This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Missing programs

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi. I have a very strange problem with my computer. Some of my programs are missing from the Add/Remove Programs applet eventhough the programs still appears from the Quickstart panel and in the destination folder. When I try to run the program from the shortcut on the Desktop, the program would hang. I even tried uninstalling from the quickstart panel but I just keep encountering some uninstallation error. Did any of you encountered this problem? If you did, can you please help me? Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1 Scan saved at 11:55:14 AM, on 1/6/2006 Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600) MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)
hi paranoia, do you remember uninstalling any of the programs from the add/remove programs panel? sometimes after doing that the uninstaller could leave traces on your computer. the quick launch panel and desktop icons are just a short cut to the .exe file. removing or deleting them dosnt remove the .exe file. and if you click one of the links and the files been uninstalled it might give you problems. its good practice to reboot computer after uninstalling something.
No, I have not recently unistalled any programs from the Add/Remove programs panel. However, I remember majority of my programs have an uninstallation executable. I step away from my computer for a 2 week vacation and some of my programs did not work. I checked the Add/Remove Program applet and I noticed my programs were missing. I followed the instructions in this website (http://www.windowsitpro.com/Article/ArticleID/14623/14623.html) by modifying entries with a text string of >64 characters and naming it with the software name. The programs appeared in the Add/Remove Program applet but I couldn't remove or modify it. Thanks for trying to help me but I already resolve the issue myself by wiping my HDD.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI