This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

Websites stop working after visiting certain amount of sites

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Okay I have had this problem for a while now and have been limping along by reseting the computer every time this happens.

The problem is that everytime I seem to visit a certain number (a large number but I dont know exact number) websites in general stop working. The internet (AIM, newsgroups) continue to work alright but the browsers can not connect to any sites (I use Firefox and will try to see if IE produces same results). I have been through many Firefoxes b/c I thought it may have been Firefox but I get same results with all versions.

I know it is not time based because I have turned the computer on in the past, browsed a few sites and came back 8 hours later and it worked fine until the "magic number" was satisfied again. I am pretty computer literate and am baffled by this. I ran Ad aware, Spy bot and the problem still happens. I got Registry Mechanic and still happening. I got Hijack this! and the problem still happens (will post log). I then got ewido as recommended by my brother and all it found was cookies. I tried searching forums to see if this was a "normal" issue but did not come out with anything useful.

Anyway here is the log:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 4:33:22 PM, on 11/12/2006
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
E:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
E:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
E:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
E:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
E:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
E:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
E:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
E:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
E:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
E:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
E:\WINDOWS\system32\CTHELPER.EXE
E:\WINDOWS\SOUNDMAN.EXE
E:\Program Files\DVICO\FusionHDTV\Remote\FusionRc.exe
E:\Program Files\Logitech\SetPoint\SetPoint.exe
E:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
E:\Program Files\Common Files\Logitech\KhalShared\KHALMNPR.EXE
E:\WINDOWS\system32\wscntfy.exe
E:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
E:\Program Files\Winamp\winamp.exe
E:\HijackThis.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WINDVDPatch] CTHELPER.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UpdReg] E:\WINDOWS\UpdReg.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KernelFaultCheck] %systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0 -k
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Logitech Hardware Abstraction Layer] KHALMNPR.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SoundMan] SOUNDMAN.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [FusionRemote] E:\Program Files\DVICO\FusionHDTV\Remote\FusionRc.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Logitech SetPoint.lnk = E:\Program Files\Logitech\SetPoint\SetPoint.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://E:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - ATI Technologies Inc. - E:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
O23 - Service: ATI Smart - Unknown owner - E:\WINDOWS\system32\ati2sgag.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Unknown owner - E:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe (file missing)

Go to where you saved Hijackthis.exe (E:\) right click on Hijackthis.exe click rename, rename it to hjt.exe reopen it make a log then post it here in a reply…
Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1 Scan saved at 8:29:45 PM, on 11/12/2006 Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600) MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180) Running processes: E:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe E:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe E:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe E:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe E:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe E:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe E:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe E:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe E:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe E:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE E:\WINDOWS\system32\CTHELPER.EXE E:\WINDOWS\SOUNDMAN.EXE E:\Program Files\DVICO\FusionHDTV\Remote\FusionRc.exe E:\Program Files\Logitech\SetPoint\SetPoint.exe E:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe E:\Program Files\Common Files\Logitech\KhalShared\KHALMNPR.EXE E:\WINDOWS\system32\wscntfy.exe E:\Program Files\Common Files\Logitech\WebColct\webcolct.exe E:\hjt.exe O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WINDVDPatch] CTHELPER.EXE O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UpdReg] E:\WINDOWS\UpdReg.EXE O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KernelFaultCheck] %systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0 -k O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Logitech Hardware Abstraction Layer] KHALMNPR.EXE O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SoundMan] SOUNDMAN.EXE O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [FusionRemote] E:\Program Files\DVICO\FusionHDTV\Remote\FusionRc.exe O4 - Global Startup: Logitech SetPoint.lnk = E:\Program Files\Logitech\SetPoint\SetPoint.exe O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://E:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000 O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - ATI Technologies Inc. - E:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe O23 - Service: ATI Smart - Unknown owner - E:\WINDOWS\system32\ati2sgag.exe O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Unknown owner - E:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe (file missing)
Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune.
This program is for XP and Windows 2000 onlyDouble-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
Under Main choose: Select All
Click the Empty Selected button.
If you use Firefox browserClick Firefox at the top and choose: Select All
Click the Empty Selected button.
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
If you use Opera browserClick Opera at the top and choose: Select All
Click the Empty Selected button.
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.
For Technical Support, double-click the e-mail address located at the bottom of each menu.

Please go HERE to run Panda's ActiveScan
  • Once you are on the Panda site click the Scan your PC button
  • A new window will open…click the Check Now button
  • Enter your Country
  • Enter your State/Province
  • Enter your e-mail address and click send
  • Select either Home User or Company
  • Click the big Scan Now button
  • If it wants to install an ActiveX component allow it
  • It will start downloading the files it requires for the scan (Note: It may take a couple of minutes)
  • When download is complete, click on My Computer to start the scan
  • When the scan completes, if anything malicious is detected, click the See Report button, then Save Report and save it to a convenient location. Post the contents of the ActiveScan report

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI