This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

CS2 suddenly won't open images - Help.

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Well, I never thought I'd be posting here for help. Been a long time since I've been here, and things have sure changed. I posted this here, but it may well end up in the HJT log section… Today (from very early this morning) I've run into some problems and I can't figure them out. Running Win2000Pro SP4; IE 6 (current updates); 1 gb Ram (not sure what else you need to know at the moment) When I started up today it seemed rather slugglish and some of the startups seemed to hang for a while. When I checked the process list explorer was using about 85% of the memory. I ran HJT and checked the logs…didn't find anything much I didn't recognize from previous logs. Had HJT run a startup report…still nothing unusual. Hit a couple of places I check regularly on the net and downloaded an image from a forum I frequent to help someone with a PS fix. Opened CS2 (slow going that was) and then tried to open the image - but it got hung up (this was small low res .jpg, which shouldn't be a problem). Finally got all that closed and ran a scan on the .jpg file - nothing. Last night before I shut down I installed a new JRE runtime update (update 10) which I didn't check first (should never do that, I know), so I went (with a lot of lag time and hanging) to the control panel and uninstalled it. Then rebooted. Still hanging. Uninstalled the old AVG antivirus (which it's been prompting me to do for a couple of weeks now) and installed the new version. While I was at it, I uninstalled Agnitum Outpost (free edition), just incase (had a previous issue with this when I installed cyberhawk which someone recommended to me). Rebooted. Updated AVG and ran a full scan. Updated and ran Spybot S&D; and A2 - found a few minor pains (a couple of malware traces and a few tracking cookies; some 'missing/shared dlls for cyberhawk - all of which I fixed with spybot), but nothing that would account for this. Ran spybot again, this time just checking the system internals and start up scan and found something there (in the startup scan) I've never seen before: Located: System.ini, crypt32chain command: crypt32.dll file: crypt32.dll Located: System.ini, cryptnet command: cryptnet.dll file: cryptnet.dll Located: System.ini, cscdll command: cscdll.dll file: cscdll.dll Located: System.ini, PixVue command: C:\Program Files\PixVue.Com\PixVue\bin\WinLogon.DLL file: C:\Program Files\PixVue.Com\PixVue\bin\WinLogon.DLL size: 45056 MD5: f2b364cb8c26038b60e337f662b9be05 Located: System.ini, sclgntfy command: sclgntfy.dll file: sclgntfy.dll Located: System.ini, SensLogn command: WlNotify.dll file: WlNotify.dll Located: System.ini, wzcnotif command: wzcdlg.dll file: wzcdlg.dll Previous Spybot startup scans have never shown these items (though I recognize the Pixvue one), and I didn't notice them showing in HJT startup lists either. These items have a checkmark next to them, so they aren't disabled. I don't understand why (since these are supposed to be necessary dlls for the windows systems) these suddenly show up in this manner - I know they were part of the system, though these are also highlighted on the list (and the info says if they are highlighted they have changed since the last scan). So, I went into Spybot recovery and restored the most recent fixes. Still nothing. I am at a loss - frustrated and tearing my hair out now. I'm a photographer and I've got to be able to use CS2 - it's fully registered and activated - storebought copy in a box and I've been using it for a while with no problems like this. Help would be much appreciated.
Hi,
Sorry to hear of the problem with the slowdown on your machine and the difficulty with CS2.

I am never sure whether the crypt32chain is a legitimate part of the cryptographic service or if it's a bad guy (VX2 variant)

To check on the current situation with your computer and have an expert determine if undesirable elements are present on your machine, it would be wise to go here and post a HiJackThis log. Please also post the 7 items you found in the SpyBot scan, so they have as complete a picture as possible

http://forums.tomcoyote.org/index.php?showforum=27

A malware removal expert will analyse your HJT log and provide specific advice and detailed instructions on the steps (if any) you need to take.

As you know sometimes it's necessary to wait for a response from the other forum, the volunteers there somtimes get snowed under with folks who need their detailed advice /instructions, however they will get to you as soon as possible.

Regards
paws

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI