This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Frustration

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I have just completed a third install of XP Pro on a new Seaagate 250g hard drive. Everything goes well until the computer is turned off and then upon reboot I get a system 32 error. The first one was missing or corrupt 1252.nls file I tried to repair with CD/tried to repair through recovery console command prompt but I am not so confident with this area and no matter what I did I could not get the cd drive to expand. Just kept getting a failed to expand message. In the end I gave up/reformated the partion and did a clean install. Again all seemed to go well, but again upon reboot after being turned off for a few hours I got a different system32 error missing or corrupt ntoskrnl.exe file. Again I tried to repair from cd/even did a reinstall over the top but to no avail. Again I formated and did a clean install and again after being shut down and rebooted I am back to a missing or corrupt 1252.nls file. Restarts are no problem at all and I have run Seagate online diags on the new hard drive - all clear. So in other words I have followed all four steps tfrom Microsoft knowledge base without success. As soon as the computer is turned off for a period of time the error returns. I am all out of ideas and I cant turn the computer off. If anyone can suggest anything I would be grateful. Wth thanks Ladie Jas
Thanks for the tip, thats a great link but that error was repaired with the 3rd clean install. I am back to the 1252.nls error and the steps provided by the microsoft knowledge base are not repairing the problem. Well, let me quailfy that: I have run chkdsk /r and there are no problems. I have tried repairing from the XP cd and that doesnt work I have tried a reinstall over the top of the existing install and that doesnt work When I try to rename and replace the 1252,n.s file I am unable to expand the cd rom drive. I get an error message telling me that the drive could not be expanded. I am able to open the cd from the command prompt, I checked that, but not through the steps outlined in ms kb. Ladie Jas
• expand [CD drive letter]:\i386\USER32.DL_ [drive letter]:\windows\system32
—This copies a pristine copy of the file from the WinXP installation CD to the windows/system32 folder.
from: http://www.smartcomputing.com/techsupport/…p;ErrorID=21778

or:
I really don't know why this file requires Recovery Console.
Maybe it does, maybe it doesn't.

How about System File Checker?

Start - Run - (type)sfc /scannow - enter

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI