Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93085 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Go slow

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dianelt

dianelt

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 04:54 PM

For the past three days my pc has been on a go-slow when connecting to the internet. Pages take ages to come up and usually with errors or it says it can't find the server, or my browser settings will not allow me to open a page. Is it tha anti-virus program stopping it?? Is it my internet connection (though it does say its excellent the speed is often 24Mbps)? Is it Yahoo itself?? What can I do??' Help please

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 10:24 PM

Hopefully you have anti-virus and anti-spyware tools installed. Update them through their update function and run full scans with all you have on board. Post back with your results and a little more about your machine and what you may have been doing when this problem first started. Do you have all the Microsoft updates? What modem and connection type (I'm guessing dial-up?) List the anti-virus and anti-spyware you have loaded. List new programs or hardware that you may have recently installed. Is this the same machine that you recently worked on in HJT? Best Regards

Edited by dough, 23 March 2006 - 10:27 PM.

The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

#3 dubz

dubz

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 01:12 PM

open up my computer and type in an internt address into the my computer address bar and see if your sites load correctly. If so the problem may be with your browser (IE or firefox whichever u use) If you still cannot access the net then it may not be a problem with your system at all, it could be your ISP.

Edited by dubz, 24 March 2006 - 01:13 PM.

#4 dianelt

dianelt

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 25 March 2006 - 09:02 AM

Thank you dough and dubz for replying to my call for help. This is the computer I recently had problems with - and it works wit Windows XP. It's not a dial-up connection but cable with modem and then router. Could the problem be with the router?? How can I find out?? I've done all the scanes - nothing, and I have all the anti-virus updates. I think the problem may be physical. Thanks for your help. Di

#5 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 25 March 2006 - 11:19 AM

Plug your computer directly into the Modem via CAT5 cable. You'll have to "log in" to your internet connection manually via your login screen (Usually Enternet.exe) How's your internet connection speed now? If it's better, you may benefit from running the Router Installation/Configuration setup CD again. Router configurations do get "old" or "corrupt" and it can help to disconnect the power from your Modem and Router periodically and then refresh the setting via the Router Installation/Configuration CD setup process.

Edited by dough, 25 March 2006 - 11:22 AM.

The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

#6 dianelt

dianelt

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 09:02 AM

Hi Dough I tried that - directly to the modem and yessssss it's fine, but through the router it is so slow nothing shows up - can't get a webpage at all. Have reset the router and unplugged and plugged in again and no better. Could it be the connection between the router and the modem? Or could it be someone else using the signal from my router?? Thanks Diane