This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

Browser Redirect Problems

14 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

salud, This may also be a problem with the software for the class your taking, I would contact them and let them know whats going on and they may have a solution for you.
Hey Ken…maybe its one of those unsolvable problems. :angry: I started with the people running the class. They claim that its not on their end…no one else is having the problem. I was skeptical at first. However, I have no problem accessing the page at work from the network there. I talked to them extensively about it. They said first take it up with my ISP. My ISP gave me the run around and said there was no way it could be them. Then the people running the class said it could be my machine. However, I seem to have no problem with any other page. Anyway I was at the end of my rope and could not avoid the possibility I did have something wrong with my computer in light of the fact of those weird emails. So I posted my question on McAfee's forums and they told me to get HJT and seek help here at Tom Coyote. Maybe the software you sent a link to last will help out. I have given consideration to reformating my hard drive, although I misplaced my Win XP CD.
Let me tell ya, you have a ton of McAfee programs running, myself , I have never been a big fan of there programs, had trouble with it a few years ago and said I would never install there programs ever again. I am looking at around 23 mcafee programs running from your 023 entries, that's a whole lot of things running. I am betting that with all the guards and hacker watch and all the other array of there stuff running that it could be your problem. One thing that I personally suggest is for posters to have a AV program and a Firewall, myself I use Norton AV and ZoneAlarm Firewall, the suites kind of take over your system and I personally don't recommend them. I know its a pain but a lot easier than a clean install of windows, you may try disableling all the Mcafee features, everyone of them and see if it makes a difference. You will find that your system will run a lot better with just one stand alone AV program and a stand alone firewall plus a few Anti Spyware programs thrown in. Ken :D
Hey Ken, I tired the Hoster to no avail. Although, that seemed like a tool on the right track. I am pretty sure that email issue is what got me and redirected some of the IP addresses saved on my computer. Then I tried what you said about disabling the McAfee utilities…all of them. That still did not work. Then I started getting into some areas on my own that I probaly should not have but I was at my wit's end and already contemplating reformatting. I accidently deleted the winsock registry file and in an attempt to reset for winsock settings. Ooops! So now I am going for the reformat, Kill Disk, reinstall WinXP and apps/data. Willing to bet my browser won't redirect after that. Maybe.
Hey Ken, I tired the Hoster to no avail. Although, that seemed like a tool on the right track. I am pretty sure that email issue is what got me and redirected some of the IP addresses saved on my computer. Then I tried what you said about disabling the McAfee utilities…all of them. That still did not work. Then I started getting into some areas on my own that I probaly should not have but I was at my wit's end and already contemplating reformatting. I accidently deleted the winsock registry file and in an attempt to reset for winsock settings. Ooops! So now I am going for the reformat, Kill Disk, reinstall WinXP and apps/data. Willing to bet my browser won't have problems with the redirect after that. Maybe.
That got the Winsock settings. Thanks. :) Still debating whether to reformat or not. The computer feels better in general…like the keystrokes and browsing speed etc. Do you know what I mean? Problem with the browser not fully loading the redirect is still occurring and that's what is driving me nuts! Maybe you have another idea b/c the Hoster seemed close I almost want to see if reformatting the computer would have an effect on the issue or not? Could take my box to work and see if the ISP factor is really as my ISP claims. Who knows? :huh:
salud :D

I would reformat as a last option, although I know people that do that every year just to keep there system clean of all the junk that builds up, myself, I have better things to do. :D


Here are some links to windows tips and some great forums including our own at Tom Coyote, why don't you post in one or two with your problem, let them know that you posted here and your system appears clean.

IE Freezes
It's Not Always Malware


Windows Tech Support Forums

Tom Coyote <– Our own forum
PcPitStop <– You can take your system in for a checkup here.
Bleeping Computer <–Good XP Forum
Windows Helpnet <– Excellent XP Forum
Hardwareguys <– Another good one

Speedup Windows
TechBuilder


Windows Tips
Techruler
Kellys Korner



How did I get infected in the first place ? Read these links and find out how to prevent getting infected again.

System Restore <– Do this first to prevent reinfecting yourself.
TonyKlein CastleCops
Grinler BleepingComputer
Geeks To Go

Thanks for stopping by Tom Coyote


I will keep this thread open for you for a week or so in case you need to post back.
Glad we could be of assistance. This topic is now closed. If you wish it reopened, please send us an email (Click for address) with a link to your thread.

Do not bother contacting us if you are not the topic starter. A valid, working link to the closed topic is required along with the user name used. If the user name does not match the one in the thread linked, the email will be deleted.
Make sure you use proper prevention to keep from having problems occur to your computer in the future.

Coyote's Installed programs for prevention:

http://forums.tomcoyote.org/index.php?showtopic=31418

The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online.

Visit the CoyoteStore http://TomCoyote.org/coyotestore.php

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI