When I scan with network unplugged, there was only one discrepancy on the D drive. I plugged the network cable back on and it found 6 more. Should I wait till the pop ups appear and then scan again?
BTW, I am already using the newest version of Mozilla Firefox.
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Cache\Paths\Directory 6/6/2006 4:43 PM 168 bytes Windows API length not consistent with raw hive data.
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Cache\Paths\path1\CachePath 6/6/2006 4:43 PM 182 bytes Windows API length not consistent with raw hive data.
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Cache\Paths\path2\CachePath 6/6/2006 4:43 PM 182 bytes Windows API length not consistent with raw hive data.
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Cache\Paths\path3\CachePath 6/6/2006 4:43 PM 182 bytes Windows API length not consistent with raw hive data.
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Cache\Paths\path4\CachePath 6/6/2006 4:43 PM 182 bytes Windows API length not consistent with raw hive data.
D: 0 bytes Error mounting volume
Disabling the Messenger Service
To remove the ability for anyone in the world to pop up messages on your computer, you can disable the Messenger service. Its easy to reverse at a later time if you wish to do so.
Windows XP Home
Click Start->Settings ->Control Panel
Click Performance and Maintenance
Click Administrative Tools
Double click Services Scroll
down and highlight "Messenger"
Right-click the highlighted line and choose Properties.
Click the STOP button.
Select Disable or Manual in the Startup Type scroll bar
Click OK
Windows XP Professional
Click Start->Settings ->Control Panel
Click Administrative Tools
Click Services
Double click Services Scroll
down and highlight "Messenger"
Right-click the highlighted line and choose Properties.
Click the STOP button.
Select Disable or Manual in the Startup Type scroll bar
Click OK
After my last reboot, I have not opened any browsers and it has been quiet for more than 15 minutes. If it remains quiet, it must have something to do with the browsers. After I open Firefox, something is changed and the popups reappear. Does this help?
I think I rebooted without the network connected the last time. If I reboot with the network connected, MSN Messenger will try to log in and then the popups will reappear. Still no popups yet.
I have disabled Messenger. By updating Firefox, do you mean downloading and reinstalling? I am already using the latest version 1.5.0.4 Shall I reboot and see what happens? Or simply open a browser?
Ewido updated itself and is on guard. SpySweeper is on. Opened Firebox browser and navigated a little. Still no popups. Will continue to wait and navigate for a few more minutes. If no popups, I will restart and see what happens.
Just rebooted, MSN Messenger came up with the log on screen. I did not sign in. Checked Services and still see it disabled. Opened Firefox and navigated around to other sites such as MSN.com, Google.com, Amazon.com….still NO POP UPS!!! So far so good!!
***Still no pop ups! I will continue to play around tonight. Will stay away from MSN Messenger! Do we need to clean up some files? What about other programs such as Mediaplayer and ITunes? Shall I stay away from them for now?
All seemed to be working well UNTIL I logged on to Yahoo Messenger! Pop ups reappear. Wonder if it has to do with that. It was not automatically started.
1. Checked Services..do not see any place to disable it.
2. Rebooted computer with network connected. Pop ups reappeared.
3. Rebooted computer with cable unplugged.
4. Reconnected cable.
5. Opened browsers. Quiet again. Must be something attached to those programs when I use them to communicate.
6. Rebooted computer with cable plugged in this time.
7. Opened Browsers…..let's see what happens…nothing yet…..
Thanks, I'll try that and post the log. BTW, I opened Task Manager and checked Processes. I then did a search on the .exe files listed. I noticed some of the files for e.g. explorer.exe, spoolsv.exe, lsass.exe, services.exe, taskmgr.exe, alg.exe etc are located in C:\Windows\System32 and also C:\Windows\Software Distribution\Download\16b2c96a0c414dfdb4d3cc288a4f819 Shouldn't they be located in just the System32 folder?
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI