This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Laptop Running Slow

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I found your forum yesterday, and it was VERY helpful in removing some malware and spyware problems that I was having (http://forums.tomcoyote.org/index.php?showtopic=63966) was the exact problem that I had. I ran Hijackthis & SmitfraudFix scan & ATF Cleaner. Solved my problems. However, now my laptop runs slow. I notice the problem when I'm trying to save files. In Excel or Word, when I click Save As, and the save box appears; when I click on the drop down arrow to choose the location, my computer takes forever to respond. I have 2 gigs of RAM, and can't understand why it act this way. Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1 Scan saved at 12:45:50 PM, on 6/1/2006 Platform: Windows 2000 SP4 (WinNT 5.00.2195) MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106) Thanks!
How much "free space" do you have on your hard drive?
Clean out your Temp and Temporary Internet files.

Here's the long manual way to clean out junk files, or you can download and install CleanUp! 4.50, here
Click on the item:

Freeware: Windows CleanUp! Utility
Protects your privacy and frees up disk space.
Version 4.5 now available.

Here's the Manual method if you prefer:

Go to
Start - Run - (type) "cleanmgr" without the quotes.
Let it scan your system for files to remove.
Check these three boxes and then press ok to remove:
Temporary Files,
Temporary Internet Files,
Recycle Bin.

Then GoTo:
Start - Find/search - Files or folders - in the named box, type: *.tmp
When the list is generated, choose
Edit - select all - File - delete.

Note: If you cannot delete them all at once because you have too many, then click and hold ctrl and highlight a batch of them at a time. Once highlighted, R-click over the highlight and select delete.

Then use
Start - Run - (type) "%temp%" (without the quotes).
Delete the entire contents of that "temp" folder
(use Edit - Select All - press "Delete", click "Yes").

Then,
Empty your Temporary Internet Cache completely.
Close all instances of Outlook and Internet Explorer,
then use "Control Panel - Internet Options - General tab and click the "Delete File" button.
When prompted place a check in: "Delete all offline content", then click OK.

Then, use Windows Explorer to clean out ALL the other temp folders on your system
(navigate to the folder, (as listed below)
use "Edit - Select All", press "Delete", click "Yes"

* C:\Documents and Settings\\Local Settings\Temp\
* C:\Documents and Settings\\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\
* C:\Documents and Settings\\Local Settings\Temp\

* C:\Windows\Prefetch\

* Empty your "Recycle Bin".

Note: This is a long manual way to clear out .tmp files. It is safe and highly recommended.







Have you Defragged since doing your work in HJT?

Windows System Files may have become corrupted by your infection, and even with the infection now removed you may have a compromised operating system.

Run System File Checker
Start - Run (type) sfc /scannow
Have your Windows 2000 installation CD handy in case SFC finds missing or corrupt system files that can be replaced.

Examine your StartUp list:
You may have a bunch of programs and processes running from StartUp.
You may have even more programs and processes running now, due to items that you installed to serve in your HJT fix.

Microsoft System Configuration Utility is handy for "disabling" programs and processes that are consuming system resources (hard to believe with 2 gigs of RAM but it can happen).

But Windows 2000 doesn't have System Configuration Utility, which was available in Win98 and brought back in WinXP. Don't lose hope. You can import the WinXP System Configurtion Utility and it runs reliably in Windows 2000.

You can get it, off of an XP CD or go here:
http://www.techadvice.com/win2000/m/msconfig_w2k.htm
Follow the directions on that website.

Once finished with the above….
Start - Run (type) MSCONFIG

Your new System Configuration Utility will appear with several tabs.
The ones of interest to you at this time are Services and StartUp.

Click on StartUp Tab
Consider disabling programs and process that you do not use anymore or that you use rarely and can activate manually by clicking on the programs icon.

For reference of what is safe to disable in MSCONFIG StartUp, consult:
www.answersthatwork.com
or Pacman's StartUp files now hosted at CastleCops website.

Post back with your progress.

Best Regards
Thanks for the info. I tried everything but degragging the hard drive, which I will do tonight. I'll let you know.
OK, I did everything described above, and defragged the hard drive last night. But it still takes about 20 seconds for me to access the drop down box when I do a Save As. I'm on a network, and have 3 mapped drives. Could that have something to do with it? But when I'm not on the network, it still takes a long time.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI