Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Unknown Cable Modem Activity

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 OpLan

OpLan

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 01:23 PM

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 18:27:33, on 27/03/2006
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Hello people.

Last Wednesday evening,I was doing something offline when I noticed activity on my cable modem.I discovered my ISP was having network problems so left it at that.
The next day,when NTL gave the all clear,I was puzzled to see that I still had this unknown traffic.
I posted my problem on a cable users forum

http://www.cableforu...ed=1#post712594

theres a couple of screenshots there to give you an idea of whats happening.
If this is normal activity,,why has it only just now shown itself on my modem,after being hidden for 3 years?
I've scanned for spyware and virus,with nothing more than cookies discovered.
I'm out of my depth when it comes to networking..I don't know where to start.

One of my many trawls for info led me to this thread,

http://www.cableforu....php/t-391.html

quote: "It means that ntl networks have left RIP running on a cable interface, which is bad practice. They need to set the cable interface you're on to Passive in the RIP config."
unquote.

Is this relevant to my problem?
Is there anything I can do to stop it?
What exactly is my PC exchanging with this address?
How detrimental to online gaming will this be?Since this started,I have done nothing but browse the net for solutions to this annoyance.I really miss my flight sim,but don't want to upset other players with a messed up connection.

I have contacted my ISP,through email,but they are saying its normal behaviour.I think this cannot be,as it has only just manifested itself since their service disruption..however I cannot prove this because I don't know enough to argue my point.

Anyone care enough to try and help me nail this?

thanls in advance for any advice offered..

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 shelf life

shelf life

SuperMember

• Visiting Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,191 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 05:54 PM

its normal to see traffic between your computer and modem. even normal to see blinking lights on your modem even if your pc is off. you actually are on a network with other modem users. the lights are DHCP/ARP broadcasts to all modems on your node. if your isp said it was normal, i would buy that. youve done malware scans. i couldnt view those uploads, but cache2.ntli.net is most likley from your isp. you said they were down, maybe they are still having network problems somewhere.

http://www.ntl-isp.n.../ServiceStatus/
How Can I Reduce My Risk?

#3 OpLan

OpLan

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 10:14 PM

..hmm..NTL seem to be having problems recently...my point is,if I am not actally doing something online,there is no activity on my modem.Not for these past 3 years. Thanks for the response anyway.