documentation most thoroughly (download it from HP if any of it is missing) and uninstall everything and then do a complete reinstall of printers and USB under the telephone advice of HP. If that does not do the trick, there is a slim chance that some Windows Protected System Files have been corrupted or are missing and so it would be sensible to run the Windows System File Checker, to do this: 1 Click on Start 2 Click on Run 3 In the box that appears type sfc /scannow please note that the space between the c and the / is essential. Windows will check all your protected system files and if any are missing, corrupted or in the wrong place will ask you to insert your Windows XP SP2 installation disc and will then attaempt a repair. If you can't lay your hands on your disc it is OK to borrow one but it must be the correct Windows disc and not the computer manufacturer's restore disc. You may then need to repeat the uninstall/reinstall process for your printers/USB as detailed above. Failing that it may be time for either a reinstall of Windows or for you to consult your local competent computer technician to check out your work and identify the problem. Good luck Regards paws

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI