This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

Person helping me disappeared

35 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I am using Spybot. To scan and immunize. I'm getting IE Spyad right now. So there isn't some paid program that for spyware or viruses that blows these free ones away with it's awe-inspiring power? :D

So there isn't some paid program that for spyware or viruses that blows these free ones away with it's awe-inspiring power?

Not that I know of.

Now that your PC is clean, lets also do this:

You need to create a new Clean restore point.

Note: This will remove all previous Restore Points

Turn off System Restore:

On the Desktop, right-click My Computer.
Click Properties.
Click the System Restore tab.
Check Turn off System Restore.
Click Apply, and then click OK.

Restart your computer, turn it back on.

On the Desktop, right-click My Computer.
Click Properties.
Click the System Restore tab.
Remove the Check Turn off System Restore.
Click Apply, and then click OK.

Double-click My Computer.
Click the Tools menu, and then click Folder Options.
Click the View tab.
Check "Hide file extensions for known file types."
Under the "Hidden files" folder, Uncheck "Show hidden files and folders."
Check "Hide protected operating system files."
Click Apply, and then click OK.


I would also suggest you read this:
So how did I get infected in the first place?
by Tony Klein

Restart your computer, turn it back on.

On the Desktop, right-click My Computer.
Click Properties.
Click the System Restore tab.
Remove the Check Turn off System Restore.
Click Apply, and then click OK.

Ok, done. Next?
Create a new restore point? Or has that been done automatically by turning it on again?

When you turned it off, then rebooted to turn it back on, did it ask you to create a new restore point?
Ok, created a restore point called:

Clean system - 01/10/06

What was all this business?:

Check "Hide file extensions for known file types."
Under the "Hidden files" folder, Uncheck "Show hidden files and folders."
Check "Hide protected operating system files."
Click Apply, and then click OK.


Don't I WANT to see file extensions and hidden files?

Don't I WANT to see file extensions and hidden files?

Those are hidden system files. If they're hidden, they won't get deleted. Are you the only user?
Yeah, there's nothing to worry about there (with other users, I mean). I like having full control of my system. Anyway, I left them on.
Sweet! So, I guess things are always gone pop up, huh? Even with all this protection? The only thing you cando is keep scanning and trying to stay on top of it? Cause no matter what I do, things just seem to come back. I've read that tutorial about keeping clean many times.
Glad we could be of assistance. This topic is now closed. If you wish it reopened, please send us an email (Click for address) with a link to your thread.

Do not bother contacting us if you are not the topic starter. A valid, working link to the closed topic is required along with the user name used. If the user name does not match the one in the thread linked, the email will be deleted.
Make sure you use proper prevention to keep from having problems occur to your computer in the future.

Coyote's Installed programs for prevention:

http://forums.tomcoyote.org/index.php?showtopic=31418

The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online.

Visit the CoyoteStore http://TomCoyote.org/coyotestore.php

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI