This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

PC Can't Establish IP Address

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Thanks for the help in advance. So I am writing this from my work computer [during lunch hours] because my computer at home cannot log onto the internet. So here are all the gorry details…ok not so gorry but details none the less. On Friday I installed Kapersky. Ran the check and deleted all of the viruses. After I did this my computer bogged down. So on Saturday I did a full removal of Kapersky. This solved the speed issue, but right after I finished uninstalling Kapersky I could no longer log onto the internet. When I went to repair the connection a message came up saying that it could not ID or locate the IP address. I had this problem happen once before and I fixed it by going back and doing a system restore. However there were no system restore points. I know the problem is with my computer and not the ISP. I have an external cable model through which I log onto the internet. So I am at a loss. Can anyone help me?
hi Needump, have you rebooted your modem. might be a reset switch on it, or just unplug it wait a few seconds plug it back in. then reboot your computer also.
So that did not work. I also tried to unistall the driver and reinstall it. Nothing. It still says it cannot establish the IP address. Needump
hi Needump,

go to start>settings>control panel. click the network connections icoN
right click on your local area connection and choose properties
in the box that comes up click on Internet Protocol (tcp/ip) then click on properties.
make sure both "obtain an ip address automatically" and obtain DNS server address automatically" are selected. then click ok to close windows.
—————————————————–
if you have to make the changes, reboot computer once afterwards.
then go to start>run> type in the box wihtout the quotes "cmd"
at the prompt type ipconfig /release, then ipconfig /renew (there is a space betwenn ipconfig /release and /renew
after you do ipconfig /renew you should get a ip address, subnet mask and default gateway listed. your ip will be from your isp it shoudnt start with 192… or 172….
post back


I also tried to unistall the driver and reinstall it

your NIC driver?
Shelf Life, I did what you instructed but when I put in ipconfig/renew a message came up that said it could not establish a new address One concern is, I connected my modem to my lap top and I was able to connect to the internet. So obviously the problem is with my desktop computer. I unistalled the NIC driver and reinstalled it. However I still get the "limited or no connectivity" message when trying to connect to the net. So I am guessing that the problem is with my network card. Am I correct in my assumption? If so is there a way to test my network card to see if it is working properly, without having to connect to the net. If I do need to purchase a new card what network card do you reccomend. Currently I have the Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller. Also I have a Dell DImension 2350 desk top. All hardware is standard. Thanks for your help. Needump
hi Needump have you checked in device manager under network adapters? is the card listed also right click on it and select properties and poke around. most cards have LEDs where the cable plugs into in the back. any activity with the lights? also try this although iam not sure if this will actually tell you if the nic is dead if you dont get a reply: start>cmd> type in ping 127.0.0.1 (note a single space after ping) also try this once more. unplug your modem for a few minutes. plug it back in then try the ipconfig /release /renew again shelf life
MikeTM,

try this:
boot your computer into safe mode. you reach safe mode by tapping the f8 key during a reboot, chose the safe mode option. once in safe mode run your antivirus and any other malware remover you may have.

also do this in safe mode:

Click Start>Run then type %temp%
Hit OK. Delete all the files you can.

Empty your Temp folders. Go to Start > Run and type:cleanmgr. Windows will scan. When done check these 3 and press *ok* to remove:

Temporary Files
Temporary Internet Files
Recycle Bin
——————————————
reboot computer normally.

go here http://www.subratam.org and under Removal Tools link find and download—-> Hijackthis.latest version 1.99.1
Dont run it from within the zip file. Extract to a folder such as c:\Antispyware\Hijackthis\ or c:\Program Files\Hijackthis\ but not on your Desktop or a temporary folder.

Once you have hijackthis.exe in it's permanent folder:
Start the program
Press Scan.
After the scan- the Scan button will change to a Save Log button.Save the log somewhere like your desktop.
copy/paste the saved log in your next reply.

start a new thread in the HighJack This Logs and Spyware/Malware Removal forum.

i will look for it…….shelf life

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI