Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93085 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Windows cannot create a shortcut here BLAH BLAH BLAH

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Peter2

Peter2

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 07:59 PM

When I click on some items I get a popup stating;

"Windows cannot create a shortcut here. Do you want the shortcut to be placed on the desktop instead? Yes, No"

If I say yes, a folder is created. Then when I double click on that folder the program finally opens...
If I say no then the program does not open.

Example... I click Start, Run and I get the above message "Windows cannot create a shortcut here.."
Then after saying Yes, I've got a new folder with the name "Shortcup to &Run".

This happens with Search and Help also.

Thanks!

Edited by Peter2, 24 September 2006 - 08:02 PM.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 08:20 PM

Sounds like some Operating System files have gotten corrupted or gone missing. I presume that you weren't actually trying to "create a shortcut" from your Run command line. See if you can run Windows File Protection System File Checker Start - Run - (type)sfc /scannow If it won't let you run SFC, then we man need to do a Repair from the Recovery Console. Best Regards
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

#3 Peter2

Peter2

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 02:48 PM

Hey dough... Thanks for the reply. I've run the utility but nothing happens after it's done except that it closes. Maybe that's a good thing? (usually not in my universe)

#4 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 03:34 PM

Probably no change to your Run function, since SFC apparently did not identify any missing or corrupt files. The SFC runtime should have been aout 20 minutes. If it was much shorter, like 1 or 2 minutes, SFC probably did not run. Feedback would be appreciated on that time interval. Are you saying that your "browse" or pulldown menu is not functioning? We may be looking at a Repair Installation here. Please keep us informed of your progress. Best Regards

#5 Peter2

Peter2

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 04:13 PM

It took about 10 - 15 minutes to complete.

"Are you saying that your "browse" or pull-down menu is not functioning?"

Doesn't really apply...not sure what you are referring to.

At the moment this behavior isn't happening.
The next time it does I will run that utility again and maybe it will find something...

#6 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 05:32 PM

OK, thanks for the update. Glad you're not experiencing the problem. Please feel welcome to post back as needed. Best Regards

#7 Aging Hippie

Aging Hippie

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 09:21 PM

I have a very similar problem but much more serious, and it's driving me crazy. Once in a while, usually when I have a lot of things running and Bearshare is gobbling bandwidth, the system will stop responding. Once I get control of the machine back, I go to the start menu and the recently used programs have changed into a black box. Also, the quick launch bar is disabled, even though the taskbar was locked. If I click start, run... I get the cannot create a shortcut here etc. response. The only thing I can do is reboot the machine. Once I reboot, I have to unlock the taskbar before I can turn the quick launch back on, and then it's the wrong size and I have to resize it. I'm running Trend, and it finds nothing. The problem persisted through a change of motherboard, CPU, memory, video card, and DVD. I have SP2 installed. The problem existed before and after installing IE7. Any help would be appreciated.