This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

sndvol.exe

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

The speaker icon used for volume control is gone from the system tray on my machine. I suspect something happened during my SpywareQuake fiasco, and now I have no volume. I've tried going to the Control Panel and reinstalling it, but it's not available. Has this happened to anyone before? Is there a way to fix it? I'm running Windows 2000 Professional, and I don't have the install disc. I have a plain ol' 2000 disc that I tried, but it screwed me up almost as bad as the spyware I had, so I did a system restore to get back to almost normal. Any ideas?
Let's try this…….
Click Start, and then click Control Panel
Click Sound, Speech, and Audio Devices
Under Pick a task, click Change the speaker settings
In the Sounds and Audio Devices Properties dialog box, on the Volume tab, select the Place volume icon in the taskbar check box, and then click OK.
I've tried that. Many times in fact, most of them concentrating very hard trying to convince my computer, through telepathy, to cooperate. That method has not worked. I think the reason the option to place the volume option on the taskbar is greyed out is because there is no volume icon. From the research I've done, I'm guessing the sndvol.exe is gone, and so can't be activated. I think. I'm no expert.
I don't really know what I'm looking for. Multimedia Sound Controller has a yellow circle/exclamation point next to it. When I go through the reinstall process it asks for a disc to retrieve the driver. I'll have to look in some boxes in the basement and see if I have something. Otherwise it says everything else is installed.
Sound Drivers should be available for download at the manufacturer's site for your computer.
If you have a Service Tag (or similar ID) ……….type it in the manufacturer's site Search function to get the complete list of drivers. If you don't have a Service Tag type ID, then search the manufacturer's site based on the model of your machine.

If you built the system yourself, then download and install Everest 2.20 from majorgeeks website, here:
http://majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4181

Run Everest - click on MultiMedia - click on PCI / Pnp Audio
Your sound card/device should be listed in the right-hand panel.
With the sound card/device identified, search its specific manufacturer site for the drivers.

Tell us a little about the "plain ole' 2000 disk"……..
You may be able to run System File Checker to identify missing or corrupt system files, and copy any needed fresh file from that disk.

Best Regards

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI