This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

after installing, RootkitRevealer doesnt run

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi there, I thought I give it a go and try running rootkitrevealer myself but after extracting the zip file, and double clicking on the RootkitRevealer.exe icon, nothing happens. I have tried all sorts of things from disableing fast switch user to cleaning out the registry and tempory internet files using ccleaner, and retried extracting the file to a different location, but nothing is making to launch. does anybody here know how to get this RootkitRevealer tool to work? Also, my OS is Windows XP, Home Edition, sp2 and another thing is I disabled windows defender and all McAfee tools
Hi,
Sorry to hear of the problem you are having in running rootkitrevealer.

Providing you have been trying this through an account with the correct Admin priviledges, it might be wise to visit the following:

http://forums.tomcoyote.org/index.php?showforum=27

There are known to be a number of infections that can cause similar behaviour to this, and a trained and experienced advisor, knowledgable in the ways of this sort of infection will be needed to assist you via the above link.

If after posting there, you have to wait a little while for a response, it will be because sometimes the experts on that forum get a bit snowed under with requests for assistance, so if you can, please bear with them, they will get to you as soon as they can.
Regards
paws

Hi,
Sorry to hear of the problem you are having in running rootkitrevealer.

Providing you have been trying this through an account with the correct Admin priviledges, it might be wise to visit the following:

http://forums.tomcoyote.org/index.php?showforum=27

There are known to be a number of infections that can cause similar behaviour to this, and a trained and experienced advisor, knowledgable in the ways of this sort of infection will be needed to assist you via the above link.

If after posting there, you have to wait a little while for a response, it will be because sometimes the experts on that forum get a bit snowed under with requests for assistance, so if you can, please bear with them, they will get to you as soon as they can.
Regards
paws



Thanks for letting me know about some infections can stop rootkitrevealer from launching. Also, I have posted a few days ago, but I thought I give rootkitrevealer a try on my own becuase I havenot heard from anybody yet. I guess this goes to show you that you have to be patient. I hope I did not do anything that will make it harder for the experts in the HJT forum.

Thanks a bunch Bob

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI