please advise: I get the following message upon starting computer:
"Data Execution Prevention – Microsoft Windows
To help protect your computer windows has closed this program.
Name: Generic host process for win32 services
Publisher: Microsoft Corporation"
I found this link: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=894391 but don't quite understand it. They have a "hotfix" but I don't know if I have 32-bit or 64-bit XP.
I have XP Media Center edition.
I recently downloaded some songs via bittorrent.com, could the files be corrupted?
You'd know if you had XP Professional 64bit, because you would see those or similar words displayed each time you boot, and most likely you would have deliberately purchased it due to your advanced useage needs.
Windows XP Media Center version is not 64bit (at this time). It may be somewhat confusing though, since Media Center machines are generally "store bought" and often have AMD 64 type CPUs. This does not mean that your Media Center operating system is 64bit, only that it is being run on an AMD 64 Computer Processing Unit. You are running a 32bit Media Center XP operating system.
Here's a note from MS MVSP about the XP Pro 64bit edition:
The initial target audience for Windows XP Professional x64 Edition is anyone who is running into performance and memory limits on their 32-bit systems, for example, developers, media artists, CAD/CAM, scientific workstations and enthusiasts who are running the most demanding applications, and who require the capabilities of the Professional Edition of Windows XP. Windows XP Home Edition is targeted at the home user and has fewer features. At this point, especially with the current limited driver support, Windows XP Professional x64 Edition is not targeted at the casual home user.
I recently downloaded some songs via bittorrent.com, could the files be corrupted?
Downloading from a peer-to-peer source like bit-torrent exposes your machine to risk of malware as well as unsuccessful download due to corrupted files.
It's also the case that peer-to-peer "file names" can be excessively long and include characters in the file name that provoke conflicts. Renaming the filename might be useful, but should not be done in order to force your machine to open and run a file that it is identifying as corrupted or of an unspecified or incompatable file extension type.
It it was me, I'd delete the problematic file(s) and download elsewhere.
Best Regards
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI