This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Dumb question

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I have dialup. How can I tell if it’s my ISP’s server that is causing slow page connections etc., or is it my computer or the phone line/web traffic?. Sometimes my bytes received moves at a crawl or does not move, this happens periodically but is becoming very tiresome and maybe it’s time to change my ISP. I assume it’s their server causing problems when I try to connect and it dials up and goes as far as ‘connecting to a remote computer’ “verifying password etc.”…then it fails to connect. Sometimes I have to dial up 4/5 times and keep getting that until it finally connects. That’s the ISP server failing to let me connect right? Also the new ISP I am thinking about signing up with offers web accelerator for 4$ a month more, does that really provide any extra speed or is it a way for them to make an extra 4$ Thanks
I don't know if that's because of your ISP. I just think that dial-up is no longer worth it today. You can run up huge bills unless you pay a set amount, whereas broadband can work out cheaper and is much faster. Maybe it's time to upgrade? good luck with what you decide to do :)
Your first line of investigation and repair, would be a telephone call directly to your ISP. They will walk you through all of the settings to assure they are correct. They can "see" if/when you are connected to their server-modem(s) and perhaps perform other testing. If that is supposedly "all good.", you might benefit from contacting your Phone Company to determine is the line is clear/faulty. If it's the line between your house and the phone company request a new connection at the neighborhood switching control box. Best Regards

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI