This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

microsoft internet explorer has encountered a problem etc...

13 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello,

I'm a bit of a rank amateur at this but here goes.

I am running Spybot, Ad aware and AVG. All of the programs are up to date as of 24 hours ago.

I am running windows 2000.

My problem is that my Internet Explorer browser keeps posting a the following warning " microsoft internet explorer has encountered a problem etc…" and then it says it will shut down. It doesn't happen every single time but it is happening about half the time. For example I have been to this forum about 4 times already and I have to keep restarting explorer. It seems to happen particularly a lot when I right click and select "open link in a new window".

I hope this helps.

Many thanks in advance. Please find my hijack this log under.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 10:05:46 PM, on 16/08/2006
Platform: Windows 2000 SP4 (WinNT 5.00.2195)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINNT\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\services.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\regsvc.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\MSTask.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\stisvc.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\WBEM\WinMgmt.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\msdtc.exe
C:\WINNT\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINNT\system32\carpserv.exe
C:\Program Files\HP\hpcoretech\hpcmpmgr.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Distillr\AcroTray.exe
C:\Program Files\Outlook Express\msimn.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\rundll32.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\notepad.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE
C:\Program Files\ZipCentral\ZCentral.exe
C:\Program Files\Hijack this\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.smh.com.au/
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.ocx
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar2.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINNT\system32\msdxm.ocx
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar2.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Synchronization Manager] mobsync.exe /logon
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CARPService] carpserv.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroCheck] C:\WINNT\system32\\NeroCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Component Manager] "C:\Program Files\HP\hpcoretech\hpcmpmgr.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_EMC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Software Update] C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\jusched.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Acrobat Assistant.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Distillr\AcroTray.exe
O4 - Global Startup: AutoCAD Startup Accelerator.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Autodesk Shared\acstart16.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Google Search - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmsearch.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Translate English Word - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmwordtrans.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Backward Links - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmbacklinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Cached Snapshot of Page - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmcache.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Similar Pages - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmsimilar.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Translate Page into English - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmtrans.html
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O16 - DPF: {156BF4B7-AE3A-4365-BD88-95A75AF8F09D} (HPSDDX Class) - http://www.hp.com/cpso-support-new/SDD/hpsddObjSigned.cab
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/…b?1132745285558
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{CC5E62D0-D8B0-447E-B114-9AC3B0F97400}: NameServer = 202.52.32.2,202.52.32.6
O23 - Service: Autodesk Licensing Service - Autodesk, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Autodesk Shared\Service\AdskScSrv.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Logical Disk Manager Administrative Service (dmadmin) - VERITAS Software Corp. - C:\WINNT\System32\dmadmin.exe
O23 - Service: Pml Driver HPZ12 - HP - C:\WINNT\system32\HPZipm12.exe
Muzza :D


Welcome, sorry for the delay. You have a clean log, no malware that I can see.


Lets do a little upgrading and cleanup.


Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune.
Download - ATF Cleaner»
This program is for XP and Windows 2000 only
Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
Under Main - choose: Select All
Click the Empty Selected button.



Open IE and go to Tools> Internet Options and click on Delete Cookies and Delete files and on Offline Content as well.



* Click Start>Run
* Type in sfc /scannow, hit Enter.
* Note: there is a space between sfc and /scannow
* This should replace any corrupted/missing system files and will hopefully fix things. You may need your XP disc in your CD drive for this.



  • Your Java is out of date and leaving your system vulnerable.
  • Go to your Add-Remove Programs in the Control Panel and uninstall any previous (jre) installations.
  • Reboot your system.
  • Then go to the Sun Java website and download and install the update.
  • Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 5.0 Update 8 <–This is what you need to download and install.
  • Then after install you can verify your installation here Sun Java Verify


Let know if this made a difference.
Ken545, Firstly thank you very much for your time. I very much appreciate it. I have downloaded the ATF cleaner and I have run it. I have also uninstalled my old Java and installed the new java JRE 5 update 8.0. Unfortunately I cannot run the sfc /scannow command as I do not have the install CD. I bought my machine 2nd hand through a private sale with the windows 2000 pre-intstalled. I don't suppose there is a work around for this part of your instructions? I have gotten onto explorer again and the message is recurring however not with the same frequency. It seems to be particularly bad at the site I had as my home page. That site is www.smh.com.au. It's a very popular newspaper website in Australia. I have noticed that an error log is being created on the IE popup informing me of the error. Would that help you at all? OK, once again, thanks.
Muzza,

Sorry, you need the windows disk for that fix, do you know anyone with win 2000 that has a disk you can borrow.


If you can copy and paste the error message it may be helpful.

Try changing your homepage by going into a different site of your choice m maybe MSN.com as an example and then going to Tools> Internet Options and click on Use Current

Try using a different browser , I have been using Firefox for about 3 years and only use IE when I absolutly have to . You can use them both, no need to uninstall IE.

* Firefox Browser

It has more features and is a lot more secure than IE. It is a very easy and painless download and install, it will no way interfere with IE, you can use them both. When it asks you if you want it to be your default browser, say NO and take the checkmark out of the box to ask you again. After you use this for awhile, you will want to make it your default.



Ken :D
Thanks again Ken, I am tracking down a windows 2000 CD from a friend and I should have it early next week so I will be able to do the scan as instructed then. In the meantime this is the message I'm getting after the pop-up comes up to tell me the IE must close down. ————————><——————- AppName: iexplore.exe AppVer 6.0.2800.1106 ModName: ntdll.dll ModVer 5.0.2195.7006 Offset: 0004d79a ————————><——————- You can click on "show details" and the rest of the data comes up but you can not cut and paste it so I have not shown it here. Previous to your suggestion I did actually change home pages which minimised the problem to an extent however the problem still occurs intermittently when visiting other sites and if I do visit the original home page then it happens quite a lot. Anyway, I will get the CD, do the scan and speak to you then. Many thanks again. Regards Mario
Ok checked that and the file is present under C/winnt/system32/ntdll.dll Whilst I was replying to this explorer shut down again. The error message this time was AppName: iexplore.exe AppVer: 6.0.2800.1106 ModName: wininet.dll ModVer: 6.0.2800.1599 Offset: 0002a58b Driving me bananas. Once I put the CD in next week I will take you up on getting firefox or opera as a browser. I am keen to sort this out though in case there is a hidden glitch that may manifest itself in some larger problem later on. It's a worry because this is my work computer. Cheers
Sorry one other thing, if I go to youtube.com it happens nearly every single time. It is almost impossible for me to watch anything there. Maybe 1 in 8 times I get to see a clip. Regards
Lets do this and see if it finds anything that may be hidden on your system.

Download and install the 30 day trial of Ewido Anti-Spyware from HERE and save that file to your desktop.

* Once you have downloaded Ewido Anti-Spyware, locate the icon on the desktop and double-click it to launch the set up program.
* Once the setup is complete you will need run Ewido and update the definition files.
* On the main screen select the icon Update then select the Update now link.
* Next select the Start Update button, the update will start and a progress bar will show the updates being installed.
* Once the update has completed select the Scanner icon at the top of the screen, then select the Settings tab.
* Once in the Settings screen click on Recommended actions and then select Quarantine
* Under Reports
* Select Automatically generate report after every scan
* Un-Select Only if threats were found
* Close Ewido Anti-Spyware <– Do not run the scan yet.

Boot your computer into Safemode

* Go to Start> Shut Off your Computer> Restart
* As the computer starts to boot-up, Tap the F8 KEY somewhat rapidly,
this will bring up a menu.
* Use the Up and Down Arrow Keys to scroll up to SAFEMODE
* Then press the Enter on your Keyboard

IMPORTANT: Do not open any other windows or programs while ewido is scanning, it may interfere with the scanning proccess:

* Lauch Ewido-Anti-Spyware by double-clicking the icon on your desktop.
* Select the Scanner icon at the top and then the Scan tab then click on Complete System Scan.
* Ewido will now begin the scanning process, be patient this may take a little time.
* Once the scan is complete do the following:
* If you have any infections you will prompted, then select Apply all actions
* Next select the Reports icon at the top.
* Select the Save report as button in the lower left hand of the screen and save it to a text file on your system
*** make sure to remember where you saved that file, this is important
* Close Ewido



Post the Ewido report and a new HJT log please.
Ok Ken,

Ewido log

——————><—————–
———————————————————
ewido anti-spyware - Scan Report
———————————————————

+ Created at: 12:02:22 AM 24/08/2006

+ Scan result:



C:\WINNT\system32\TFTP1000 -> Backdoor.SdBot.lu : Cleaned with backup (quarantined).
C:\Documents and Settings\MarioG\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\45N8X2YK\popup[2].php -> Hijacker.Agent.a : Cleaned with backup (quarantined).
C:\Documents and Settings\MarioG\Cookies\mariog@112.2o7[2].txt -> TrackingCookie.2o7 : Cleaned with backup (quarantined).
C:\Documents and Settings\MarioG\Cookies\mariog@newsinteractive.112.2o7[2].txt -> TrackingCookie.2o7 : Cleaned with backup (quarantined).
C:\Documents and Settings\MarioG\Cookies\mariog@atdmt[2].txt -> TrackingCookie.Atdmt : Cleaned with backup (quarantined).
C:\Documents and Settings\MarioG\Cookies\[removed][2].txt -> TrackingCookie.Clickhype : Cleaned with backup (quarantined).
C:\Documents and Settings\MarioG\Cookies\mariog@doubleclick[2].txt -> TrackingCookie.Doubleclick : Cleaned with backup (quarantined).
C:\Documents and Settings\MarioG\Cookies\mariog@fastclick[2].txt -> TrackingCookie.Fastclick : Cleaned with backup (quarantined).
C:\Documents and Settings\MarioG\Cookies\[removed][1].txt -> TrackingCookie.Fastclick : Cleaned with backup (quarantined).
C:\Documents and Settings\MarioG\Cookies\mariog@revenue[2].txt -> TrackingCookie.Revenue : Cleaned with backup (quarantined).
C:\Documents and Settings\MarioG\Cookies\[removed]-sys[1].txt -> TrackingCookie.Serving-sys : Cleaned with backup (quarantined).
C:\Documents and Settings\MarioG\Cookies\mariog@serving-sys[2].txt -> TrackingCookie.Serving-sys : Cleaned with backup (quarantined).
C:\Documents and Settings\MarioG\Cookies\[removed][2].txt -> TrackingCookie.Yieldmanager : Cleaned with backup (quarantined).


::Report end

——————><—————–

Hijack this log.

——————><—————–

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 12:04:48 AM, on 24/08/2006
Platform: Windows 2000 SP4 (WinNT 5.00.2195)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINNT\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\services.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\WBEM\WinMgmt.exe
C:\WINNT\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Hijack this\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.news.com.au/
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.ocx
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_08\bin\ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar2.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINNT\system32\msdxm.ocx
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar2.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Synchronization Manager] mobsync.exe /logon
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CARPService] carpserv.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroCheck] C:\WINNT\system32\\NeroCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Component Manager] "C:\Program Files\HP\hpcoretech\hpcmpmgr.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_EMC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Software Update] C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_08\bin\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [!ewido] "C:\Program Files\ewido anti-spyware 4.0\ewido.exe" /minimized
O4 - Global Startup: Acrobat Assistant.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Distillr\AcroTray.exe
O4 - Global Startup: AutoCAD Startup Accelerator.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Autodesk Shared\acstart16.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Google Search - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmsearch.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Translate English Word - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmwordtrans.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Backward Links - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmbacklinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Cached Snapshot of Page - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmcache.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Similar Pages - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmsimilar.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Translate Page into English - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmtrans.html
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_08\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_08\bin\ssv.dll
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O16 - DPF: {156BF4B7-AE3A-4365-BD88-95A75AF8F09D} (HPSDDX Class) - http://www.hp.com/cpso-support-new/SDD/hpsddObjSigned.cab
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/…b?1132745285558
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{CC5E62D0-D8B0-447E-B114-9AC3B0F97400}: NameServer = 202.52.32.2,202.52.32.6
O23 - Service: Autodesk Licensing Service - Autodesk, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Autodesk Shared\Service\AdskScSrv.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Logical Disk Manager Administrative Service (dmadmin) - VERITAS Software Corp. - C:\WINNT\System32\dmadmin.exe
O23 - Service: ewido anti-spyware 4.0 guard - Anti-Malware Development a.s. - C:\Program Files\ewido anti-spyware 4.0\guard.exe
O23 - Service: Pml Driver HPZ12 - HP - C:\WINNT\system32\HPZipm12.exe

—————————–><————————–

The Ewido scan picked up 2 infections that were high risk. I couldn't read the full text as the text ran off the side but it seemed to mention an internet explorer hijacker.

Anyway hope all this tells you something.

Thanks again.

Mario
Hello Mario,

The two bad entries that Ewido found where cleaned, the rest where all cookies.

lets do this…

Open up IE and go to Tools> Internet Options , click on Delete Cookies, Delete Files and Delete Offline Content as well.


Lets run another cleaner.
If you dont want the Yahoo ToolBar installed, be sure to uncheck during the installation of CCleaner
Download and Install CCleaner
* Click on Run Cleaner
Tutorial for CCleaner



Then run these two free online virus scanners, have them set to auto clean or to clean all it finds.

Panda Active Scan <– This one wont clean everything but will give you a nice report, post the report in your next reply.

Housecall <–This will clean, let me know of anything it found and could not clean


Also let me see a new HJT log, it looks like you ran HJT in Safemode , HJT in Safemode wont list all the running programs so make sure you run it in normal windows.
Ken, I was just browsing your website when I got your message. I did run hijack this in safe mode, I will repost it after the Panda scan has finished. I ran CCleaner and it cleaned up the temp files etc. There is an "issues" tab on the left. I clicked on that and ran it. It says amongst other things "missing shared dll", "unused file extension", "open with application issue", "uninstaller reference issue" etc.. There is tab at the bottom right that says "fix selected issues (they are all checked). Should I click that box? Panda scan is currently running.
The Issues scan is safe to run, it does make changes to your registry, so be sure when you click on it , when the box pops up to make a backup, be sure to check it.
HJT log

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 2:10:54 AM, on 24/08/2006
Platform: Windows 2000 SP4 (WinNT 5.00.2195)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINNT\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\services.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\ewido anti-spyware 4.0\guard.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\regsvc.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\MSTask.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\stisvc.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\WBEM\WinMgmt.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\msdtc.exe
C:\WINNT\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINNT\system32\carpserv.exe
C:\Program Files\HP\hpcoretech\hpcmpmgr.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_08\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\ewido anti-spyware 4.0\ewido.exe
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Distillr\AcroTray.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Hijack this\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.news.com.au/
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.ocx
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_08\bin\ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar2.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINNT\system32\msdxm.ocx
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar2.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Synchronization Manager] mobsync.exe /logon
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CARPService] carpserv.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroCheck] C:\WINNT\system32\\NeroCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Component Manager] "C:\Program Files\HP\hpcoretech\hpcmpmgr.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_EMC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Software Update] C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_08\bin\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [!ewido] "C:\Program Files\ewido anti-spyware 4.0\ewido.exe" /minimized
O4 - Global Startup: Acrobat Assistant.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Distillr\AcroTray.exe
O4 - Global Startup: AutoCAD Startup Accelerator.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Autodesk Shared\acstart16.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Google Search - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmsearch.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Translate English Word - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmwordtrans.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Backward Links - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmbacklinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Cached Snapshot of Page - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmcache.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Similar Pages - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmsimilar.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Translate Page into English - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmtrans.html
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_08\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_08\bin\ssv.dll
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O16 - DPF: {156BF4B7-AE3A-4365-BD88-95A75AF8F09D} (HPSDDX Class) - http://www.hp.com/cpso-support-new/SDD/hpsddObjSigned.cab
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/…b?1132745285558
O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://acs.pandasoftware.com/activescan/as5free/asinst.cab
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{CC5E62D0-D8B0-447E-B114-9AC3B0F97400}: NameServer = 202.52.32.2,202.52.32.6
O23 - Service: Autodesk Licensing Service - Autodesk, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Autodesk Shared\Service\AdskScSrv.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Logical Disk Manager Administrative Service (dmadmin) - VERITAS Software Corp. - C:\WINNT\System32\dmadmin.exe
O23 - Service: ewido anti-spyware 4.0 guard - Anti-Malware Development a.s. - C:\Program Files\ewido anti-spyware 4.0\guard.exe
O23 - Service: Pml Driver HPZ12 - HP - C:\WINNT\system32\HPZipm12.exe


Panda log


Incident Status Location

Adware:adware/clickalchemy Not disinfected C:\WINNT\alchem.ini
Adware:Adware/IPInsight Not disinfected C:\WINNT\inf\alchem.inf

Again many thanks.
I will now run the housecall scan
Hello Ken, I ran housecall and it detected and cleaned one piece of malware. It also flagged some security issues to do with Office 2000. Again I don't have the install CD's so I cannot run the office updates but I am in the process of tracking it down. Ok let me know if I can do anything else to help you help me. I am going to hit the hay now as it is 3am here and I have to work tomorrow. (Well today.) Thanks. Mario

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI