This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Hardware or Software Problem?

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Installed IE7 but didn't notice any problems right away. Now my computer: Takes 30 seconds to boot Cursor freezes constantly for a few seconds Cannot get the "add or remove software" to populate. Wait 5 minutes and still just a blank area. Will freeze on just about any area and require a reboot All above sounds like a Software problem…….but Twice the puter stopped booting with a "system boot failure, insert boot disk" error. upon reboot, things were as described above. Here is my Hijack this Header….. Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1 Scan saved at 2:35:02 PM, on 12/21/2006 Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600) MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.5730.0011) Thanks, Chopperdoc
Hello Chopperdoc,

It sounds to me like all of the above could be hardware-related (although hardware and software are logically equivalent). I would suggest you test your hardware. You can start by running chkdsk:
  • Go to Start->Run and type chkdsk c: /r
  • It will probably prompt you to restart and that is fine
  • Once restarted, the check disk utility will run and attempt recovery of any bad sectors of the disk
  • This task may take quite a while, especially if it encounters errors
I would also suggest taking a look at the following to test your drive:
http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic7602.html

Cheers,

Ax
Thanks for the info on the drive checks. I went ahead and reformated my HD before your post.(the install I had was minimal). I'm in the process of checking both HD and haven't encountered any issues yet. Thank you for your input and if I have any further issues, I'll post here cause this site "Rocks" :P Thanks again, Chopperdoc

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI