This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Windows cannot create a shortcut here BLAH BLAH BLAH

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

When I click on some items I get a popup stating;

"Windows cannot create a shortcut here. Do you want the shortcut to be placed on the desktop instead? Yes, No"


If I say yes, a folder is created. Then when I double click on that folder the program finally opens…
If I say no then the program does not open.

Example… I click Start, Run and I get the above message "Windows cannot create a shortcut here.."
Then after saying Yes, I've got a new folder with the name "Shortcup to &Run".


This happens with Search and Help also.

Thanks!
Sounds like some Operating System files have gotten corrupted or gone missing. I presume that you weren't actually trying to "create a shortcut" from your Run command line. See if you can run Windows File Protection System File Checker Start - Run - (type)sfc /scannow If it won't let you run SFC, then we man need to do a Repair from the Recovery Console. Best Regards
Hey dough… Thanks for the reply. I've run the utility but nothing happens after it's done except that it closes. Maybe that's a good thing? (usually not in my universe)
Probably no change to your Run function, since SFC apparently did not identify any missing or corrupt files. The SFC runtime should have been aout 20 minutes. If it was much shorter, like 1 or 2 minutes, SFC probably did not run. Feedback would be appreciated on that time interval. Are you saying that your "browse" or pulldown menu is not functioning? We may be looking at a Repair Installation here. Please keep us informed of your progress. Best Regards
It took about 10 - 15 minutes to complete.

"Are you saying that your "browse" or pull-down menu is not functioning?"

Doesn't really apply…not sure what you are referring to.

At the moment this behavior isn't happening.
The next time it does I will run that utility again and maybe it will find something…
I have a very similar problem but much more serious, and it's driving me crazy. Once in a while, usually when I have a lot of things running and Bearshare is gobbling bandwidth, the system will stop responding. Once I get control of the machine back, I go to the start menu and the recently used programs have changed into a black box. Also, the quick launch bar is disabled, even though the taskbar was locked. If I click start, run… I get the cannot create a shortcut here etc. response. The only thing I can do is reboot the machine. Once I reboot, I have to unlock the taskbar before I can turn the quick launch back on, and then it's the wrong size and I have to resize it. I'm running Trend, and it finds nothing. The problem persisted through a change of motherboard, CPU, memory, video card, and DVD. I have SP2 installed. The problem existed before and after installing IE7. Any help would be appreciated.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI