This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

Trojan Recurring Problem, Hijack This Log

5 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Can someone please help me? I have run hijack this and the things I delete keep coming back. I have been deleting them in Safe Mode and in normal operating mode. A computer professional instructed me on what to remove twice already but it did not create a lasting solution, I have various Trojans that are still getting detected by McAfee.


Any help will be appreciated. . . here it is. . .

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 6:45:04 PM, on 9/20/2006
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MsMpEng.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\Core\smax4pnp.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcagent.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\SPAMKI~1\MSKAgent.exe
C:\Program Files\McAfee.com\VSO\oasclnt.exe
C:\Program Files\McAfee.com\VSO\mcvsshld.exe
C:\Program Files\HP\hpcoretech\hpcmpmgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxpers.exe
C:\Program Files\McAfee.com\Personal Firewall\MPFTray.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_03\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\Intel\Modem Event Monitor\IntelMEM.exe
c:\progra~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsescn.exe
C:\Program Files\Musicmatch\Musicmatch Jukebox\mm_tray.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\VERIZO~1\SMARTB~1\MotiveSB.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd.exe
C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\msnmsgr.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Lavasoft\AD-AWA~1\Ad-Watch.exe
C:\Program Files\Dell Support\DSAgnt.exe
C:\Program Files\palmOne\Hotsync.exe
C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe
C:\Program Files\Verizon Online\bin\mpbtn.exe
c:\program files\mcafee.com\agent\mcdetect.exe
c:\progra~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsftsn.exe
c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcshield.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mctskshd.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\PERSON~1\MpfService.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\HPZipm12.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\PERSON~1\MpfAgent.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~4\OFFICE11\OUTLOOK.EXE
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\WINWORD.EXE
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Jen DiGiovanni\Desktop\hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.ebay.com/
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.ebay.com
O2 - BHO: McBrwHelper Class - {227B8AA8-DAF2-4892-BD1D-73F568BCB24E} - c:\program files\mcafee.com\mps\mcbrhlpr.dll
O2 - BHO: McAfee Privacy Service Popup Blocker - {3EC8255F-E043-4cae-8B3B-B191550C2A22} - c:\program files\mcafee.com\mps\popupkiller.dll
O2 - BHO: McAfee AntiPhishing Filter - {41D68ED8-4CFF-4115-88A6-6EBB8AF19000} - c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee\SPAMKI~1\mcapfbho.dll
O2 - BHO: DriveLetterAccess - {5CA3D70E-1895-11CF-8E15-001234567890} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswshx.dll
O3 - Toolbar: McAfee VirusScan - {BA52B914-B692-46c4-B683-905236F6F655} - c:\progra~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsshl.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SoundMAXPnP] C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\Core\smax4pnp.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VSOCheckTask] "C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\VSO\mcmnhdlr.exe" /checktask
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCAgentExe] c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcagent.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCUpdateExe] c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcupdate.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MSKAgentExe] C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\SPAMKI~1\MSKAgent.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MSKDetectorExe] C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\SPAMKI~1\MSKDetct.exe /startup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [OASClnt] C:\Program Files\McAfee.com\VSO\oasclnt.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VirusScan Online] C:\Program Files\McAfee.com\VSO\mcvsshld.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Component Manager] "C:\Program Files\HP\hpcoretech\hpcmpmgr.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [igfxtray] C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [igfxhkcmd] C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [igfxpers] C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxpers.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KernelFaultCheck] %systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0 -k
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MPFEXE] "C:\Program Files\McAfee.com\Personal Firewall\MPFTray.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [gcasServ] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_03\bin\jusched.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IntelMeM] C:\Program Files\Intel\Modem Event Monitor\IntelMEM.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UpdateManager] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sonic\Update Manager\sgtray.exe" /r
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MMTray] C:\Program Files\Musicmatch\Musicmatch Jukebox\mm_tray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [dla] C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Motive SmartBridge] C:\PROGRA~1\VERIZO~1\SMARTB~1\MotiveSB.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Software Update] "C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSKAGENTEXE] C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\SPAMKI~1\MSKAgent.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [msnmsgr] "C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\msnmsgr.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [AWMON] "C:\PROGRA~1\Lavasoft\AD-AWA~1\Ad-Watch.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [PhotoShow Deluxe Media Manager] C:\PROGRA~1\Snapfish\SNAPFI~1\data\Xtras\mssysmgr.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [DellSupport] "C:\Program Files\Dell Support\DSAgnt.exe" /startup
O4 - Global Startup: HotSync Manager.lnk = C:\Program Files\palmOne\Hotsync.exe
O4 - Global Startup: HP Digital Imaging Monitor.lnk = C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Verizon Online Support Center.lnk = C:\Program Files\Verizon Online\bin\matcli.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~4\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll (file missing)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll (file missing)
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {39FD89BF-D3F1-45b6-BB56-3582CCF489E1} - c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee\SPAMKI~1\mcapfbho.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: McAfee AntiPhishing Filter - {39FD89BF-D3F1-45b6-BB56-3582CCF489E1} - c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee\SPAMKI~1\mcapfbho.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~4\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Shdocvw.dll
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=36467&clcid=0x409
O16 - DPF: {4ED9DDF0-7479-4BBE-9335-5A1EDB1D8A21} (McAfee.com Operating System Class) - http://download.mcafee.com/molbin/shared/m…90/mcinsctl.cab
O16 - DPF: {BCC0FF27-31D9-4614-A68E-C18E1ADA4389} (DwnldGroupMgr Class) - http://download.mcafee.com/molbin/shared/m…,23/mcgdmgr.cab
O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - https://fpdownload.macromedia.com/pub/shock…ash/swflash.cab
O16 - DPF: {EF791A6B-FC12-4C68-99EF-FB9E207A39E6} (McFreeScan Class) - http://download.mcafee.com/molbin/iss-loc/…729/mcfscan.cab
O20 - Winlogon Notify: igfxcui - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\igfxdev.dll
O20 - Winlogon Notify: WgaLogon - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WgaLogon.dll
O23 - Service: McAfee WSC Integration (McDetect.exe) - McAfee, Inc - c:\program files\mcafee.com\agent\mcdetect.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee.com McShield (McShield) - McAfee Inc. - c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcshield.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Task Scheduler (McTskshd.exe) - McAfee, Inc - c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mctskshd.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee SecurityCenter Update Manager (mcupdmgr.exe) - McAfee, Inc - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\Agent\mcupdmgr.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Personal Firewall Service (MpfService) - McAfee Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\PERSON~1\MpfService.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee SpamKiller Server (MskService) - McAfee Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\SPAMKI~1\MSKSrvr.exe
O23 - Service: Intel NCS NetService (NetSvc) - Intel® Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\PROSetWired\NCS\Sync\NetSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Pml Driver HPZ12 - HP - C:\WINDOWS\system32\HPZipm12.exe
hi RachelGreen,

dont see much in the log as far as trojans go. i would start by downloading, updating and running ewido. after the scan please save the report it can make and post that in your next reply. you can edit out the cookies if there is alot of them. 30 day trial version

http://www.ewido.net/en/

shelf life
Thank you so much for your help. I used the software you recommended and deleted the last two entries in red. The solution only seemed to be a temporary fix. Files I keep deleting via HiJack this keep reappearing and other stuff on my computer won't let me delete it no matter what I try. I want to get rid of the MusicJukebox thing but I keep gettting strange error messages when I try to delete it. Do you think I have something evil hiding in there? Thanks again. I did two scans with the software you recommended. After the first, I deleted all. My computer ran ok for a couple of hours. FIRST SCAN RESULTS: Mostly cookies, as per your request I did not include them. Two suspicious non-cookie entries were found. Name: Hijacker.Small.js Path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\cpdvcbgb.zdq Risk: High Name: Downloader.Small.dam Path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\mnuhzqlu.exe SECOND SCAN: Only cookies found. Name: TrackingCookie.Yieldmanager Path: C:\Documents and Settings\Jen DiGiovanni\Cookies\jen [removed][1].txt Risk: Medium Name: TrackingCookie.Admarketplace Path: C:\Documents and Settings\Jen DiGiovanni\Cookies\jen digiovanni@admarketplace[2].txt Risk: Medium Name: TrackingCookie.Specificclick Path: C:\Documents and Settings\Jen DiGiovanni\Cookies\jen [removed][1].txt Risk: Medium Name: TrackingCookie.2o7 Path: C:\Documents and Settings\Jen DiGiovanni\Cookies\jen digiovanni@cbs.112.2o7[1].txt Risk: Medium Name: TrackingCookie.Esomniture Path: C:\Documents and Settings\Jen DiGiovanni\Cookies\jen [removed][1].txt Risk: Medium Name: TrackingCookie.2o7 Path: C:\Documents and Settings\Jen DiGiovanni\Cookies\jen digiovanni@marthastewart.122.2o7[1].txt Risk: Medium Name: TrackingCookie.2o7 Path: C:\Documents and Settings\Jen DiGiovanni\Cookies\jen digiovanni@paypal.112.2o7[1].txt Risk: Medium Name: TrackingCookie.Tacoda Path: C:\Documents and Settings\Jen DiGiovanni\Cookies\jen digiovanni@tacoda[1].txt Risk: Medium Computer is still posessed, please advise. Thanks.
hi RachelGreen,

the first ewido? scan shows two trojans, but the next only cookies. it looks like ewido removed these two, correct?
————————————————————-
you are removing jukebox via the add/remove programs panel?

Files I keep deleting via HiJack this keep reappearing

i dont see anything "bad"that needs removing in the hjt log.


shelf life
Hi, Thanks for all the help, I appreciate it. The ewok or edwido thing you had me run did show those two suspicious entries which were cleared but I think my computer monster may have changed shape. When I try to delete Jukebox with the Add/Delete program thing in the control pannel, it WILL NOT let me access a few things (like JukeBox, SunJava. . .) to delete them. I noticed when I was running Software Explorer, when I would try to delete a suspicious thing that my former computer professional advised me of, the program would instantly replicate like a Gremlin. Anyway, I can send you the list that she advised I remove from my hijack this log. Those suspicious entries (only a handful of 04's keep reappearing) will not leave me or the computer alone. It does not matter how many times I try to remove them via HiJack this, if I reboot, they come back to haunt me. In order to successfully go online, I have to run hijack this first, remove all those funny 04 entries, and then it runs very fast. If my computer gets shut off, they all come back. Some of the problems are the 04 TkBell thing. . . the 04 Sunjava thing. . the 04 DS Agent thing. . Let me know if you want me to send you the list of ones I keep trying to excercise from my hd. Thanks a lot for your help. I appreciate it.
Thanks again. . . The follow are entries which keep reapperaring in hijack this after I delete them. These are the suspicious entries the computer tech told me to erase in Safe Mode. Nothing works. O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IntelMeM] C:\Program Files\Intel\Modem Event Monitor\IntelMEM.exe O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UpdateManager] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sonic\Update Manager\sgtray.exe" /r O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MMTray] C:\Program Files\Musicmatch\Musicmatch Jukebox\mm_tray.exe O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [dla] C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Motive SmartBridge] C:\PROGRA~1\VERIZO~1\SMARTB~1\MotiveSB.exe O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Software Update] "C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd.exe" O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [DellSupport] "C:\Program Files\Dell Support\DSAgnt.exe" /startup O4 - Global Startup: QuickBooks Update Agent.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intuit\QuickBooks\QBUpdate\qbupdate.exe My Adaware (LavaSoft) keeps detecting a Critical Object t(MegaSearch Toolbar) that I can't seem to remove via their software. Perhaps this is related. I have no idea. I would also like to delete the following programs because it seems as if one of them may be corrupted and harboring the Trjoan. Any thoughts on that or am I totall out of the ball park on this one? Sonic Musicmatch Jukebox Snapfish (My computer got worse following Snapfish) Thanks again.
hi RachelGreen, all those 04 items someone told you to remove are harmless. thats all software that starts with windows. removing the 04 entry will prevent them from starting up when windows does, thats all it will do. they are harmless really. its all common software. why didnt they delete with hjt? might be because real time protection like used with windows defender (or ewido guard) wont allow hjt to make the changes if the real time protection is running. alot of software has the options not to start with windows or update automatically. if you have alot of icons by the clock click on them to open the software and look for options or preferences and settings not to start with windows. or if you dont use them, uninstall them via the add/remove programs list. like these: Sonic Real player QuickTime i really think you are trojan free now. the uninstall problems arent related. look for sonic and snapfish in the add/remove programs panel to uninstall. is this:MegaSearch Toolbar listed in the add/remove programs panel? hjt has some uninstall options, but iam in linux now and cant check, i will get back to you. for now remove sonic and snapfish via the add/remove programs panel if you want. i know you already tried jukebox, we will come back to that. shelf life
Glad we could be of assistance. This topic is now closed. If you wish it reopened, please send us an email (Click for address) with a link to your thread.

Do not bother contacting us if you are not the topic starter. A valid, working link to the closed topic is required along with the user name used. If the user name does not match the one in the thread linked, the email will be deleted.
Make sure you use proper prevention to keep from having problems occur to your computer in the future.

Coyote's Installed programs for prevention:

http://forums.tomcoyote.org/index.php?showtopic=31418

The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online.

Visit the CoyoteStore http://TomCoyote.org/coyotestore.php

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI