This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

Windows XP not working properly

14 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi,
I'm having problems with my Windowxs XP. My toolbar keeps disappearing and I can't use system restore. I ran the HiJackThis and here is my log…I would appreciate any feedback on this log since I don't have a clue on how to read it.Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 2:57:16 AM, on 9/22/2006
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\CA\eTrust Internet Security Suite\eTrust EZ Antivirus\ISafe.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\IMGrabber2.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\HPZipm12.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\CA\eTrust Internet Security Suite\eTrust EZ Antivirus\VetMsg.exe
C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\Core\smax4pnp.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\DVDLauncher.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\IMGrabber2.exe
C:\Program Files\Viewpoint\Viewpoint Manager\ViewMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\CA\eTrust Internet Security Suite\eTrust EZ Antivirus\CAVTray.exe
C:\Program Files\CA\eTrust Internet Security Suite\eTrust EZ Antivirus\CAVRID.exe
C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxpers.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe
C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\Program Files\ResChanger 2005\ResChanger2005.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\P2PNET~1\P2PNET~1.EXE
C:\Program Files\Kodak\Kodak EasyShare software\bin\EasyShare.exe
C:\Program Files\Kodak\KODAK Software Updater\7288971\Program\Kodak Software Updater.exe
C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\ymsgr_tray.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Program Files\New Folder\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.dell4me.com/myway
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://dsl.sbc.yahoo.com/?.mt=VTCxlp2MhYpa…0&.td=-4969
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://red.clientapps.yahoo.com/customize/…rch/search.html
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.dell4me.com/myway
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =
R3 - Default URLSearchHook is missing
O2 - BHO: BHObj Class - {00000010-6F7D-442C-93E3-4A4827C2E4C8} - C:\WINDOWS\nem220.dll (file missing)
O2 - BHO: Yahoo! Companion BHO - {02478D38-C3F9-4efb-9B51-7695ECA05670} - C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\COMPAN~1\Installs\cpn\ycomp5_5_7_0.dll
O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: DriveLetterAccess - {5CA3D70E-1895-11CF-8E15-001234567890} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswshx.dll
O2 - BHO: BHObj Class - {8F4E5661-F99E-4B3E-8D85-0EA71C0748E4} - C:\WINDOWS\wsem303.dll (file missing)
O3 - Toolbar: &Yahoo! Companion - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\COMPAN~1\Installs\cpn\ycomp5_5_7_0.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SoundMAXPnP] C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\Core\smax4pnp.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\jusched.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DVDLauncher] "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\DVDLauncher.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KernelFaultCheck] %systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0 -k
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IMGrabber2] C:\WINDOWS\system32\IMGrabber2.exe UI
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ViewMgr] C:\Program Files\Viewpoint\Viewpoint Manager\ViewMgr.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CaAvTray] "C:\Program Files\CA\eTrust Internet Security Suite\eTrust EZ Antivirus\CAVTray.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CAVRID] "C:\Program Files\CA\eTrust Internet Security Suite\eTrust EZ Antivirus\CAVRID.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Software Update] "C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [igfxtray] C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [igfxhkcmd] C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [igfxpers] C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxpers.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MediaPipe P2P Loader] "C:\Program Files\p2pnetworks\mpp2pl.exe" /H
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UpdateManager] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sonic\Update Manager\sgtray.exe" /r
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [dla] C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Yahoo! Pager] C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\ypager.exe -quiet
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [BgMonitor_{79662E04-7C6C-4d9f-84C7-88D8A56B10AA}] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\Lib\NMBgMonitor.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [PhotoShow Deluxe Media Manager] C:\PROGRA~1\Snapfish\SNAPFI~1\data\Xtras\mssysmgr.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ResChanger 2005] C:\Program Files\ResChanger 2005\ResChanger2005.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Kodak EasyShare software.lnk = C:\Program Files\Kodak\Kodak EasyShare software\bin\EasyShare.exe
O4 - Global Startup: KODAK Software Updater.lnk = C:\Program Files\Kodak\KODAK Software Updater\7288971\Program\Kodak Software Updater.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Search - http://edits.mywebsearch.com/toolbaredits/…?p=ZCxdm543YYUS
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Viewpoint Search - res://C:\Program Files\Viewpoint\Viewpoint Toolbar V35\ViewBar.dll/CXTSEARCH.HTML
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\npjpi150_02.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\npjpi150_02.dll
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {4528BBE0-4E08-11D5-AD55-00010333D0AD} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\yhexbmes0521.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Yahoo! Messenger - {4528BBE0-4E08-11D5-AD55-00010333D0AD} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\yhexbmes0521.dll
O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Shdocvw.dll
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {15AD6789-CDB4-47E1-A9DA-992EE8E6BAD6} - http://static.windupdates.com/cab/WebsiteA…e/bridge-c2.cab
O16 - DPF: {1D4DB7D2-6EC9-47A3-BD87-1E41684E07BB} - http://ak.exe.imgfarm.com/images/nocache/f…tup1.0.0.15.cab
O16 - DPF: {406B5949-7190-4245-91A9-30A17DE16AD0} (Snapfish Activia) - http://www.snapfish.com/SnapfishActivia.cab
O16 - DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} (MUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdat…b?1146343469875
O16 - DPF: {8A94C905-FF9D-43B6-8708-F0F22D22B1CB} (Wwlaunch Control) - http://www.worldwinner.com/games/shared/wwlaunch.cab
O16 - DPF: {8FCDF9D9-A28B-480F-8C3D-581F119A8AB8} (MediaGatewayX) - http://static.zangocash.com/cab/Seekmo/ie/bridge-c24.cab
O16 - DPF: {917623D1-D8E5-11D2-BE8B-00104B06BDE3} (CamImage Class) - http://65.17.157.23/activex/AxisCamControl.cab
O16 - DPF: {9600F64D-755F-11D4-A47F-0001023E6D5A} (Shutterfly Picture Upload Plugin) - http://web1.shutterfly.com/downloads/Uploader.cab
O16 - DPF: {A90A5822-F108-45AD-8482-9BC8B12DD539} (Crucial cpcScan) - http://www.crucial.com/controls/cpcScanner.cab
O16 - DPF: {DF780F87-FF2B-4DF8-92D0-73DB16A1543A} (PopCapLoader Object) - http://download.games.yahoo.com/games/web_…aploader_v6.cab
O16 - DPF: {E856B973-45FD-4559-8F82-EAB539144667} (Dell PC Checkup Installer Control) - http://pccheckup.dellfix.com/rel/35/install/gtdownde.cab
O16 - DPF: {FAE74270-E5EE-49C3-B816-EA8B4D55F38F} (H2hPool Control) - http://www.worldwinner.com/games/v51/h2hpool/h2hpool.cab
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{0359B81C-AD26-497F-A6ED-7140926A0C2E}: NameServer = 68.94.156.1 68.94.157.1
O20 - Winlogon Notify: igfxcui - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\igfxdev.dll
O20 - Winlogon Notify: WgaLogon - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WgaLogon.dll
O23 - Service: CAISafe - Computer Associates International, Inc. - C:\Program Files\CA\eTrust Internet Security Suite\eTrust EZ Antivirus\ISafe.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: iPodService - Apple Computer, Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: MGS - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\IMGrabber2.exe
O23 - Service: Intel NCS NetService (NetSvc) - Intel® Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\PROSetWired\NCS\Sync\NetSvc.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
O23 - Service: Pml Driver HPZ12 - HP - C:\WINDOWS\system32\HPZipm12.exe
O23 - Service: VET Message Service (VETMSGNT) - Computer Associates International, Inc. - C:\Program Files\CA\eTrust Internet Security Suite\eTrust EZ Antivirus\VetMsg.exe
Hi Jenny718 and welcome to the TomCoyote forums.
My name is Vino Rosso - if it helps, you can call me Vino for short. I would be glad to take a look at your log and help you with solving any malware problems. HijackThis logs can take a little time to research and, while I complete my training, all my recommended fixes will be checked by an expert.

Please be patient and I'd be grateful if you would note the following:
  • I will working on your Malware issues, this may or may not, solve other issues you have with your machine.
  • The fixes are specific to your problem and should only be used for this issue on this machine.
  • Please continue to review my answers until I tell you your machine appears to be clear. Absence of symptoms does not mean that everything is clear.
  • It's often worth reading through these instructions and printing them for ease of reference.
  • If you don't know or understand something, please don't hesitate to say or ask!! It's better to be sure and safe than sorry.
  • Finally, please reply to this thread. Do not start a new topic.
I'll be back soon once I've checked out your log.
Thanks
Vino
Vino, Thanks for your wilingness to help, because this is drving me crazy. I have 3 windows desktops and 2 of the three don't have the windows toolbar…Forgive me if it takes a minute for me to reply to any of your posting, but I am new to these kinds of forums and still have a tough time navigating them, but I will continue to check on your postings. Thanks again for helping me out… Jennyy
Hi Jenny

Just before we start, I'd like to provide you with some information about Viewpoint. Viewpoint components are installed as a side effect of installing other software, most notably AOL and AOL Instant Messenger (AIM). Viewpoint Manager is responsible for managing and updating Viewpoint Media Player’s components. You can disable this using the Viewpoint Manager Control Panel found in the Windows Control Panel menu. By selecting "Disable auto-updating for the Viewpoint Manager", the player will no longer attempt to check for updates. Anything that is installed without your consent is suspect. Read what Viewpoint says and make your own decision.

To provide a satisfying consumer experience and to operate effectively, the Viewpoint Media Player periodically sends information to servers at Viewpoint. Each installation of the Viewpoint Media Player is identifiable to Viewpoint via a Customer Unique Identifier (CUID), an alphanumeric identifier embedded in the Viewpoint Media Player. The Viewpoint Media Player randomly generates the CUID during installation and uses it to indicate a unique installation of the product. A CUID is never connected to a user's name, email address, or other personal contact information. CUIDs are used for the sole purpose of filtering redundant information. Each of these information exchanges occurs anonymously.

I recommend that you remove the Viewpoint products; however, the decision is yours.

1 - Firewall
I have looked through your HJT log and cannot see any sign that you are using a firewall. Have you got Windows XP firewall running? If not, please turn it on (Control Panel | Windows Firewall). This is better than nothing, but it only protects against incoming traffic. It doesn't protect you against outgoing baddies trying to "phone home". I will make some further recommendations once we have cleaned your computer.

2 - Show hidden files
Next we need to show hidden files and folders.
In Windows Explorer, select Tools > Folder Options > View
Set 'Hidden files and folders' to Show hidden files and folders
Untick Hide protected operating system files.
OK

3 - Stop processes
Using Task Manager, stop the following processes
Press the Ctrl, Alt, and Delete keys together to open Task Manager
Click the 'Processes' tab
Click on 'Image Name' to sort the processes alphabetically
Scroll down, right-click and select 'End Process' on the following entries if they exist
OK any warnings.
IMGrabber2.exe
P2PNETWORKS.EXE
ViewMgr.exe
<== Optional but recommended
Close Task Manager

4 - Remove Programs
Go to Start > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs
If present, remove the following programs:
** Take care when answering any questions posed by an uninstaller. Some questions may be worded to deceive you into keeping the program.
IMGrabber
Media Pipe
P2P Networks
Viewpoint or Viewpoint Manager
<== Optional but recommended

While in Add/Remove Programs, look for all previous installed versions of Java. (J2SE Runtime Environment…. )
(It should have this icon next to it: [external image: Posted Image])
Click that entry and then click on the Change/Remove button and follow the instructions to remove Java.
Repeat to remove all versions of Java.

5 - Run HJT Scan
Run a scan with HijackThis and tick the following entries, if present:
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.dell4me.com/myway
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://red.clientapps.yahoo.com/customize/…rch/search.html
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.dell4me.com/myway
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =
R3 - Default URLSearchHook is missing O2 - BHO: BHObj Class - {00000010-6F7D-442C-93E3-4A4827C2E4C8} - C:\WINDOWS\nem220.dll (file missing)
O2 - BHO: BHObj Class - {8F4E5661-F99E-4B3E-8D85-0EA71C0748E4} - C:\WINDOWS\wsem303.dll (file missing)
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KernelFaultCheck] %systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0 -k
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IMGrabber2] C:\WINDOWS\system32\IMGrabber2.exe UI
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ViewMgr] C:\Program Files\Viewpoint\Viewpoint Manager\ViewMgr.exe
<== Optional but recommended
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MediaPipe P2P Loader] "C:\Program Files\p2pnetworks\mpp2pl.exe" /H
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Search - http://edits.mywebsearch.com/toolbaredits/…?p=ZCxdm543YYUS
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Viewpoint Search - res://C:\Program Files\Viewpoint\Viewpoint Toolbar V35\ViewBar.dll/CXTSEARCH.HTML
O16 - DPF: {15AD6789-CDB4-47E1-A9DA-992EE8E6BAD6} - http://static.windupdates.com/cab/WebsiteA…e/bridge-c2.cab
O16 - DPF: {1D4DB7D2-6EC9-47A3-BD87-1E41684E07BB} - http://ak.exe.imgfarm.com/images/nocache/f…tup1.0.0.15.cab
O16 - DPF: {8FCDF9D9-A28B-480F-8C3D-581F119A8AB8} (MediaGatewayX) - http://static.zangocash.com/cab/Seekmo/ie/bridge-c24.cab
O16 - DPF: {DF780F87-FF2B-4DF8-92D0-73DB16A1543A} (PopCapLoader Object) - http://download.games.yahoo.com/games/web_…aploader_v6.cab
O23 - Service: MGS - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\IMGrabber2.exe


Close all windows except HijackThis
Select Fix Checked in HijackThis.

6 - Delete suspect files/folders
Using Windows Explorer, browse for the following folders and delete as instructed
NB Some folders may have already been deleted by earlier actions so don't worry if you do not see them:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\IMGrabber2.exe <=== This file only

C:\Program Files\p2pnetworks <=== This folder only
C:\Program Files\Viewpoint <=== This folder only - optional but recommended

Empty the Recycle Bin by right-clicking the Recycle Bin icon on your Desktop, and then clicking Empty Recycle Bin.

7 - Update Java
Download and install the newest version of Java Runtime Environment, update 8, from >here<

8 - Check on status
After you have completed the above, please reboot and provide a new HijackThis log and let me know how your PC is behaving.

Remember, it's worth printing these instructions out before you start.

Good Luck
Vino
Vino,
I did everything on the list. The P2Pnetworks file wasn't in the Program Files and I didn't have IMGrabber in my Add\Remove Programs but it was in the Windows\system32 folder. In step three I was suppossed to click the "processes" tab in the task manager but there wasn't any tabs when I opened task manager. Don't know what that's all about. I still don't have any toolbar and when I do open any windows and try and close them they just disappear. They seem to be going off to the right of the screen, but I have no way of telling since I can see them. I would appreciate any further help you may be (oh yeah, my windows firewall was on, so I don't know why it's saying that it wasn't) Here is my update log, I will wait patiently for your reply:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 12:40:39 AM, on 9/26/2006
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\Core\smax4pnp.exe
C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\DVDLauncher.exe
C:\Program Files\CA\eTrust Internet Security Suite\eTrust EZ Antivirus\CAVTray.exe
C:\Program Files\CA\eTrust Internet Security Suite\eTrust EZ Antivirus\CAVRID.exe
C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxpers.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe
C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_08\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\Program Files\ResChanger 2005\ResChanger2005.exe
C:\Program Files\Kodak\Kodak EasyShare software\bin\EasyShare.exe
C:\Program Files\Kodak\KODAK Software Updater\7288971\Program\Kodak Software Updater.exe
C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\ymsgr_tray.exe
C:\Program Files\CA\eTrust Internet Security Suite\eTrust EZ Antivirus\ISafe.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\HPZipm12.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\CA\eTrust Internet Security Suite\eTrust EZ Antivirus\VetMsg.exe
C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
C:\Program Files\New Folder\HijackThis.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://dsl.sbc.yahoo.com/?.mt=VTCxlp2MhYpa…0&.td=-4969
O2 - BHO: BHObj Class - {00000010-6F7D-442C-93E3-4A4827C2E4C8} - C:\WINDOWS\nem220.dll (file missing)
O2 - BHO: Yahoo! Companion BHO - {02478D38-C3F9-4efb-9B51-7695ECA05670} - C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\COMPAN~1\Installs\cpn\ycomp5_5_7_0.dll
O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: DriveLetterAccess - {5CA3D70E-1895-11CF-8E15-001234567890} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswshx.dll
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_08\bin\ssv.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Yahoo! Companion - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\COMPAN~1\Installs\cpn\ycomp5_5_7_0.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SoundMAXPnP] C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\Core\smax4pnp.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DVDLauncher] "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\DVDLauncher.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CaAvTray] "C:\Program Files\CA\eTrust Internet Security Suite\eTrust EZ Antivirus\CAVTray.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CAVRID] "C:\Program Files\CA\eTrust Internet Security Suite\eTrust EZ Antivirus\CAVRID.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Software Update] "C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [igfxtray] C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [igfxhkcmd] C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [igfxpers] C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxpers.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UpdateManager] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sonic\Update Manager\sgtray.exe" /r
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [dla] C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_08\bin\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Yahoo! Pager] C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\ypager.exe -quiet
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [BgMonitor_{79662E04-7C6C-4d9f-84C7-88D8A56B10AA}] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\Lib\NMBgMonitor.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [PhotoShow Deluxe Media Manager] C:\PROGRA~1\Snapfish\SNAPFI~1\data\Xtras\mssysmgr.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ResChanger 2005] C:\Program Files\ResChanger 2005\ResChanger2005.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Kodak EasyShare software.lnk = C:\Program Files\Kodak\Kodak EasyShare software\bin\EasyShare.exe
O4 - Global Startup: KODAK Software Updater.lnk = C:\Program Files\Kodak\KODAK Software Updater\7288971\Program\Kodak Software Updater.exe
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_08\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_08\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {4528BBE0-4E08-11D5-AD55-00010333D0AD} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\yhexbmes0521.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Yahoo! Messenger - {4528BBE0-4E08-11D5-AD55-00010333D0AD} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\yhexbmes0521.dll
O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Shdocvw.dll
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {406B5949-7190-4245-91A9-30A17DE16AD0} (Snapfish Activia) - http://www.snapfish.com/SnapfishActivia.cab
O16 - DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} (MUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdat…b?1146343469875
O16 - DPF: {8A94C905-FF9D-43B6-8708-F0F22D22B1CB} (Wwlaunch Control) - http://www.worldwinner.com/games/shared/wwlaunch.cab
O16 - DPF: {917623D1-D8E5-11D2-BE8B-00104B06BDE3} (CamImage Class) - http://65.17.157.23/activex/AxisCamControl.cab
O16 - DPF: {9600F64D-755F-11D4-A47F-0001023E6D5A} (Shutterfly Picture Upload Plugin) - http://web1.shutterfly.com/downloads/Uploader.cab
O16 - DPF: {A90A5822-F108-45AD-8482-9BC8B12DD539} (Crucial cpcScan) - http://www.crucial.com/controls/cpcScanner.cab
O16 - DPF: {E856B973-45FD-4559-8F82-EAB539144667} (Dell PC Checkup Installer Control) - http://pccheckup.dellfix.com/rel/35/install/gtdownde.cab
O16 - DPF: {FAE74270-E5EE-49C3-B816-EA8B4D55F38F} (H2hPool Control) - http://www.worldwinner.com/games/v51/h2hpool/h2hpool.cab
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{0359B81C-AD26-497F-A6ED-7140926A0C2E}: NameServer = 68.94.156.1 68.94.157.1
O20 - Winlogon Notify: igfxcui - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\igfxdev.dll
O20 - Winlogon Notify: WgaLogon - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WgaLogon.dll
O23 - Service: CAISafe - Computer Associates International, Inc. - C:\Program Files\CA\eTrust Internet Security Suite\eTrust EZ Antivirus\ISafe.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: iPodService - Apple Computer, Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: Intel NCS NetService (NetSvc) - Intel® Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\PROSetWired\NCS\Sync\NetSvc.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
O23 - Service: Pml Driver HPZ12 - HP - C:\WINDOWS\system32\HPZipm12.exe
O23 - Service: VET Message Service (VETMSGNT) - Computer Associates International, Inc. - C:\Program Files\CA\eTrust Internet Security Suite\eTrust EZ Antivirus\VetMsg.exe
Hi Jenny

Though you may have had problems in completing everything on my last post, you have done very well so well done!

OK, let's move on…

I'd like you to clarify a few things for me and I'm going to suggest some fixes for you.

I have 3 windows desktops and 2 of the three don't have the windows toolbar

When you say three windows desktops, do you mean there are three user accounts on the PC?
When you say 'Windows toolbar', do you mean the toolbar at the bottom of the screen (the one with the Start button), or the Windows Explorer toolbar? Can you please let me know.
If the toolbar with the Start button has disappeared, make sure the taskbar has not just "slipped off" the bottom of the screen. Take your cursor down to the bottom edge of the screen, as far as you can, click and hold down the left mouse button and see if you can drag the edge of the taskbar up within view. Try this a few times as it can be quite tricky.

Forgive me if it takes a minute for me to reply to any of your posting

No problem what so ever :D

In step three I was suppossed to click the "processes" tab in the task manager but there wasn't any tabs when I opened task manager.

Try this to see if the tabs return.
Open Task Manager by holding down Ctrl and Alt keys then pressing the Delete key
Double-click anywhere in the left or right border of the Task Manager window.
Do the tabs return?

… when I do open any windows and try and close them they just disappear. They seem to be going off to the right of the screen, but I have no way of telling since I can see them.

OK, let's try this…
Open a window that disappears on the right of the screen. Can you still see some of the top of the window - the coloured bar with the window name? If so, double-click on the coloured part. This will size the window to fit the screen. Then close the window by clicking File > Close/Exit NOT the X in the top right corner. Now try opening the same window again. Does it now open with the whole window on the screen?

Status Check
Please try the above and let me know:
1) What you mean by three desktops
2) Exactly which 'windows toolbar' is missing
3) Whether you were able to drag the Start toolbar back into view
4) Whether the Task Manager tabs returned
5) Whether the window you tried now opens in the centre of the screen

Good Luck
Vino
Hey there, Ok let's see if I can get through this.. First when I say toolbar I mean the one at the bottom of the screen with the Start button on it. I have been unable to drag it back with the mouse. It just isn't there. I have had this problem for awhile and I was just restoring it and then I was Holdin Ctrl button pressing Esc button and then releasing. Then holding the Alt button I hit the space bar and then S and then released all. I would hold the up arrow until a gray line showed up in the corner and I could drag the toolbar out, but this doesn't work anymore. I hope it doesn't seem like I'm talking a bunch of gibberish. The I found ththe Ctrl Esc etc. step on the Microsoft updates site. It stopped working… Double clicking on the task managers border made the tabe appear. Third I don't see any colored tab when I close the window. When I minimize a window it is just gone. I have no way to get back to it. Finally what I mean by desktops is that me, my son, and my boyfriend all have different desktops (user accounts). The start toolbar is gone off my boyfriend's and my own but is still on my son't desktop. Thank you for being so patient with me. I hope I answered all your questions and I eagerly await your reply Jenny
Hi Jenny

You've clear up my questions. Thanks for that.

Good news that the Task Manager tabs have re-appeared. OK, let's try and get the Taskbar back.

Open Task Manager by holding down Ctrl and Alt keys then pressing the Delete key
Click on File > New Task (Run) > and type control > OK
Click on Appearance and Themes
Then click on Taskbar and Start Menu Properties at the bottom
The Taskbar and Start Menu Properties window will open at the bottom left of the screen
On the Taskbar tab…
Untick
- Lock the taskbar
- Auto-hide the taskbar
Tick
- Keep the taskbar on top of other windows
Click OK

Has the Taskbar returned?

If not, try as before and drag the taskbar up from the bottom of the screen as this may now work. Try moving the mouse cursor very slowly at the bottom of the screen to see if it changes shape. If you can't find the taskbar here, please try doing the same thing at the two sides of the screen, especially the right side, and lastly at the top. It maybe that the Taskbar has been dragged and hidden there by mistake.

If the above is successful, try doing the same for the other user account which has the Taskbar missing.

Please let me know whether your Taskbar has returned.

Good Luck
Vino
Hello Vinno, I want to thank you again for the help that you've been able to give, but I have some bad news.. I still have no toolbar. I tried to run the control > OK from the taskbar manager, but nothing happened. The cursor showed the little hourglass like a program was starting, but nothing came up. I just don't know what else to do. I still haven't been able to drag the toolbar back from the edges. I also tried to go to the control panel and open up Taskbars and Start Menu from there, but when I click on the icon nothing opens up. I know this is probably becoming a real pain for you but I would appreciate any further advice you may be able to offer, but I understand if you're at your wits end and ready to throw in the towel…I hope you can pull something out of your hat for me….LOL Talk to ya soon, Jenny
Hi Jenny :)

Sorry, I'm nowhere near ready to 'throw in the towel'. I'll stick with it if you do!

OK, here's my next try.

Go to Kelly's Korner Taskbar page >here< and click on the Taskbar Repair Tool Plus! link at the top of the page
On the next page, click on the Download Here link
Save the file to your Desktop
Extract the file TaskbarRepairToolPlus!.exe to your Desktop
Go to your Desktop and double-click on TaskbarRepairToolPlus!.exe
OK the registration information window
Under Taskbar Problems, select Taskbar is missing from the dropdown
Click the Repair button

If the above is successful, try doing the same for the other user account which has the Taskbar missing.

Please let me know whether your Taskbar has returned.

Good Luck
Vino
Hey there Vinno, You are my hero….The taskbar is back!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so thankful that you could help me out…Not having a taskbar was starting to drive me nuts. I just hope it sticks…LOL Thanks again for your help, hopefully things will go well and I won't have to bug you anymore… Thanks again, Jenny
Hi Jenny

That's great news that your taskbar is back. I suggest you now lock it in place by doing the following for ALL accounts:

Right-click on Start > Properties
In the Taskbar and Start Menu Properties window, click on the Taskbar tab
Tick:
- Lock the taskbar
- Keep the taskbar on top of other windows
Untick:
- Auto-hide the taskbar
Click OK

Are you having any other problems with your PC? If so, can you please let me know what they are and post a new HijackThis log.

Otherwise, if you are happy that your PC is running OK, please take note of the following:

Hide your System Files
These files are hidden to avoid accidental deletion so please follow these steps:

Click Start
Open My Computer
Select Tools > Folder Options > Select the View Tab
Uncheck Show hidden files and folders in the Hidden files and folders section
Select Hide protected operating system files (recommended) option
Click OK, OK

Reset your system restore points
This will remove any infected files that may have been backed up by Windows. A tutorial is available >here<.
Please note that you need Administrator privileges to do the following:

Turn off System Restore
Start > right-click My Computer and select Properties
Click the System Restore tab
Tick Turn off System Restore
Click Apply, and then click OK.

Restart your computer

Turn ON System Restore
Start > Right-click on My Computer and select Properties
Click on the System Restore tab
Click on C: drive then Settings
Untick Turn off System Restore on this drive
OK, OK

Make Internet Explorer more secure
From within Internet Explorer click on the Tools menu and then click on Options.
Click once on the Security tab
Click once on the Internet icon so it becomes highlighted.
Click once on the Custom Level button.
Change the Download signed ActiveX controls to Prompt
Change the Download unsigned ActiveX controls to Disable
Change the Initialise and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe to Disable
Change the Installation of desktop items to Prompt
Change the Launching programs and files in an IFRAME to Prompt
Change the Navigate sub-frames across different domains to Prompt
When all these settings have been made, click on the OK button.
If it prompts you as to whether or not you want to save the settings, press the Yes button.
Next press the Apply button and then the OK to exit the Internet Properties page.

Note: If you are using IE, you may want to consider changing Mozilla FireFox which offers not only better security but it also has more features than IE however remember that you still need to use IE for certain sites like Microsoft Updates.

Windows Updates
Ensure you are registered for Windows updates via Start > right-click on My Computer > Properties > Automatic Updates tab or visit the Microsoft Update site on a regular basis.

Anti-Virus
It is important that your computer has anti-virus software installed and it is updated at least on a weekly basis. Further information and programs can be found >here<

Firewall
Using a Firewall in its default configuration greatly reduces the risk of your computer being hacked. Further information and programs can be found >here<

Hosts File
For added protection you may also like to add a host file, for more information regarding host files read >here<

Anti-Malware Programs (all free)
Next, if they're not already present, I would recommend the download and installation of some or all of the following programs, and the updating of them on a regular basis:
  • Ad-Aware SE - This is a program that scans for and removes known spyware from your machine. >Tutorial<
  • Spybot Search & Destroy - Spybot is a tool like Ad-Aware SE whereas it seeks out and removes known spyware from your machine. >Tutorial<
    These two tools (Ad-Aware & Spybot) are perfect complements to each other as one will most always find something the other missed.
  • Spyware Blaster - By altering your registry, this program stops harmful sites from installing things like ActiveX Controls on your machine.
  • IE_Spyad - Works by placing known "bad" sites into your Internet Explorer "Restricted Zones" prohibiting them from doing potentially problematic things to your computer.
Safe Computing
Vino
Glad we could be of assistance. This topic is now closed. If you wish it reopened, please send us an email (Click for address) with a link to your thread.

Do not bother contacting us if you are not the topic starter. A valid, working link to the closed topic is required along with the user name used. If the user name does not match the one in the thread linked, the email will be deleted.
Make sure you use proper prevention to keep from having problems occur to your computer in the future.

Coyote's Installed programs for prevention:

http://forums.tomcoyote.org/index.php?showtopic=31418

The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online.

Visit the CoyoteStore http://TomCoyote.org/coyotestore.php

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI