I had had IE 7.0 installed. A couple of days later, I lost access to some sites, including cnn.com, earthlink.net (I am an Earthlink subscriber, so I can't get email anymore), ebay.com, and microsoft.com. I removed IE 7.0, but IE 6.0 can not reach these sites either. Nor can Mozilla FireFox or Microsoft Outlook. I can ping and telnet these sites but can't access them by any browser. I have been advised to come here and display my HiJack log. I hope that someone with a better hijack knowledge than me (not a big feat) can point out whether there are any bugs in it or, if not, how I can fix my problem.
Thanks
Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 6:15:26 PM, on 3/23/2007
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)
I ran it in safe mode now and it is no different, except there are fewer running processes…
Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 10:26:04 PM, on 3/23/2007
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)
Here's my log after downloading, installing AVG anti-virus and scanning with it. It found nothing.
Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 4:26:29 PM, on 3/24/2007
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)
Run hijackthis. Hit None of the above, Click Do a System Scan Only. Put a Check in the box on the left side on these:
F2 - REG:system.ini: UserInit=C:\WINDOWS\system32\Userinit.exe
Close ALL windows and browsers except HijackThis and click "Fix checked"
Next:
Click Start> Run> type in CMD tap enter key
Copy/Paste or type in: ipconfig /flushdns
If you are typing this in, note the space between the g /f
It needs to be there.
Now lets check some settings on your system.
Enter your Control Panel and double-click on Network Connections
Then right click on your Default Connection
Usually Local Area Connection for Cable and DSL
Left click on Properties
Double-Click on the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) item
Select the radio dial that says Obtain DNS Servers Automatically
Note: Do this for all Network Connections
Press OK twice to get out of the properties screen and reboot if it asks
Reboot and "copy/paste" a new HijackThis log file into this thread.
Also please describe how your computer behaves at the moment.
Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 6:03:32 PM, on 3/24/2007
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)
All these sites are already in the trusted sites list. In any case, FireFox is also not connecting to these sites, and Outlook is not connecting to Earthlink POP server.
The server is extremely busy at the moment, please wait
http://www.kaspersky.com/scanforvirus.html
You're clean!
Kaspersky Anti-Virus has not detected any viruses at this time in the file you submitted.
http://www.virustotal.com/en/indexf.html
STATUS: FINISHEDComplete scanning result of "smss.exe", received in VirusTotal at 03.25.2007, 04:33:35 (CET).
Antivirus Version Update Result
AhnLab-V3 2007.3.24.1 03.24.2007 no virus found
AntiVir 7.3.1.44 03.23.2007 no virus found
Authentium 4.93.8 03.24.2007 no virus found
Avast 4.7.936.0 03.23.2007 no virus found
AVG 7.5.0.447 03.24.2007 no virus found
BitDefender 7.2 03.25.2007 no virus found
CAT-QuickHeal 9.00 03.23.2007 no virus found
ClamAV devel-20070312 03.24.2007 no virus found
DrWeb 4.33 03.24.2007 no virus found
eSafe 7.0.14.0 03.22.2007 no virus found
eTrust-Vet 30.6.3506 03.23.2007 no virus found
Ewido 4.0 03.24.2007 no virus found
FileAdvisor 1 03.25.2007 No threat detected
Fortinet 2.85.0.0 03.24.2007 no virus found
F-Prot 4.3.1.45 03.23.2007 no virus found
F-Secure 6.70.13030.0 03.24.2007 no virus found
Ikarus T3.1.1.3 03.24.2007 no virus found
Kaspersky 4.0.2.24 03.25.2007 no virus found
McAfee 4991 03.23.2007 no virus found
Microsoft 1.2306 03.25.2007 no virus found
NOD32v2 2143 03.25.2007 no virus found
Norman 5.80.02 03.23.2007 no virus found
Panda 9.0.0.4 03.24.2007 no virus found
Prevx1 V2 03.25.2007 no virus found
Sophos 4.15.0 03.23.2007 no virus found
Sunbelt 2.2.907.0 03.24.2007 no virus found
Symantec 10 03.25.2007 no virus found
TheHacker 6.1.6.080 03.23.2007 no virus found
UNA 1.83 03.16.2007 no virus found
VBA32 3.11.2 03.24.2007 no virus found
VirusBuster 4.3.7:9 03.24.2007 no virus found
Webwasher-Gateway 6.0.1 03.25.2007 no virus found
Do you have router / external modem that you're using?
If so, remove the Power from them and wait about 5 mins. Replace the Power and see if that worked.
Have you checked with your ISP?
Other then that. I'm out of ideas tonite.
I do have a LinkSys VOIP router sitting on my ADSL line.
I have had 5 hours of ISP support this week. They told me to talk to MicroSoft. That did not exactly work out either…
I will try to power off my ADSL modem and turn it back on, I'll let you know
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI