Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93085 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Norton Antivirus And Cws

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 warrenfamily2000

warrenfamily2000

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 April 2004 - 05:19 AM

:scratch: I have been fighting all morning to remove CWS and have finally suceeded, thanks to CW Shredder, Spyware blasters and removal tools, startedit and more. I am a little annoyed that the brand new updated Nortons Antivirus I bought does not even mention these trojans and I can't seem to find out why. Does anyone know?

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Angoid

Angoid

Developer

• Dev
  • PipPip
  • 230 posts
  • Interests:Church, Computers, R/C model aircraft

Posted 27 April 2004 - 06:19 AM

Hi Warrenfamily2000, and welcome to TomCoyote :) Sometimes it's down to how the AV vendor defines it targets. Sometimes what's defined as "adware" or "spyware" and the like is not targeted for removal by some of the AV products because it doesn't fit in with their definition of "virus", "trojan", and whatknot. Sucks, doesn't it? With Norton, I think you can purchase an "extended threat" detection with some packages which will detect these other types - that should give you more all-round protection. The other possibility is that some of these trojans, especially CoolWebSearch, are mutated so frequently by their creators that the next variant is already taking hostages when an expert has just figured out how to fix its precedessor. Hope that helps - I'm sure others will add their thoughts on this as well!

Edited by Angoid, 27 April 2004 - 06:21 AM.

If you don't know what eschatology is then don't worry; it's not the end of the world.

#3 Guest_SalukiFan_*

Guest_SalukiFan_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 April 2004 - 12:01 PM

Angoid said it well, so I'll just add that different vendors will call the same threat by different names, which makes it harder sometimes to figure out what's what.

No one program can totally protect you. A layered security approach is usually best. You may want to read So how did I get infected in the first place? by Tony Klein.

#4 getsteppin

getsteppin

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Interests:Being able to climb out of bed on any given day.

Posted 27 April 2004 - 08:50 PM

I had the same questions..."Why is NORTON/Symantech..this and that" Actually I had THAT question since version 3.715 was updated to 4.500. I took some good advise and dumped the entire mess....and installed AVG freebee version...no exotic PURCHASES for "expanded" NUTHIN'....and too, ZAPro has worked exceptionally well eversince. To date..since December '03.. 24,871 intrusions attempts and 853 have been high rated...intrusion atempts 111 just today. NORTON never worked that well with ANYTHING...including MailWasher Pro and Benign. Matter of fact, Symantech s**t in their bed when introducing 4.500, the latest version will block out/erradicate the .dll files for email scrubbers, such as MWPro..of which it HAS to use. NORTON is sloppy and has too many "kitchen sinks". the addon programs available plus the FREEBEE'S available out there put NORTON/Symantech to shame. So, all in all the BEST advice to you with NORTON anything...Dump It quickly!!!!! :huh: And No More headaches. Get AVG the freebee AV program...no bells or whistles..just excellent protection. Plan on purchasing a router too..I have and will soon, then, there will be NO yearly subscriptions for someone else's Firewall, either. Hardware firewalls are the best way to go. And cost comparison to yearly subscription services in the long run will win out when you own your own protection. And you dont have to have more than 1 PC..i.e.."network of computers" to need a router. By the way..get an email server/encoder like Mailwasher Pro and the Great and Powerful Benign encoder from Firetrust.com.... and tell Hamish, getsteppin sent you :thumbup:
MSI 266 K7 KT4 V mother board XP HOME SP2//1.2gig AMD/DURON..Does OK 786 SDRAM/SGDRAM 128 bit/333DDR ATI/Radon 9600SE card...well worth $$$ BitDefender Standard 8..awesome!! Puts Norton/Symantic to shame OutPost Firewall Pro ver. 2.5.370.4626 (370) AD-AWARE SE Personal MailWasher PRO..killer!! Benign (.b9) e-mail encoder.. requires no definiton updates..the best defense against e-mail buggs,virus's, attachments, web buggs and stuff I cant remember... from FireTrust.com