This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

HJT Log + RootkitRevealer Log

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Ok so first a little back story. I was prompted to do some malware scans after having explorer.exe crash twice today. That's all that prompted this. First I did a scan with Spybot S&D, which came up clean. Then I did a full system scan with AVG Free 8.0 and it only found non-critical false positives (ActiveX compatibility from Spybot S&D/SpywareBlaster and some cookies in backups of firefox). After that I figured I'd do a rootkit scan and was going to download AVG's Anti-Rootkit. Well on their site it says AVG Free has it integrated, then I come to find out that it really isn't and you have to buy it to use it. Then after reading some reports that installing the standalone Anti-Rootkit could cause some problems, I decided to instead go download RootkitRevealer from Sysinternals. It had a few discrepancies as follows:

HKLM\SECURITY\Policy\Secrets\SAC* 5/1/2008 3:46 AM 0 bytes Key name contains embedded nulls (*)
HKLM\SECURITY\Policy\Secrets\SAI* 5/1/2008 3:46 AM 0 bytes Key name contains embedded nulls (*)
D:\Program Files\Atari\Neverwinter Nights 2\nwn2serve2.exe 10/2/2007 3:06 PM 4.71 MB Visible in Windows API, directory index, but not in MFT.
D:\Program Files\Atari\Neverwinter Nights 2\nwn2server.exe 6/27/2008 3:39 PM 4.71 MB Hidden from Windows API.


Now according to Sysinternals, the registry keys are perfectly fine. However I did searches for nwn2server.exe and came up with nothing but referrences on HJT logs but none with it mentioned as something bad. However I can't find ANY referrences to nwn2serve2.exe ANYWHERE and that's the one that's actually visible in the API. Now the interesting thing is that I don't have Neverwinter Nights 2 currently installed. Those files are leftover from a few reformats ago. So it's particularly suspicious that the timestamp on nwn2server.exe is from today as I haven't done anything with that game since '07. I don't think I've even opened the folder since then. Anyway, I tried to delete nwn2serve2.exe since I could, and did so using the file shredder Eraser using 35 passes. Eraser did its thing, but when it got done, the file was still there except with a file size of 0KB. I can't fully delete the file.

So, I don't have any real evidence of malware activity, just some crashes and that RKR log that made me suspicious. What I really want to know is what the heck is the deal with those NWN2 files, why can't I delete them, and are they a threat.

Here's my HJT log:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 9:06:45 PM, on 6/27/2008
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16674)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MsMpEng.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware 2007\aawservice.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Rundll32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\RUNDLL32.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgtray.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_05\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe
C:\Program Files\COMODO\Firewall\cfp.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgwdsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\COMODO\Firewall\cmdagent.exe
C:\Program Files\CDBurnerXP\NMSAccessU.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\UPHClean\uphclean.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgrsx.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgemc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
D:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\Program Files\Hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_05\bin\ssv.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IMJPMIG8.1] "C:\WINDOWS\IME\imjp8_1\IMJPMIG.EXE" /Spoil /RemAdvDef /Migration32
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PHIME2002ASync] C:\WINDOWS\system32\IME\TINTLGNT\TINTSETP.EXE /SYNC
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PHIME2002A] C:\WINDOWS\system32\IME\TINTLGNT\TINTSETP.EXE /IMEName
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [P17Helper] Rundll32 SPIRun.dll,RunDLLEntry
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG8_TRAY] C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_05\bin\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 8.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows Defender] "C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe" -hide
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [COMODO Firewall Pro] "C:\Program Files\COMODO\Firewall\cfp.exe" -h
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "D:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WinampAgent] "D:\Program Files\Winamp\winampa.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [amd_dc_opt] C:\Program Files\AMD\Dual-Core Optimizer\amd_dc_opt.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SetDefaultMIDI] MIDIDef.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - Startup: Registration .LNK = D:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\common\assassins creed\Register\RegistrationReminder.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: Open Link Target in Firefox - file://C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\bion1w59.default\extensions\{5D558C43-550F-4b12-84AB-0D8ABDA9F975}\firefoxviewlink.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: View This Page in Firefox - file://C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\bion1w59.default\extensions\{5D558C43-550F-4b12-84AB-0D8ABDA9F975}\firefoxviewpage.html
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_05\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_05\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O11 - Options group: [INTERNATIONAL] International*
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://www.update.microsoft.com/windowsupd…b?1209588388796
O20 - AppInit_DLLs: avgrsstx.dll C:\WINDOWS\system32\guard32.dll
O21 - SSODL: WPDShServiceObj - {AAA288BA-9A4C-45B0-95D7-94D524869DB5} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\WPDShServiceObj.dll
O23 - Service: Ad-Aware 2007 Service (aawservice) - Lavasoft - C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware 2007\aawservice.exe
O23 - Service: AVG8 E-mail Scanner (avg8emc) - AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgemc.exe
O23 - Service: AVG8 WatchDog (avg8wd) - AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgwdsvc.exe
O23 - Service: COMODO Firewall Pro Helper Service (cmdAgent) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\COMODO\Firewall\cmdagent.exe
O23 - Service: NMSAccessU - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\CDBurnerXP\NMSAccessU.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: The problem with that nwn2server.exe and nwn2serve2.exe has been resolved. Unless there's something suspicious in the HJT log I suppose this can be locked.
hi,

this is only a guess after reading your post:

Atari\Neverwinter Nights 2
is a game you installed that had a protection component installed with it. to prevent cheating or cracking the game?
some of these are rootkit like and might be difficult to remove. only a guess.

if you really reformatted your hd as opposed to a reinstall the files (all Files) would be gone
The game was originally installed to my D: drive. I had since reformatted my C: drive once or twice but never reinstalled the game. The files all remained intact just no related registry keys for them to actually be installed. As it turned out my D: drive had a few bad sectors which seems to have been the cause of my being unable to delete that file and for the discrepancies that RKR found. A "chkdsk D: /R /F" seems to have fixed the problem. I'll be doing a few more chkdsk's over the next week or so to see if the problem arises again in which case my HDD may be on its way out even though it's practically brand new. NWN2, if I recall correctly, uses SecuROM, but all of the SecuROM files should have only been on the C: drive and in the registry. (it's kinda rootkit-esque in the way it works, but not malicious) The only problems I have now, are now my monitor goes white instead of black when the computer turns it off to conserve power (as per the power options) so I've since disabled that option. Also, if I turn off the monitor via the power button on the monitor itself, it also goes white. When I turn it back on there's a split-second flash of multicolored vertical lines followed by a black screen that hangs for a few seconds before displaying the proper image. I'm getting the impression that my monitor is also about to die. It's an LCD (DCLCD brand) monitor. I was wondering, is there any way that a hardware or software issue on the PC could have messed up the firmware on the Monitor? The timing of it all makes me wonder. So, aside from that, unless my HJT log suggests a problem I think the issue is solved.
hi toyotomi as far as malware goes hjt log looks ok, but not all malware shows up in a hjt log. best thing to do is to rely on your antivirus and anti-malware for any presence of malware. as for the Monitor, i would think of a video card problem first. have you tried the monitor in question on another PC?
Sadly I don't have another computer to try it on at the moment. I'm not sure how the video card would make the monitor white when the computer cuts power to the monitor though. It's really quite an odd occurrence, even on my previous LCD when it went bad it didn't do that heh. I've done thorough scans with AVG Free 8, Spybot S&D both of which came up clean. So looks like I'm ok on that front.
I figure best to reply rather than to start a whole new thread but I've had some suspicious things happen in the last few days.

First off, I've noticed that when running the program Xfire, occasionally when starting it my firewall will pop up saying that another program… one that isn't even running, is trying to accept a connection. The last time this happened it was wmplayer.exe that was trying to connect. I denied access. After that Comodo would show wmplayer.exe as receiving connections including port info, even though wmplayer.exe wasn't even running. I even used several different programs to check if it was running.

Then I was playing some flash/java games at Kongregate.com and at Addictinggames.com, two websites I know are legit. And my firewall popped up saying firefox was trying to receive a connection from an outside IP over TCP port 6000. I denied access to that as well.

Finally, AVG's Resident Shield popped up saying it had detected a virus "WORM/Generic.IMQ" in D:\Program Files\FLAC\uninstall.exe I did some searching and best I can tell it's a false positive. Apparently at least one other person had this happen as well. I also removed the file from the vault and uploaded it to Virustotal and it came back clean. I just found it rather odd that Resident Shield detected when the file hadn't been accessed or even displayed in explorer since it was installed.

After all that happened, I used my firewall settings to block that IP address (which appears to be from somewhere in china) that tried to access through port 6000 and I blocked wmplayer.exe from making connections.

I took a screenshot of Comodo's log on that port 6000 attempt and the subsequent connection attempts through wmplayer.exe. You can see that HERE.

One thing that was easy to tell with ZoneAlarm that I'm having trouble telling with Comodo is if my ports are stealthed or not. Is there any utility out there to test your ports' visibility? Also, is there any way to, and should I, completely block port 6000?

Here's a new HJT log:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 3:28:43 PM, on 7/5/2008
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16674)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MsMpEng.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware 2007\aawservice.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Rundll32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\RunDLL32.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgtray.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe
C:\Program Files\COMODO\Firewall\cfp.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgwdsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\COMODO\Firewall\cmdagent.exe
C:\Program Files\CDBurnerXP\NMSAccessU.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\UPHClean\uphclean.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgrsx.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgemc.exe
C:\Program Files\Hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IMJPMIG8.1] "C:\WINDOWS\IME\imjp8_1\IMJPMIG.EXE" /Spoil /RemAdvDef /Migration32
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PHIME2002ASync] C:\WINDOWS\system32\IME\TINTLGNT\TINTSETP.EXE /SYNC
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PHIME2002A] C:\WINDOWS\system32\IME\TINTLGNT\TINTSETP.EXE /IMEName
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [P17Helper] Rundll32 SPIRun.dll,RunDLLEntry
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RunDLL32.exe NvMCTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG8_TRAY] C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 8.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows Defender] "C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe" -hide
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [COMODO Firewall Pro] "C:\Program Files\COMODO\Firewall\cfp.exe" -h
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "D:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [amd_dc_opt] C:\Program Files\AMD\Dual-Core Optimizer\amd_dc_opt.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SetDefaultMIDI] MIDIDef.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - Startup: Registration .LNK = D:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\common\assassins creed\Register\RegistrationReminder.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: Open Link Target in Firefox - file://C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\bion1w59.default\extensions\{5D558C43-550F-4b12-84AB-0D8ABDA9F975}\firefoxviewlink.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: View This Page in Firefox - file://C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\bion1w59.default\extensions\{5D558C43-550F-4b12-84AB-0D8ABDA9F975}\firefoxviewpage.html
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O11 - Options group: [INTERNATIONAL] International*
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://www.update.microsoft.com/windowsupd…b?1209588388796
O20 - AppInit_DLLs: avgrsstx.dll C:\WINDOWS\system32\guard32.dll
O21 - SSODL: WPDShServiceObj - {AAA288BA-9A4C-45B0-95D7-94D524869DB5} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\WPDShServiceObj.dll
O23 - Service: Ad-Aware 2007 Service (aawservice) - Lavasoft - C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware 2007\aawservice.exe
O23 - Service: AVG8 E-mail Scanner (avg8emc) - AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgemc.exe
O23 - Service: AVG8 WatchDog (avg8wd) - AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgwdsvc.exe
O23 - Service: COMODO Firewall Pro Helper Service (cmdAgent) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\COMODO\Firewall\cmdagent.exe
O23 - Service: NMSAccessU - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\CDBurnerXP\NMSAccessU.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
hi,

if you firewall is blocking these packets, then its doing its job. that screenshot, it looks like most of the traffic is originating from your computer to the internet. i see the last one, as long as your firewall is blocking it theres nothing to worry about. iam not saying its malcious.

Also, is there any way to, and should I, completely block port 6000

no, your firewall is doing its job. you dont really "block" a port, you remove any application or service that might be listening on it.
its a myth that any computer can be hacked. the computer has to have some inside help on it already like a unpatched operating system, application or services that would make it vulnerable to being hacked.
keep windows your browser and software updated and you will be ok.
and of course avoid malware.

the term stealth is a marketing gimmick, heres three external port scanners:

http://www.securitymetrics.com/portscan.adp
http://www.pcflank.com/test.htm
http://linux-sec.net/Audit/nmap.test.gwif.html

a software firewall can often bombard the user with popups, might be useful to poke around the comodo firewall forums or go back to ZA.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI