Enable windows to show all files and folders, instructions HERE
Then
* Go to Start> Shut Off your Computer> Restart
* As the computer starts to boot-up, Tap the F8 KEY somewhat rapidly,
this will bring up a menu.
* Use the Up and Down Arrow Keys to scroll up to SAFEMODE
* Then press the Enter on your Keyboard
Look for and delete these if there sitll present.
C:\WINNT\alchem.ini
C:\WINNT\inf\alchem.inf
Reboot normally.
There is a possibility that one of the entries that Ewido picked up is linked to a Rootkit, I am researching it now. A Rootkit is a malicious program that loads before the operating system and goes undected.
Please download Rootkit Revealer (link is at the very bottom of the page)
Unzip it to your desktop.
Open the RootkitRevealer folder and double-click RootkitRevealer.exe
Click the Scan button (bottom right)
It may take a while to scan (don't do anything while it's running)
When it's done, go to File > Save. Choose to save the log to your desktop.
Open rootkitrevealer.txt on your desktop and copy the entire contents and paste them in your next reply
Please don't surf or do anything else during the scan with RootkitRevealer, or it may interfere with the results and show legitimate entries.
Rootkit revealer log.
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Cryptography\RNG\Seed 24/08/2006 10:54 AM 80 bytes Data mismatch between Windows API and raw hive data.
I'm in Australia.
Mario
Run the tool, its brand new. Download the users manual, it has a tutorial on how to run this tool. Its important that you not touch your mouse or keyboard or do anything while the tool is running as it will interfere with the scan and give us false positives. Also turn off your screensaver.
Make sure that if it picks up any entries or files to remove to only remove the ones it recommends and no others.
After your done, reboot and let me know how your system is behaving now.
Ken I have run the rootkit and it has detected no errors.
I have been back to youtube.com which is where the problem occurs the most and unfortunately my IE still keeps popping up with a message saying "it has encountered an unknown error…."
Fortunately this is not a site I need to go to or it could be much worse.
Regards
Mario
Scroll down and look for this one, download and install it. Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1 on Microsoft Windows 2000 Service Pack 4 or on Microsoft Windows XP
Service Pack 1 — Download the update
You are a very good man Ken. Thank you very much.
I was telling my wife a couple of days ago that all the drama seemed to have started after I did a windows update.
Hopefully this will sort it out.
In the meantime I will track down a windows 2000 cd and do the scan as suggested earlier on by yourself.
Many thanks
Mario
Your welcome Mario, I will keep this thread open for you for a week or so to see how your doing, if the patch did not help, post back and we can dig deeper.
Ken
This link…………..http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923762/en-us…….is exactly what is happening to me.
I downloaded the 'hotfix' from here…………..http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/…n/ms06-042.mspx
……………and downloaded and installed it.
I restarted the computer and unfortunately it is still happening.
It is extremely frustrating to have that happen after the article exactly describes the problem I am getting and then the suggested fix doesn't seem to work.
I'm at a loss and I'm sorry to keep bothering you. You must be tired of this thread by now.
If it is just an explorer problem though I will download 'firefox' and be done with it.
Mario
Mario,
All I use is Firefox, have so for the past two years, I only use IE when I absolutly have to, and thats not to often. Maybe when you get ahold of that disk it may repair a bad file.
Ken
I have followed the instructions from that page and it seems to have helped. Am I fixing one problem but causing another by unchecking the HTTP 1.1 box as described?
WORKAROUND
To work around this problem, follow these steps:
1. Start Internet Explorer 6.
2. On the Tools menu, click Internet Options, and then click the Advanced tab.
3. In the Settings box, click to clear the Use HTTP 1.1 check box under HTTP 1.1 settings, and then click OK.
Mario,
One of the other helpers on this forum had the same problem and he did the work around and it fixed it for him, give it a try. This is new to me, you are the first poster that I have come accross with this , so please forgive me if I wasn't on top of it.
Whenever you make a change like that, always reboot and see if the problem is still present.
Ken
The helper with the same problem just emailed me and told me that the work around helped some but not entirely, we may have to wait for Microsoft to fix this problem. You can try uninstalling the update that caused it, it may be listed in your Add-Remove Programs as Critical Update 918899 The downside is that it will leave your system less secure. This is like being between a rock and a hard place. Myself, I think I would leave it be and use Firefox , keep doing the windows update thing and hopefully the fix wont be to far off.
Ok I agree, best to wait and see what happens with the next microsoft update.
Time for a coffee for you, time for bed for me here. (It's midnight.)
I very much appreciate all your help.
Many thanks.
Mario