This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Discussion

Does CCleaner contain any spyware/adware?

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Hello all. I am considering using CCleaner to clean my index.dat files. However, I am concerned whether CCleaner is really free of spyware/adware? The website says that it is, but I don't know whether to trust that. The website does not even mention who made the program. By the way, if you know of any stable, free programs that will wipe my index.dat files, please kindly let me know of them
CCleaner is most definitely spyware-and-adware-free (I've been using it since it's inception and have checked it with everything I have here). It's very quick and absolutely great for cleaning out those pesky "caches" in your SunJava installation (if that's what you use) rather than having to do that separately.

I certainly wish that CCleaner would do more than simply "delete", though (that's all it does - deletes - it doesn't "erase" what it deletes.

If what you're most concerned with is the various index.dat files, however, I'd suggest Index.dat Suite ( http://support.it-mate.co.uk/?mode=Product…=index.datsuite ) as it does a far better job of finding (on all profiles) all the "index.dat" files on your computer - allows you examine the content of the ones found (and even print them out if you desire) - and also does some "cleanup" stuff of it's own (as well as automatically scheduling a disk defrag everytime the program runs) if you select those options.

And, yes - that one is "spyware-and-adware-free", also.

Alas, I.dS also just deletes - it doesn't "erase", either.

It can't be beat for index.dat stuff, though, and it's easy enough to prove - simply run whatever you're currently running for index.dat(s) discovery/deletion, let it do its' thing and (after a re-start) run I.dS. HTH Pete