This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Outlook 2003 break down after cleaning infection

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi there

Ken545 has helped me getting rid of an malware infection - http://forums.tomcoyote.org/index.php?showtopic=63041&st=0
but after I got the infection and cleaned it, my outlook craches every time I open an iten within outlook… Opening a mail, a sent iten, a calendar item (or creating a new one) or opening a contact, outlook craches.
In the biginning I "reported" it to MS - and they had suggestion that I should install the latest updates. Did that - still no change.
I then used the repair option from install - no change
Then I uninstalled outlook - and reinstalled it again - no change (-but it had also keept all my privious settings and connection to our company exchange server.

Don't know what to do…. Really hope you guys are just as excelent as those at malware problems,- and can give me some ideas about what to do. I would really just hate it if I have make a total reinstallation with format of the harddisk.

StigD
Malware…. Better check your system for existing malicious malware on your computer.

Visit : http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/search….?displaylang=en
Then Download the "Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool" click it for more details.

After downloading, close all running program and doucle click it and perform a full system scan.
It takes several hours depending on the speed of your system…….See results after scanning proccess ends.

Cheer up B)
Hi mate Thanks for your answer - but I can really not use that for anything. As stated in my post - the malicious malware and spyware HAS BEEN REMOVED… ! Problem is the state ny pc is in AFTER the removal. Stig PS.. I also created a local user on the pc - without network. Loged in on that user and opened outlook without making an mail account. Now I can use calendar, contacts notes, tasks without problem - no crash. - so I expect it might have something to do with the user specifc settings - or ???
First, go to File > Import and Export > Export to a File > Personal Folder File (.pst) 1. Select the folder to export (use the one at the top of the heirarchy) 2. Check the "Include Subfolders" box 3. Choose where to save the exported file 4. Choose the duplicate option you would like (I allow them) 5. If you use encryption write down the password Now you have a backup in case something really nasty happens, copy the file to a cd or (as a last resort, if it will fit) floppy. What happens when Outlook crashes? Do you get an error message, does the program freeze or just disappear? If you do get an error message what is it? Do you have another mail client you can test to see if the problem is with the client or the mail subsystem (do this with a "live" account so you can fully test). Do you have the Help > Detect and Repair option? Have you used it? Did you use it with the "Discard my customized settings …" option?
Hi Rand. Thanks a lot for your answer mate - my mailbox is just so full that I think I'll also use the oppertunity to clean it up. I've taken a copy as requested - so that should be taken care of anyway. When outlook crashes - it freezes for 5-7 seconds - and then just disappear… with the option "Report to MS". Done that several times - and no suggestions comes back. - and there is no error message. I'll attach another live mail account to it and see what happens. Yes - I've used the Detect & repair a couple of times - but NOT with the option to discard my settings. If I use that - what will it remove? Linkage to the company exchange server? or just how it "looks & feels". I'll post to you the findings tomorrow. StigD
Detect and Repair info


  • Go to tools > email accounts > view or change existing email accounts
    Select an account and click the "change" button
  • Copy down all the info you see and make sure you know the passwords!!
  • Click the "More Settings" button and copy any information filled in and record any raido button or checkbox selections.
  • Repeat for all accounts
That should take care of reconnecting if you lose your email server settings.

Make sure you know your passwords, you will not be able to see them in the dialogs with the other info (they are masked by *s).
Hi rand I'm very apriciative for your help…! I moved all content of my outlook into an archive - and deattached the archive. Then used detect & repair with resetting all personal settings. AND THAT DID THE TRICK… After reconnecting to exchange (via a VPN conn) it started creating a new local offline archive - and now EVERYTHING WORKS FINE AGAIN. Great help - thanks a lot Stig

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI