This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Unknown Cable Modem Activity

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 18:27:33, on 27/03/2006
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Hello people.

Last Wednesday evening,I was doing something offline when I noticed activity on my cable modem.I discovered my ISP was having network problems so left it at that.
The next day,when NTL gave the all clear,I was puzzled to see that I still had this unknown traffic.
I posted my problem on a cable users forum

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthre…ed=1#post712594

theres a couple of screenshots there to give you an idea of whats happening.
If this is normal activity,,why has it only just now shown itself on my modem,after being hidden for 3 years?
I've scanned for spyware and virus,with nothing more than cookies discovered.
I'm out of my depth when it comes to networking..I don't know where to start.

One of my many trawls for info led me to this thread,

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/archive/….php/t-391.html

quote: "It means that ntl networks have left RIP running on a cable interface, which is bad practice. They need to set the cable interface you're on to Passive in the RIP config."
unquote.

Is this relevant to my problem?
Is there anything I can do to stop it?
What exactly is my PC exchanging with this address?
How detrimental to online gaming will this be?Since this started,I have done nothing but browse the net for solutions to this annoyance.I really miss my flight sim,but don't want to upset other players with a messed up connection.

I have contacted my ISP,through email,but they are saying its normal behaviour.I think this cannot be,as it has only just manifested itself since their service disruption..however I cannot prove this because I don't know enough to argue my point.

Anyone care enough to try and help me nail this?

thanls in advance for any advice offered..
its normal to see traffic between your computer and modem. even normal to see blinking lights on your modem even if your pc is off. you actually are on a network with other modem users. the lights are DHCP/ARP broadcasts to all modems on your node. if your isp said it was normal, i would buy that. youve done malware scans. i couldnt view those uploads, but cache2.ntli.net is most likley from your isp. you said they were down, maybe they are still having network problems somewhere.

http://www.ntl-isp.ntl.com/ServiceStatus/
..hmm..NTL seem to be having problems recently…my point is,if I am not actally doing something online,there is no activity on my modem.Not for these past 3 years. Thanks for the response anyway.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI