This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Discussion

How to make helping others better and faster!

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Hi! I'm a new member that joined recently. My laptop got infected by a trojan horse and I came across this marvelous website and forum when I tried searching online for solutions. Being worried about the infection in my computer, I promptly signed up, downloaded the HijackThis program and uploaded my HJT log.
However, I did not receive any help nor reply yet (for about 2 days). Thus, I decided to look around and see what I can do to "self-help". The self help section is marvelous! I followed the first post, downloaded the various anti-spywares and scanned my system. In the scans, I managed to remove several trojans.

Now comes the difficult bit. I am trying to upload my new HJT log and eWido scan log to ensure that my computer is really free of spyware (after the "self-help" instructions). However, I do not wish to post another forum entry since I already had one. I tried to edit my old post but was unable to do so (couldn't find the link to do so). I guess this is because I'm a new member here (limited actions?).

Anyway, I have a few suggestions to make this forum service even better and faster.

1. Maybe we can try to make sure people who wants to post in this forum FIRST tried out the solutions in the "self-help" section. This would really facilitate the experts in getting the correct information fast. Something like "Please do try the "self-help" section first before posting your HJT log"?
2. A page of instructions of what logs or scans to prepare/dp before posting the HJT log be put up. Perhaps this could be a compulsory reading that the new members should read BEFORE posting. For example, to download ewido anti-malware and include a ewido scan log with the HJT log after the scans, besides using the HJT logging program. I have seen many HJT log entries in which the experts had to repeat the same set of instructions: download spybot, adaware and ewido; scan; include ewido scan log… etc. All these can be minimised, saving the experts many unnecessary and redundant posts.
3. Perhaps an "edit" function for new members to edit and update their HJT logs for any subsequent actions taken? The FAQs mentioned that there was such a function, but I couldn't find it…
As a result, the only way to update my post is to "reply" to my own post with the updated logs. Maybe then the experts browsing thru the forum might then neglect my post seeing a "reply" to my post (suggesting that another expert is already helping out?)
4. Perhaps then a "delete" function can be given for new members to delete the old post? I did not do a new post in addition to my old post as I feel doing so will only serve to clog the forum. If we could delete our old post, then we can put the new updated posts with a peace of mind. :)

These are some of my suggestions that I feel could save everybody a lot of time. Anyway, as of this posting, my problem is still unsolved. I have included my updated HJT log and ewido scan log as a "reply" to my first post. Anyone helping me, please do not bother reading the first HJT log, unless you want some background information about my system before the ewido scan. :)
My HJT log is located in the forum "HijackThis Logs and Spyware/Malware Removal" and here's a link to it: http://forums.tomcoyote.org/index.php?showtopic=61659

Thanks in advance for helping! - Kenny Joseph :)
Although I do agree that in many cases it makes sense to try the basics first (install ad-aware etc.) I don't feel that elevating the threshold for people to post their HJT logs would be a good idea. Especially people who are experienced in reading HJT logs will know what to look for and might find something at first glance that's not obvious to the person posting their log. I like this board for the fact that people can simply post their HJT logs and get help with them, as some people are just not computer savvy enough to help themselves (although I give them at least some credit for the fact that they installed HJT in the first place.) There are too many people out there who are quick to point out to "RTFM", when someone has a genuine question but just doesn't know where to start. Personally I've always been able to keep my system clean using only HJT, so I think it's a good start. Greets, Timo.
We like to see hijackthis logs before people try to apply fixes themselves, unless from the selfhelp section, as it is easier to see what is going on as Timo suggested. Sometimes the fixes muddy the water and are only done half correctly so a freah hijackthis log generally is better than one that has been worked on. Regards.
Siggyx and _Timo_, Good points.. didn't really think of it that way.. Was thinking "gosh! help could be given so much faster if there was a set of fixed instructions to post a fully informative HJT log (with necessary appended info)." Anyway, thanks for posting your thoughts on my post. Appreciate it. :) Oh, by the way, my laptop is patched up, and running again… all thanks to the dedicated people on this forum! Cheers! :thumbup: Warmest regards, Kenny Joseph