This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

redirected internet searches --Help!

28 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Please go to Task Manager > File > Run and copy/paste in this line:

regedit.exe /e c:\export.txt "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\explorer.exe"


Then hit enter.

Then use Notepad to go to c:\export.txt

If you cannot find the file, please let me know that fact.

Paste the results here.

Sample:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\explorer.exe]
"Debugger"="C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\grpmnt.exe"
I couldn't find export text. I'm not sure I know how to go to it from notepad. I opened notepad and used the "go to" command in edit, but it said the line wasn't valid or something.
If you can't find it, try this:

Download Registrar Registry Manager from here:
http://www.resplendence.com/download/reglite.exe

Put it in its own folder. You may want to keep this program. It is an excellent free, registry editor.

Copy and paste the follow text into the address bar, then hit 'Go':
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\explorer.exe

In the pane on the right are the values associated with that key.
I need to know about this one -> "Debugger"=

Is there anything listed after "Debugger"=
I followed the instructions/ When the screen came up after running the registry editor, I opened up all the way to Image file execution Options, but there was no file listed called explorer.exe. I didn't see anything called debugger.
Click "Start", "Settings", and then click "Control Panel". Open the "Display" applet.
Click on "Desktop", "Customise Display…" and "Web".
In the box under "Web pages", select all the checkboxes and click "Delete".

#2Next, launch Notepad (Start>All Programs>Accessories), and copy/paste all the blue REGEDIT below to it
Save in: Desktop
File Name: fixme.reg
Save as Type: All files
Click: Save

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Desktop\General]
"WallpaperFileTime"=-
"WallpaperLocalFileTime"=-

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System]
"NoDispAppearancePage"=-
"Wallpaper"=-
"WallpaperStyle"=-
"NoDispBackgroundPage"=-

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
"NoActiveDesktopChanges"=-
"ForceActiveDesktopOn"=-

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop]
"Wallpaper"=-
"WallpaperStyle"=-

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Colors]
"Background"="0 78 152"



On the desktop, doubleclick fix.reg and allow it to run. Let it merge.

Let me know if that worked. You may need to reboot.
I followed the instructions/ When the screen came up after running the registry editor, I opened up all the way to Image file execution Options, but there was no file listed called explorer.exe. I didn't see anything called debugger.
Click "Start", "Settings", and then click "Control Panel". Open the "Display" applet.
Click on "Desktop", "Customise Display…" and "Web".
In the box under "Web pages", select all the checkboxes and click "Delete".

#2Next, launch Notepad (Start>All Programs>Accessories), and copy/paste all the blue REGEDIT below to it
Save in: Desktop
File Name: fixme.reg
Save as Type: All files
Click: Save

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Desktop\General]
"WallpaperFileTime"=-
"WallpaperLocalFileTime"=-

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System]
"NoDispAppearancePage"=-
"Wallpaper"=-
"WallpaperStyle"=-
"NoDispBackgroundPage"=-

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
"NoActiveDesktopChanges"=-
"ForceActiveDesktopOn"=-

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop]
"Wallpaper"=-
"WallpaperStyle"=-

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Colors]
"Background"="0 78 152"



On the desktop, doubleclick fix.reg and allow it to run. Let it merge.

Let me know if that worked. You may need to reboot.

I can't get to the start button, or to the control panel. Should I go ahead and do the second part of the instructions?

What happens when you click start?
Can you do Start> Run and type in Regedit?
There is no start to click. The desktop is totally blank except for the background. There is no task bar at the bottom. I have to navigate to everything w/ ctrl/alt/del and browse to the folder or task I need to open. Do you know what file that those things might be in?
I can use the task manager to open a notepad document and then create a new notepad document to put the regedit 4 information into. I just can't do the first part. Should I do the regedit part in the notepad without customizing the web part of the display?
Download next tool to a place where you'll find it easily:

http://djlizard.net/Dial-a-fix-2006-09-19.exe

Doubleclick Dial-a-fix-2006-09-19.exe to start the program.
Immediately a window will open with on top: "Dial-A-fix : Restrictive policies"
You'll see registry keys.
Check them all and click the remove button below.
Then click close. This should close the policies window.
Then click exit in the main window under it, because we don't need anything from there.

REBOOT your computer afterwards, important.

Now see if things work.
when I opened this, it did not have a window with restrictive policies on top. The file was not Dial-A-Fix-2006-09-19. It was just dial-a-fix.exe and the date modified was 10/27/06. The window that came up has sections called Prep, MSI (fix windows installer) WU/WUAU (Fix Windows Update SSL/HTTPS/Cryptography (fis SSL/HTTPS/Cryptsvc: Registration center:

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI