This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Unusual Problem - Please Help

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I have a lap top with an interesting problem. One day all of a sudden I was no longer able to log in to any internet email sites. I have tried Yahoo, Hotmail and Comcast and each time I put my user name and password in I get a page saying that IE could not connect to the website. I have tried every thing to fix this problem. I have turned off firewalls, virus protection and anything else I could think of, but nothing works. Another odd problem is that Firefox does not work either. Everytime I try to use Firefox I just get a an error saying Firefox could not connect to the website. I have a Dell laptop running Windows XP and use a Linksys wireless card. I have also run various ant-virus software and no viruses have been found. I also have run Ad-Aware and Ewido and nothing unusual has been found. Please help!
Here's the Microsoft "laundry list" of items and settings to check.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/870700

You may also need to update your JAVA.
You may also need to clear your JAVA Cache.

Doing a general cleanup of Temporary Internet Files, and .tmp files may sometimes remove a partial or corrupt download that is blocking access.

Let us know if this helps.

Best Regards
Long Shot solution……

Do you already have XP SP2?

If so, you can uninstall SP2 in your Add/Remove.
Then reinstall SP2, which contains IE 6.0, and it will reinstall your IE for you.

If you don't have SP2, go to Microsoft Updates and download/install it.

Have you used System File Checker utility?

Start - Run - (type) sfc /scannow

Then System File Checker will examine your system files and replace any missing or corrupt files.

Have you returned all of your IE settings to Default levels.
Sometimes when people go into the outline menu of IE security settings, they click a feature that will block a bunch of things they later recognize they don't need/want blocked.

Kinda Rambling and scratching my head.
Ok, I reinstalled SP2, ran System File Checker, returned all IE settings to default and I still get the "Page Cannot Be Found" response. And no I am not running a proxy.
can u access the pages u want by going through my computer and using that address bar instead of internet explorer? if so it may be something with your internet explorer still.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI