Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Downloads Vanish!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 arid

arid

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 April 2006 - 04:48 PM

When I download a file, like a driver or an application in Internet Explorer I get the usual Run or Save option, then the bar scale appears and it looks like the application is downloading. When it has finished downloading it appears on the desktop for about half a second then disappears forever. I have an Inspiron 8600 with Windows XP SP2 with all updates. I have tried Panda Active-Scan, Symantec Security Check, Nod 32, Kaspersky online scan and do not appear to have any viruses. i have disabled my antivirus software and still I cannot download. Anybody got any suggestions on what to try next? Thanks in advance. Alan

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 15 April 2006 - 05:15 PM

Is your download target folder - Desktop ? using Windows Explorer do the files appear in Desktop. If you know the exact name of the downloaded file use the Windows Explorer "Search" function to scan for and find the file. It will appear in the default download location file that is set on your machine. During the download, look at the Downloading Screen. It will probably have a small checkbox for "Close this screen after download is complete". UnCheck that box so that the screen remains open. Then when the download is complete the Downloading Screen will give you Options to "Open" Open Folder" or Close. Select "Open Folder" to see where the file has been downloaded to. Best Regards
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

#3 arid

arid

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 April 2006 - 05:42 PM

Thanks for replying Dough, Yes, Desktop is my target folder and no the files donot appear on the Desktop. I have run a search and the downloads do not apear on my computer. The downloads I have been trying are from sites like Dell and Microsoft, so I sure the the download sites are OK. regards Alan

#4 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 15 April 2006 - 05:59 PM

Gotta be "specific" here. "DeskTop" comes before "My Computer" in your "file structure tree". Therefore, if you "search" in "My Computer", you will never find anything that is on your "Desktop". How to find files that are on your Desktop: Open: Windows Explorer Use the Up Arrow at the top of the Windows Explorer Command Bar. Keep clicking Up until you get to the screen that looks like this: Desktop: ..My Computer: .....Floppy A: .....C:\ .....D:\ .....Recycle Bin .....Printers: .....Control Panel .....Dial Up Networking .....etc. .....etc. do your downloaded files appear in this location? Best Regards

#5 arid

arid

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 April 2006 - 06:16 PM

No, can not find it there either. I did a search of the whole computer with no result. regards alan

#6 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 15 April 2006 - 07:45 PM

How about in: Documents and Settings\Username\Desktop Go To Windows Explorer - Tools - Folder Options Check - View Hidden files and Folders

#7 arid

arid

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 April 2006 - 08:05 PM

Thanks All I found the problem. Some thing had changed The firewall settings and was being controlled by a group policy. Here is what I did. 1. Click Start, Run and type Regedit.exe 2. Navigate to the following locations: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Policies \ Microsoft \ WindowsFirewall -and- HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ SOFTWARE \ Policies \ Microsoft \ WindowsFirewall 3. Backup and then delete the WindowsFirewall key. 4. Close Regedit.exe and restart Windows.

#8 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 15 April 2006 - 08:07 PM

Thanks for letting us know. Glad you got it sorted. :)