This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Automatic Updates kills CPU

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Lately I've been noticing that my computer runs EXCRUCIATINGLY slow… so I went into Task Manager to see what was eating up CPU time…. SWEEPSRV.SYS (Sophos Antivirus' on-access scanner) was taking an awful lot of CPU time and svchost.exe was taking up a lot of memory. Accidentally, I killed svchost and not the scanner… and suddenly Sophos started playing nice again. Further trial-and-error checks showed that the Automatic Update service would cause sophos to start eating up over 50% of my CPU cycles! I haven't updated Sophos recently, and this only just started happening, so I'm not sure what could be causing it… it's pretty unnerving. Is it possible that Automatic Updates has been messed up by microsoft in some new update? Or is it possible I've acquired a virus/other malware? Sophos and HJT seem to turn up clean results, and RootKit Revealer gives me some odd registry results that I don't want to touch just yet. Any advice? Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1 Scan saved at 12:52:13 PM, on 07/01/2007 Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600) MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)
If there's odd results in the rootkit scan I would post a fresh full log in the HJT forum and let them know what is happening and what you have found. The HJT forum can get quite busy but one of the helpers there will help once they are free to do so.
Done, figured as much. Whatever the heck this is, it randomly disables my audio, too…. and it's not just automatic update anymore. Strange. I don't like disabling real time scanning but the computer won't run at any kind of speed with it on anymore

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI