Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93083 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

PC Can't Establish IP Address

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Needump

Needump

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 12:06 PM

Thanks for the help in advance. So I am writing this from my work computer [during lunch hours] because my computer at home cannot log onto the internet. So here are all the gorry details...ok not so gorry but details none the less. On Friday I installed Kapersky. Ran the check and deleted all of the viruses. After I did this my computer bogged down. So on Saturday I did a full removal of Kapersky. This solved the speed issue, but right after I finished uninstalling Kapersky I could no longer log onto the internet. When I went to repair the connection a message came up saying that it could not ID or locate the IP address. I had this problem happen once before and I fixed it by going back and doing a system restore. However there were no system restore points. I know the problem is with my computer and not the ISP. I have an external cable model through which I log onto the internet. So I am at a loss. Can anyone help me?

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 shelf life

shelf life

SuperMember

• Visiting Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,191 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 03:12 PM

hi Needump, have you rebooted your modem. might be a reset switch on it, or just unplug it wait a few seconds plug it back in. then reboot your computer also.
How Can I Reduce My Risk?

#3 Needump

Needump

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 03:28 PM

I'll try that when I get home. Thanks

#4 Needump

Needump

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 December 2005 - 08:16 AM

So that did not work. I also tried to unistall the driver and reinstall it. Nothing. It still says it cannot establish the IP address. Needump

#5 shelf life

shelf life

SuperMember

• Visiting Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,191 posts

Posted 13 December 2005 - 08:09 PM

hi Needump,

go to start>settings>control panel. click the network connections icoN
right click on your local area connection and choose properties
in the box that comes up click on Internet Protocol (tcp/ip) then click on properties.
make sure both "obtain an ip address automatically" and obtain DNS server address automatically" are selected. then click ok to close windows.
-----------------------------------------------------
if you have to make the changes, reboot computer once afterwards.
then go to start>run> type in the box wihtout the quotes "cmd"
at the prompt type ipconfig /release, then ipconfig /renew (there is a space betwenn ipconfig /release and /renew
after you do ipconfig /renew you should get a ip address, subnet mask and default gateway listed. your ip will be from your isp it shoudnt start with 192... or 172....
post back

I also tried to unistall the driver and reinstall it

your NIC driver?

#6 Needump

Needump

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 December 2005 - 11:58 AM

Shelf Life, I did what you instructed but when I put in ipconfig/renew a message came up that said it could not establish a new address One concern is, I connected my modem to my lap top and I was able to connect to the internet. So obviously the problem is with my desktop computer. I unistalled the NIC driver and reinstalled it. However I still get the "limited or no connectivity" message when trying to connect to the net. So I am guessing that the problem is with my network card. Am I correct in my assumption? If so is there a way to test my network card to see if it is working properly, without having to connect to the net. If I do need to purchase a new card what network card do you reccomend. Currently I have the Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller. Also I have a Dell DImension 2350 desk top. All hardware is standard. Thanks for your help. Needump

#7 shelf life

shelf life

SuperMember

• Visiting Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,191 posts

Posted 17 December 2005 - 03:34 PM

hi Needump have you checked in device manager under network adapters? is the card listed also right click on it and select properties and poke around. most cards have LEDs where the cable plugs into in the back. any activity with the lights? also try this although iam not sure if this will actually tell you if the nic is dead if you dont get a reply: start>cmd> type in ping 127.0.0.1 (note a single space after ping) also try this once more. unplug your modem for a few minutes. plug it back in then try the ipconfig /release /renew again shelf life

#8 MikeTM

MikeTM

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 December 2005 - 03:58 PM

I am having a similar problem. I have the same symptoms but I can get on the internet in Safe Mode. Please help Mike

#9 shelf life

shelf life

SuperMember

• Visiting Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,191 posts

Posted 23 December 2005 - 07:24 PM

MikeTM,

try this:
boot your computer into safe mode. you reach safe mode by tapping the f8 key during a reboot, chose the safe mode option. once in safe mode run your antivirus and any other malware remover you may have.

also do this in safe mode:

Click Start>Run then type %temp%
Hit OK. Delete all the files you can.

Empty your Temp folders. Go to Start > Run and type:cleanmgr. Windows will scan. When done check these 3 and press *ok* to remove:

Temporary Files
Temporary Internet Files
Recycle Bin
------------------------------------------
reboot computer normally.

go here http://www.subratam.org and under Removal Tools link find and download----> Hijackthis.latest version 1.99.1
Dont run it from within the zip file. Extract to a folder such as c:\Antispyware\Hijackthis\ or c:\Program Files\Hijackthis\ but not on your Desktop or a temporary folder.

Once you have hijackthis.exe in it's permanent folder:
Start the program
Press Scan.
After the scan- the Scan button will change to a Save Log button.Save the log somewhere like your desktop.
copy/paste the saved log in your next reply.

start a new thread in the HighJack This Logs and Spyware/Malware Removal forum.

i will look for it.......shelf life