This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

STRANGE!

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I am not sure if I posted this in the right spot, but I figuring this was a system problem, as the result of something that got in. I am using Windows XP Professional. Woke up this moring and turned on the computer. Booted up okay and welcome screen came up(where the user logs in or selects no user)…but no users are visible. The only button available on the welcome screen is restart. It says to select user, but I have only a blank spot where the user log-ins were before. I tried a couple things: 1) I restarted 2) I hit "ctrl"+"alt"+"del" in the welcome screen and a smaller window pops up to log on. I tried to enter my password (for some reason my log-in name is the default). I tried until it became apparent it was not going to log me in 3) I tried a safe-mode start and I get to the welcome screen and of course, no button are available but restart I am stuck! My questions are: what happened? how do I get in? Rebooting is my VERY LAST RESORT! I am panicing because I have information and files not backed-up. Thank you in advance…I am way too poor to bring it in to someone and way to scared to lose my stuff! If you need anymore questions, give me a post and I will post back the info ASAP!
Hello,
I have researched your prolem and am unable to offer you any good fixes if you wish to keep files that are on your hard drive. However if you can remove your hard drive and hook it up on another pc as a slave drive you may be able to recover data. This and other scenarios regarding your problem are discussed here:

http://www.softwaretipsandtricks.com/forum…sing-logon.html

Good luck, I can feel your pain throught my pc. :(
Thank you for the post…not sure if I am capable of taking my hard drive out of my laptop. The thread you threw me answered some questions, I am going to try to do the last thing on it. I guess I am going to crash the whole thing…or find someone that understands what that the last post says to do. *banging head on desk* *tear*….does anyone know where this would come from…is it a downloaded thing?

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI