This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

redirected internet searches --Help!

28 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

At this point the only option I see is to use that CD and restore the syatem to how it was when it was installed. You'll loose everything on the hard drive. Are there directions on the CD?
I was hoping not to have to do that, but we certainly gave it a good try. I'm not sure if there are directions or not on the recovery disk. I looked at the file names and I'm not sure what is whatl. Do you have any tips on how to download the hard drive in the most efficient manner possible? Is there an easy way to compress files, etc.? I have a small flash drive but most will have to be on cd'r disks. Any tips or suggestions you have on this process will be very welcome. There's a folder called "System Volume Information" and programs named: AUTOEXEC.BAT Info.exe Then there are a lot of other files such as preload, recovery, tools, autorun.inf, desktop.ini, warning.bmp. What would happen if I tried to open Desktop.ini? Do you have a suggestion where to start? NTDETECT.COM
Lets try this if you want to keep trying things:

click Start> Run> type in Msconfig tap enter key.
look in the Startup. Uncheck everything there. ( I'd make a note of the items checked so you can recheck them again if needed)

Reboot.
I did it. There were a lot of things in the start menu. The desktop is still blank with a background and right clicking it does nothing. Is there another step after this? Thanks for keeping trying!
Before doing the below:

Do you any programs like Shell Toys running on the PC?


Hope this will work with the windows CD you have.

to fix the problem without losing your most important data:——–

You need to boot with the CD.
you may repair windows xp by reinstalling main files. the way to do this is using your xp cd and when the chocies appear hit enter to install windows. "DO NOT TYPE R TO GO TO LOAD THE RECOVERY CONSOLE" you will then accept the agreement and then it will ask you
Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

windows will then erase and copy new files to the hard drive. the computer will later boot and when it asks you if you want to boot from the cd dont hit anything just let windows run and theN setup should keep working.
I rebooted with the disc, but had to open the disk with task manager. I'm not sure what to click on to get started. Some of the files are: System Volume Info (an empty folder) cmdcons hp miniNT PRELOAD RECOVERY TOOLS AUTOEXEC.BAT BLOCK.RIN BOOT.INI CMLDR CONFIG.SYS NTDETECT.COM SAVEFILE.DIR USER (file) Autorun.inf (file type: Setup Info) Desktop.ini Info.exe (File type: application) Do you have a clue where I start? These were some of the files on the discs.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI