Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93083 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

setconfig error message

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 thetingod

thetingod

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 February 2006 - 09:02 AM

Get error message "setconfig application has encountered a problem and needs to close" after Windows XP (SP2) boots up. Clicking "send" or "don't send" or "debug" generates nothing useful, and once the dialogue box is cleared, there's no obvious affect on any performance. I suspect this has something to do with the HP LaserJet 1150 I have installed, and I've noticed many others experience the problem, but neither HP nor Microsoft has any solution. This can't be a new issue, so do you have any suggestions?

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 pacman123

pacman123

Authentic Member

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 04:42 PM

Hi some info here might help....................

http://experts.about...plication-1.htm

#3 thetingod

thetingod

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 06:53 PM

Although this "SetConfig" error issue was ignored by HP the last few dozen times I queried their increasingly frustrating support areas, your forum response led me to what appears to be a June, 2005 "fix" by HP, with the following URL, and I'm going to give it a try (and report back here):

http://h20000.www2.h...Item=lj-32527-1

Thanks for the help, and I'll let you know one way or another. It seems to be a problem with an entire series of HP LaserJets, not just my 1150.

#4 thetingod

thetingod

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 11:57 AM

Thanks, PACMAN123. The path you gave me revealed a fix for the "Setconfig.exe has encountered ..." error message on the HP support site indicated in the link. The fix removes the "setconfig.exe" utility and the system boots up fine now. Probably concidentally, my DVD writer stopped reading DVDs almost simultaneously, but I'm hoping these are totally unconnected (the DVD/RW drive functions all right with CDs - including the ability to write to CD, but will not read blank or recorded DVDs at all).