This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

Desktop has been HIjacked! Please Help!

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

My desktop has been hijacked and I can't change it. It Says: "Warning spyware detected on your computer, install anitvirus or spyware remover to clean your computer" Then under that there is a link that I can click on that is on my desktop that says "view a list of top spyware removers" I was infected by a trojan and as soon as that happened a program called alpha sweeper started running that I didn't even have. It was a spyware program and it said that I had a desktop hijacker and a trojan and it wanted me to register the program to fix the problems and of course it wanted $40 for me to be able to register it. Please Help Thanks, Jason
Somewhere during browsing, a user on your computer accepted or was dupped into downloading a malware that you are now seeing. I recently cleaned up a friend's computer with a similar situation in which "SpywareCleaner" had been installed. In that case, I was able to remove it through Control Panel - Add/Remove. Take a look there and see if you have a new antispyware/cleaner program installed that you did not intend to have there. Use Add/Remove to uninstall it. I would not "rely" on this simple fix if you continue to experience problems as other malware may have come bundled, or other malware may have since been added. If after doing the above, you still have problems then posting a HJT in the appropriate Forum is advised. Best Regards
Hi Jason,

I left you with a rather incomplete response. If/after you remove any unwanted installation, it would be wise to update your securtity baseline programs or download them if you don't have them onboard already.
You can download Spybot Search & Destroy 1.4 here:
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/
and
Ad-Aware SE Personal 1.06 here:
http://www.download.com/Ad-Aware-SE-Person…ubj=dl&tag=top5

Install and allow both to update their .dat files.

Update other legitimate AntiVirus and AntiSpyware programs you may have onboard.

Now re-boot into SAFE Mode, by restarting your commputer and immediately tapping continuously on F8 until the Master Boot Menu appears. Select Safe Mode.

Now run your updated scanners and allow them to fix/remove items detected, including "remove on re-boot". Allow the reboot if suggested by the tool, and use the "tapping F8" procedure to reboot your machine into SAFE Mode to do the next scan.

If at that time you are still experiencing symptoms compromising your computer, it may be useful to run and post a HJT Log
Please Read and Follow these instructions for downloading, running and Posting a New Topic in the HJT Forum
http://www.tomcoyote.org/hjt/

It is possible that you've run into: SpyAxe/SpywareStrike, a nasty invasive fake tool.
Here is the "self-help" removal for this infection if you discover that it is what you are facing:
http://forums.tomcoyote.org/index.php?showtopic=54307

Best Regards

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI