This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

Ad-Aware or SpyBot?

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I ran a SpyBot S&D scan on my Windows 2003 SBS server this morning and it came up as clean. I even remembered to check for updates before scanning. :-)

To be sure, I ran an Ad-Aware scan shortly thereafter and it came up with the Trojan ZLOB Downloader. I checked to make sure that SpyBot detects this and it does. Then I checked and saw that Symantec detects it as well, so I ran Symantec (Corp Ed. 9.0) with the spyware detection enabled. That scan came up clean.

So, I've downloaded HijackThis! and ran a scan and here's the results. I don't know if HJT will detect trojans or not, but here's the log file….
Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 9:49:38 AM, on 10/12/2006
Platform: Windows 2003 (WinNT 5.02.3790)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 (6.00.3790.0000)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\DefWatch.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Dfssvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\dns.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\inetsrv\inetinfo.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\CBA\pds.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL$SBSMONITORING\Binn\sqlservr.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL$SHAREPOINT\Binn\sqlservr.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Symantec\SYMANT~1\NSCTOP.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntfrs.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL$SBSMONITORING\Binn\sqlagent.EXE
C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\Rtvscan.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\wins.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\tcpsvcs.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ams_ii\hndlrsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\MsgSys.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ams_ii\iao.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\cba\xfr.exe
C:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\bin\exmgmt.exe
C:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\bin\mad.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\MSSearch\Bin\mssearch.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\bin\store.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\rdpclip.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intuit\QuickBooks\QBUpdate\qbupdate.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Tools\Binn\sqlmangr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\mmc.exe
C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware SE Personal\Ad-Aware.exe
C:\WINDOWS\regedit.exe
C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\VPC32.exe
D:\SharedData\John\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://companyweb
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard,ShellNext = http://companyweb/_layouts/1033/user.aspx
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O3 - Toolbar: @msdxmLC.dll,-1@1033,&Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\msdxm.ocx
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DWPersistentQueuedReporting] C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\MICROS~1\DW\DWTRIG20.EXE -a
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [vptray] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMANT~1\VPTray.exe
O4 - Startup: Server Management.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Windows Small Business Server\Administration\LaunchConsole.exe
O4 - Global Startup: QuickBooks Update Agent.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intuit\QuickBooks\QBUpdate\qbupdate.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Service Manager.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Tools\Binn\sqlmangr.exe
O9 - Extra button: Related - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINDOWS\web\related.htm
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Show &Related Links - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINDOWS\web\related.htm
O14 - IERESET.INF: START_PAGE_URL=http://companyweb
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdat…b?1151734262453
O16 - DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} (MUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdat…b?1151734219343
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\Parameters: Domain = quality.charter.local
O17 - HKLM\Software\..\Telephony: DomainName = quality.charter.local
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{1096E69F-3D87-4209-85B9-B5E421B1E677}: NameServer = 24.217.0.5,24.159.64.21
O17 - HKLM\System\CS1\Services\Tcpip\Parameters: Domain = quality.charter.local
O17 - HKLM\System\CS1\Services\Tcpip\..\{1096E69F-3D87-4209-85B9-B5E421B1E677}: NameServer = 24.217.0.5,24.159.64.21
O17 - HKLM\System\CS2\Services\Tcpip\Parameters: Domain = quality.charter.local
O17 - HKLM\System\CS2\Services\Tcpip\..\{1096E69F-3D87-4209-85B9-B5E421B1E677}: NameServer = 24.217.0.5,24.159.64.21
O20 - Winlogon Notify: NavLogon - C:\WINDOWS\system32\NavLogon.dll
O23 - Service: Symantec AntiVirus Definition Watcher (DefWatch) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\DefWatch.exe
O23 - Service: Intel Alert Handler - Intel® Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ams_ii\hndlrsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Intel Alert Originator - Intel® Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ams_ii\iao.exe
O23 - Service: Intel File Transfer - Intel® Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\cba\xfr.exe
O23 - Service: Intel PDS - Intel® Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\CBA\pds.exe
O23 - Service: MSSQL$SHAREPOINT - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL$SHAREPOINT\Binn\sqlservr.exe" -sSHAREPOINT (file missing)
O23 - Service: Symantec System Center Discovery Service (NSCTOP) - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\Symantec\SYMANT~1\NSCTOP.EXE
O23 - Service: QuickBooksDB - Intuit, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\Intuit\QUICKB~1\QBDBMgrN.exe
O23 - Service: SQLAgent$SHAREPOINT - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL$SHAREPOINT\Binn\sqlagent.EXE" -i SHAREPOINT (file missing)
O23 - Service: Symantec AntiVirus - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\Rtvscan.exe

Anyone see anything that we *shouldn't* have??? I'm thinking that either there's a new variant of the ZLOB trojan or Ad-Aware gave me a false-alarm.

FYI, in case anyone here hangs out at SWI, I posted this there too. :-) I figure there's probably a large overlap, but there will probably be some different eyes here than there. 'Preciate it!
FWIW, I ran a scan using Kaspersky's on-line scanner and it didn't find anything either. Do you think it's safe to say that Ad-Aware gave me a false alarm?

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI