This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Can I install XP on my slave drive? How?

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I want to do a clean re-install and upgrade to XP-64 ( I bought the student upgrade to pro, and it just happens to have the regular XP pro and XP Pro 64). I have a regular 32 bit processor on the computer here @ work, where I have my home hard drive hooked up as a slave drive. But I have a new AMD 64 bit processor on my machine @ home. So that is what I should use, right? Is there a way I can do an install of XP from the version of XP I have working here? Or do I need to follow the same procedure as doing a new xp install (just hook my old HD up as the master and disconnect my work one for the time being)??? Thanks!
hott, thanks. I am having trouble just getting the thing to load windows at all, let alone load 64bit XP. *grumps* I did have success installing Win98 SE, but now it doesn't want to recognize my PCI ethernet adapter (wireless lan). I wonder if the 64bit upgrade I have would make things better, or worse?
Thanks for your advice! I don't think I have a page file. I have had some success today - I got my clean install of 98 to boot, then got my upgrade to XP Pro (not 64bit) to boot. I upgraded my new motherboard's drivers, which included a new PCI ethernet driver. I am going to try installing XP 64 bit as a dual boot option, and if I don't like it, I'll remove it. I did do one REALLY smart thing, and that was create a partition that contained all my non-system files, so that I could format the system partition and do a clean install of Win98. For now, at least, I have no serious problems, but I really need to read up on XP Pro 64 before deciding if I want to use it full-time. It seems a little early yet to adopt it.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI