Hello,
I have been getting this message (below) in white writing on a blue screen 3-4 times when I am downloading some
things. I think it happened mostly when I was dowloading the AVG antivirus edition for Windows XP, using firefox. I
think it is just AVG setting it off because I can download most things and when you get Windows back up it says that
the download is completed for AVG and then when you try to open it, it says that you have to install it again
because some files are missing or something like that. What do you think would be the problem? What could I do to
download it properly because I really need it. It says if this is a new software or hardware installion you should
see if the manufactarer has any Windows Updates for it. Should I ask AVG?
Has anyone else had this message? It says that if problems continue (they have) then you should uninstall or disable
new software and hardware but I am just installing the setup file for AVG arn't I or am I downloading the actual
program and its trying to instal itself, I'm not sure? So all 3-4 times I have just restared the computer and
everything have been hunky dory until next time try to download something. I am able to download other things like
pdf documents etc. I havn't intalled any other software or hardware since we got this computer except for the
printer which is working fine from day one and just trying to download the setup? file for AVG.
It says to change something in the BIOS but I havn't changed any settings in there, but should I do what it says
anyway and disable caching and shadowing? Should I do this because I havn't had experience working in the BIOS
system? I have been downloading on dial-up so I left it on over night and I think one time I left it on during the
day and I got the same message.
This is a copy of the message that is appearing, as it tells you it had to shutdown windows therfore print screen
wouldn't work and so we have just written it down on a piece of paper and I have typed it so I hope it is accurate.
"A problem has been detected and windows has been shutdown to prevent damage to your computer.
DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
If this is the first you've seen this stop error screen restart your computer. If this screen appears again follow
these steps. Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation,
ask your hardware or software manufactarer for any windows updates you night need.
If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software, Disable BIOS memory options such
as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press
F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.
TECHNICAL INFORMATION
***STOP:OX 000000 D1 (OXA9471406, OX00000002, OX00000000, OXA93F96F3
***Mtlstrm.sys - Address A93F96F3 base at A9333000, Date Stamp 3P408237
Beginning dump of physical memory
Physical memory dump complete.
Contact you system administrator or technical support group for further assistance."
Thankyou for helping me,
~Matt :-)
A good place to start will be in Device Manager.
Take a look to see if you have any yellow or red warnings for various device drivers.
If you find any, select Remove/uninstall driver, and then reboot to allow Windows to "find new hardware" and "install software/driver for new hardware".
Let us know how you are progressing.
The AVG "download" is just that, a file that gets downloaded.
If you select "Run" from the AVG site, that is a different matter.
I generally download programs that I want to install, and then install after it is downloaded.
I can't claim that it is bettter to do it that way, but it works for me.
I run AVG on several Win XP machines and am completely satisfied with how it installs and runs.
After checking for Device Driver problems, run your System File Checker, in case you have some missing or corrupt files in your Win XP operating system.
Start - Run - (type) sfc /scannow
Have your Win XP installation CD available, since SFC may need to copy and replace any missing or corrupt files it identifies.
Best Regards
p.s. I think you typed your posted message in NotePad or WordPad, and then copy/pasted it into your topic.
As a result you have a lot of extra "spacing" that makes it harder to read your message. In Notepad/WordPad "turn off" your "wordwrap" and the extra spacing will disappear. Just a thought.
Hi thankyou for your help. I am on the Smart Link website and it is asking me what version of Windows XP I have 32bit or 64bit. I'm unsure. How do I check?
~Matt :-)
Owner Manual
Title printed on Install CD
System Informtion utility
**********Start - All Programs - Accessories - System Tools - System Information
Read the Boot up screens
use a third party utility such as Everest or Belarc Advisor
I don't really understand what you mean = Owner Manual
Title printed on Install CD
System Informtion utility
**********Start - All Programs - Accessories - System Tools - System Information
Read the Boot up screens
use a third party utility such as Everest or Belarc Advisor
~Matt :-)
Title printed on Install CD ————The Microsoft Windows XP (home or pro) CD will tell you if it is 64 bit version
System Informtion utility————–will provide you with basic machine and OS information such as CPU, RAM, Hard Drive Free Space, Operating system WinXP (home or pro) or 64 bit version
*****to get to your machine's System information
GO TO *****Start - All Programs - Accessories - System Tools - System Information
Read the Boot up screens ————The information displayed on your screen when you Boot(start) will display a lot of system information, including your OS Version
use a third party utility such as Everest or Belarc Advisor
————Third party products like Everest or Belarc Advisor are extremely useful utilities to inventory your system for both hardware and software — and Everest will even give you running temperatures and power draws
Even if you don't use Everest today, Go Get It, install it, and notice the types of information it offers.
Hello,
I've struck another problem with the bule screen on the computer. Today it happened again and so I installed the modem driver that you told me to install. Then it said restart and so I did. After that I tried to connect to the internet and it said something about the modem not being connected to the computer. After about this time I tried to install it again and I wasn't really watching the screen but then it came up that it was installed fine so I restarted the computer but it wasn't so I went into install modems and so I installed it as a generic 5600kps modem. It started to dial but then a message came up saying hardware error. Does anyone know what is going on here?
One of the things I remember happening is when I was installing the modem driver on the computer admin account I was still logged in on my user account and it was on the internet. I think it usually disconnects you when you log off or even switch user but this time when I was installing I heard a click like it was disconnecting in the install. Would this of been the problem? Any ideas on how to fix it?
If you were wondering I am at my neighbours house writing.
Thankyou for your help,
~Matt:-)
Use Device Manager to remove the modem. You can do this in safe mode or in normal mode. Restart the computer in normal mode. Windows XP will redetect the modem and reinstall the correct drivers
Thankyou for your help.
Last night I fiddled with the settings and got it working again. I was going to post a message on the forums but I didn't have time last night.
I'm not sure weither i'm using the new driver or the old one but i'll post back here if I have anymore problems.
Once again, thankyou for your help,
~Matt :-)
Hello everybody,
I said I'd post back if I had any more troubles with the message and I have. Just today the same message (I think) has come up, making me restart the computer and losing everything that was up.
I'm not sure weither I should try to (re-)install the new driver for the modem (I don't know if it installed properly the first time). I'm not sure because the last time I did do that I had major troubles with the modem, but i'm not sure if that is due to Xtra's server thinge failing not the modem. When I went to my neighbours house their dial-up was working, I think they are on paradise, so I just assumed it was something wrong with out computer.
I just don't want the computer to muck up again if I try to instal the driver because if it does I'm not sure what I did to fix it last time and then I wouldn't have the internet to ask for help.
What do you think I should do?
~Matt :-)
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI