Unable to find \WinFixer 2005\ in Regedit
6 min read
How to post a HJT log
http://www.netstar.me.uk/hjt/hjt.html
http://russelltexas.com/malware/createhjtfolder.htm
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/tutorial94.html
Thanks…pskelley
TomCoyote forum
Expert Member
Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 6:35:25 PM, on 12/9/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)
Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccProxy.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7DEBUG\MDM.EXE
C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\HPQ\Quick Launch Buttons\EabServr.exe
C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPLpr.exe
C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\Unload\hpqcmon.exe
C:\Program Files\HP\HP Share-to-Web\hpgs2wnd.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\hphmon05.exe
C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH Jukebox\mm_tray.exe
C:\Program Files\Picasa2\PicasaMediaDetector.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe
C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
C:\Program Files\HP\hpcoretech\hpcmpmgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasDtServ.exe
C:\Program Files\HP\HP Share-to-Web\hpgs2wnf.exe
C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\Program Files\Logitech\MouseWare\system\em_exec.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\MUSICM~1\MUSICM~1\MMDiag.exe
C:\Program Files\Sony Handheld\Hotsync.exe
C:\Program Files\Sony Handheld\USBSwt.exe
C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH Jukebox\mim.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Console\NSCSRVCE.EXE
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\Program Files\Outlook Express\msimn.exe
C:\Program Files\WinZip\WINZIP32.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\WINZIP\wzqkpick.exe
C:\Program Files\HijackThis\hijackthis_sfx.exe
C:\Program Files\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://us.rd.yahoo.com/customize/ycomp_adb…/search/ie.html
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.yahoo.com/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://us8l.hpwis.com
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = localhost
O2 - BHO: Yahoo! Companion BHO - {02478D38-C3F9-4efb-9B51-7695ECA05670} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn0\ycomp5_5_7_0.dll
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {549B5CA7-4A86-11D7-A4DF-000874180BB3} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: Norton Internet Security 2006 - {9ECB9560-04F9-4bbc-943D-298DDF1699E1} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\AdBlocking\NISShExt.dll
O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {A8F38D8D-E480-4D52-B7A2-731BB6995FDD} - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {FDD3B846-8D59-4ffb-8758-209B6AD74ACC} - (no file)
O3 - Toolbar: HP View - {B2847E28-5D7D-4DEB-8B67-05D28BCF79F5} - C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpdtlk02.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Yahoo! Companion - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn0\ycomp5_5_7_0.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Norton Internet Security 2006 - {0B53EAC3-8D69-4b9e-9B19-A37C9A5676A7} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\AdBlocking\NISShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {C4069E3A-68F1-403E-B40E-20066696354B} - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /installquiet
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [eabconfg.cpl] C:\Program Files\HPQ\Quick Launch Buttons\EabServr.exe /Start
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UpdateManager] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sonic\Update Manager\sgtray.exe" /r
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SynTPLpr] C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPLpr.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SynTPEnh] C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CamMonitor] C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\Unload\hpqcmon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Share-to-Web Namespace Daemon] C:\Program Files\HP\HP Share-to-Web\hpgs2wnd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPHUPD05] c:\Program Files\HP\{45B6180B-DCAB-4093-8EE8-6164457517F0}\hphupd05.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPHmon05] C:\WINDOWS\System32\hphmon05.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MMTray] "C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH Jukebox\mm_tray.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Picasa Media Detector] C:\Program Files\Picasa2\PicasaMediaDetector.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Logitech Utility] Logi_MwX.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [gcasServ] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Software Update] C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Component Manager] "C:\Program Files\HP\hpcoretech\hpcmpmgr.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MimBoot] C:\PROGRA~1\MUSICM~1\MUSICM~1\mimboot.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [BackupNotify] C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\backupnotify.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Spyware Cleaner] "C:\Program Files\Spyware Cleaner\SpywareCleaner.Exe" /boot
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
O4 - Global Startup: HotSync Manager.lnk = C:\Program Files\Sony Handheld\Hotsync.exe
O4 - Global Startup: HP Digital Imaging Monitor.lnk = C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: Quicken Scheduled Updates.lnk = C:\Program Files\Quicken\bagent.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Sony PDA USB Switcher.lnk = C:\Program Files\Sony Handheld\USBSwt.exe
O4 - Global Startup: WinZip Quick Pick.lnk = C:\Program Files\WinZip\WZQKPICK.EXE
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MI1933~1\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2\bin\npjpi142.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2\bin\npjpi142.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MI1933~1\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O12 - Plugin for .pdf: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\PLUGINS\nppdf32.dll
O14 - IERESET.INF: START_PAGE_URL=http://us8l.hpwis.com
O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=39204
O16 - DPF: {49232000-16E4-426C-A231-62846947304B} - http://ipgweb.cce.hp.com/rdqna/downloads/sysinfo.cab
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/v5co…b?1101865185279
O20 - Winlogon Notify: mljjj - C:\WINDOWS\
O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Internet Security Password Validation (ccISPwdSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\ccPwdSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Network Proxy (ccProxy) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccProxy.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Settings Manager (ccSetMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
O23 - Service: COM Host (comHost) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\comHost.exe
O23 - Service: iPod Service (iPodService) - Apple Computer, Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Auto-Protect Service (navapsvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Norton Protection Center Service (NSCService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Console\NSCSRVCE.EXE
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec AVScan (SAVScan) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\SAVScan.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Network Drivers Service (SNDSrvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec SPBBCSvc (SPBBCSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SPBBC\SPBBCSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Core LC - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
O23 - Service: SymWMI Service (SymWSC) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\SymWSC.exe
Let me know if I am not doing this correctly - TJF
C:\Program Files\HijackThis\hijackthis_sfx.exe <<< remove this one
C:\Program Files\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe
If you have it installed twice, delete the top one of these two. This is the link to your topic: http://forums.tomcoyote.org/index.php?showtopic=53009 Always return to that thread and add to it, that way I will be notified.
Before we start, this program: Spyware Cleaner is considered a Rogue/Suspect Anti-Spyware Product. See this: http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm I do not know if you installed it or it was installed by the junk causing your issues, but it must go. Click Start, Control Panel then Add Remove programs. If it is there uninstall it. I will schedule the rest. If you see any other programs you know do not belong there, uninstall them also.
We will be using Spy Sweeper 4.5 - Free Trial, you should find it at the bottom of the page in this link:
http://www.webroot.com/consumer/products/s…er/latestv.html Then follow these directions:
Download the free trial version of Spy Sweeper
Note: On that page, in the Spy Sweeper section, click the link for "Free Trial", NOT the link for "Free Spyware Scan".
Install it using the Standard Install option. (You will be asked for your e-mail address, it is safe to give it. If you receive alerts from your firewall, allow all activities for Spy Sweeper)
You will be prompted to check for updated definitions, please do so.
(This may take several minutes)
Click on Options > Sweep Options and check Sweep all Folders on Selected drives. Check Local Disc C. Under What to Sweep, check every box.
Click on Sweep and allow it to fully scan your system.
When the sweep has finished, click Remove. Click Select All and then Next
From 'Results', select the Session Log tab. Click Save to File and save the log somewhere convenient.
Exit Spy Sweeper.
Restart your computer <<< very important
Open HijackThis and choose "Do a system scan only" then check the box in front of these line items:
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {549B5CA7-4A86-11D7-A4DF-000874180BB3} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {FDD3B846-8D59-4ffb-8758-209B6AD74ACC} - (no file)
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Spyware Cleaner] "C:\Program Files\Spyware Cleaner\SpywareCleaner.Exe" /boot
O20 - Winlogon Notify: mljjj - C:\WINDOWS\ <<< may be gone
Close all programs but HJT and all browser windows, then click on "Fix Checked"
Enable hidden files&folders..reverse the process when finished.
http://www.xtra.co.nz/help/0,,4155-1916458,00.html
RIGHT Click on Start then click on Explore. Locate and delete these items:
C:\Program Files\Spyware Cleaner\ >>> folder
C:\Windows\Prefetch\ >>> delete everything in this folder (NOT THE FOLDER)
Prefetch info: http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles_…refetch-XP.html
Download CCleaner from this link: http://www.ccleaner.com/ Review the instructions http://www.ccleaner.com/help/tour1.asp Run CCleaner, Windows & Applications when you run the registry cleaner (Issues) you will be prompted to backup before you can remove stuff, make sure you do. Then restart the computer and post a new HJT log and the SpySweeper log in this same thread along with any feedback you have. Let me know how the computer is running now.
I am editing in the fact that your Java needs to be updated. In the Control Panel, locate the coffee cup, open the console and update to the newest version. This is important for your security.
Thanks…Phil
1. I have been unable to find "Spyware cleaner" in using the Control Panel "Add/Remove" routine, nor using IE to explore my C drive. I have run Spybot and AdAware numerous times, and I have run Norton's in Safe Mode several times, but my processes are still very slow - and I seem to keep getting reinfected. I have found one line of code in my Windows Registry that keeps mutating - but I am hesitant to start messing with my registry until I complete the other steps as instructed. I am going on to the "get Spy Sweeper" step as instructed.
TJF
I learned from Norton's that WinFixer needed to be manually removed from the registry - and my wife has told me to "fix it by Friday or go pay someone"… so I am asking for help.
The Symantec directions tell me to navigate to the subkey HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Micorsoft\Windows\Current Version\Run
and in the right pane to delete
"WinFixer 2005" = C:\Program Files\Winfixer 2005\WFX5.exe
However, I don't see it there - even though my last Norton's scan less than 18 hours ago (in SAFE MODE) told me I needed to conduct a manual removal of WinFixer
Can I say I am in a fix? Is there a way to make all files visible in the registry (the only thing I can think of is that I have some hidden files) - or - what else could I be doing wrong?
In advance, thank you! I have always wanted to be a computer geek… maybe some day….
Expert Phil - my aplogies for not getting back to this post promptly.
1. I have been unable to find "Spyware cleaner" in using the Control Panel "Add/Remove" routine, nor using IE to explore my C drive. I have run Spybot and AdAware numerous times, and I have run Norton's in Safe Mode several times, but my processes are still very slow - and I seem to keep getting reinfected. I have found one line of code in my Windows Registry that keeps mutating - but I am hesitant to start messing with my registry until I complete the other steps as instructed. I am going on to the "get Spy Sweeper" step as instructed.
TJF
I learned from Norton's that WinFixer needed to be manually removed from the registry - and my wife has told me to "fix it by Friday or go pay someone"… so I am asking for help.
The Symantec directions tell me to navigate to the subkey HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Micorsoft\Windows\Current Version\Run
and in the right pane to delete
"WinFixer 2005" = C:\Program Files\Winfixer 2005\WFX5.exe
However, I don't see it there - even though my last Norton's scan less than 18 hours ago (in SAFE MODE) told me I needed to conduct a manual removal of WinFixer
Can I say I am in a fix? Is there a way to make all files visible in the registry (the only thing I can think of is that I have some hidden files) - or - what else could I be doing wrong?
In advance, thank you! I have always wanted to be a computer geek… maybe some day….
Here is my HJT Log:
Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 11:54:50 AM, on 12/18/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)
Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccProxy.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7DEBUG\MDM.EXE
C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\HPQ\Quick Launch Buttons\EabServr.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sonic\Update Manager\sgtray.exe
C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPLpr.exe
C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\Unload\hpqcmon.exe
C:\Program Files\HP\HP Share-to-Web\hpgs2wnd.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\hphmon05.exe
C:\Program Files\HP\HP Share-to-Web\hpgs2wnf.exe
C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH Jukebox\mm_tray.exe
C:\Program Files\Picasa2\PicasaMediaDetector.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Logi_MwX.Exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe
C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
C:\Program Files\HP\hpcoretech\hpcmpmgr.exe
C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\MUSICM~1\MUSICM~1\MMDiag.exe
C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH Jukebox\mim.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasDtServ.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Sony Handheld\Hotsync.exe
C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe
C:\Program Files\Sony Handheld\USBSwt.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Tom Freeburg\Desktop\hijackthis.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\msiexec.exe
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://us.rd.yahoo.com/customize/ycomp_adb…/search/ie.html
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.yahoo.com/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://us8l.hpwis.com
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = localhost
O2 - BHO: Yahoo! Companion BHO - {02478D38-C3F9-4efb-9B51-7695ECA05670} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn0\ycomp5_5_7_0.dll
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: Norton Internet Security 2006 - {9ECB9560-04F9-4bbc-943D-298DDF1699E1} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\AdBlocking\NISShExt.dll
O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {A8F38D8D-E480-4D52-B7A2-731BB6995FDD} - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: HP View - {B2847E28-5D7D-4DEB-8B67-05D28BCF79F5} - C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpdtlk02.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Yahoo! Companion - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn0\ycomp5_5_7_0.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Norton Internet Security 2006 - {0B53EAC3-8D69-4b9e-9B19-A37C9A5676A7} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\AdBlocking\NISShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {C4069E3A-68F1-403E-B40E-20066696354B} - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /installquiet
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [eabconfg.cpl] C:\Program Files\HPQ\Quick Launch Buttons\EabServr.exe /Start
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UpdateManager] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sonic\Update Manager\sgtray.exe" /r
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SynTPLpr] C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPLpr.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SynTPEnh] C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CamMonitor] C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\Unload\hpqcmon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Share-to-Web Namespace Daemon] C:\Program Files\HP\HP Share-to-Web\hpgs2wnd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPHUPD05] c:\Program Files\HP\{45B6180B-DCAB-4093-8EE8-6164457517F0}\hphupd05.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPHmon05] C:\WINDOWS\System32\hphmon05.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MMTray] "C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH Jukebox\mm_tray.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Picasa Media Detector] C:\Program Files\Picasa2\PicasaMediaDetector.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Logitech Utility] Logi_MwX.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [gcasServ] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Software Update] C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Component Manager] "C:\Program Files\HP\hpcoretech\hpcmpmgr.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MimBoot] C:\PROGRA~1\MUSICM~1\MUSICM~1\mimboot.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [BackupNotify] C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\backupnotify.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
O4 - Global Startup: HotSync Manager.lnk = C:\Program Files\Sony Handheld\Hotsync.exe
O4 - Global Startup: HP Digital Imaging Monitor.lnk = C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: Quicken Scheduled Updates.lnk = C:\Program Files\Quicken\bagent.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Sony PDA USB Switcher.lnk = C:\Program Files\Sony Handheld\USBSwt.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MI1933~1\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2\bin\npjpi142.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2\bin\npjpi142.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MI1933~1\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O12 - Plugin for .pdf: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\PLUGINS\nppdf32.dll
O14 - IERESET.INF: START_PAGE_URL=http://us8l.hpwis.com
O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=39204
O16 - DPF: {49232000-16E4-426C-A231-62846947304B} - http://ipgweb.cce.hp.com/rdqna/downloads/sysinfo.cab
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/v5co…b?1101865185279
O20 - Winlogon Notify: WRNotifier - WRLogonNTF.dll (file missing)
O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Internet Security Password Validation (ccISPwdSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\ccPwdSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Network Proxy (ccProxy) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccProxy.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Settings Manager (ccSetMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
O23 - Service: COM Host (comHost) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\comHost.exe
O23 - Service: iPod Service (iPodService) - Apple Computer, Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Auto-Protect Service (navapsvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Norton Protection Center Service (NSCService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Console\NSCSRVCE.EXE
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec AVScan (SAVScan) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\SAVScan.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Network Drivers Service (SNDSrvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec SPBBCSvc (SPBBCSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SPBBC\SPBBCSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Core LC - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
O23 - Service: SymWMI Service (SymWSC) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\SymWSC.exe
And here is my Spy Sweeper log -
********
12:04 PM: | Start of Session, Sunday, December 18, 2005 |
12:04 PM: Spy Sweeper started
12:04 PM: Sweep initiated using definitions version 586
12:04 PM: Starting Memory Sweep
12:07 PM: Memory Sweep Complete, Elapsed Time: 00:03:28
12:07 PM: Starting Registry Sweep
12:08 PM: Registry Sweep Complete, Elapsed Time:00:00:21
12:08 PM: Starting Cookie Sweep
12:08 PM: Cookie Sweep Complete, Elapsed Time: 00:00:00
12:08 PM: Starting File Sweep
12:31 PM: Warning: Failed to open file "c:\documents and settings\tom freeburg\local settings\temp\~df286a.tmp". The system cannot find the file specified
12:32 PM: File Sweep Complete, Elapsed Time: 00:24:07
12:32 PM: Full Sweep has completed. Elapsed time 00:28:03
12:32 PM: Traces Found: 0
********
12:02 PM: | Start of Session, Sunday, December 18, 2005 |
12:02 PM: Spy Sweeper started
12:03 PM: Your spyware definitions have been updated.
12:04 PM: | End of Session, Sunday, December 18, 2005 |
I hope this gives you the information you wanted - I am still searching for Spyware Cleaner but am not having any luck finding it yet
TJF
Expert Phil - my aplogies for not getting back to this post promptly.
1. I have been unable to find "Spyware cleaner" in using the Control Panel "Add/Remove" routine, nor using IE to explore my C drive. I have run Spybot and AdAware numerous times, and I have run Norton's in Safe Mode several times, but my processes are still very slow - and I seem to keep getting reinfected. I have found one line of code in my Windows Registry that keeps mutating - but I am hesitant to start messing with my registry until I complete the other steps as instructed. I am going on to the "get Spy Sweeper" step as instructed.
TJF
I learned from Norton's that WinFixer needed to be manually removed from the registry - and my wife has told me to "fix it by Friday or go pay someone"… so I am asking for help.
The Symantec directions tell me to navigate to the subkey HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Micorsoft\Windows\Current Version\Run
and in the right pane to delete
"WinFixer 2005" = C:\Program Files\Winfixer 2005\WFX5.exe
However, I don't see it there - even though my last Norton's scan less than 18 hours ago (in SAFE MODE) told me I needed to conduct a manual removal of WinFixer
Can I say I am in a fix? Is there a way to make all files visible in the registry (the only thing I can think of is that I have some hidden files) - or - what else could I be doing wrong?
In advance, thank you! I have always wanted to be a computer geek… maybe some day….
Before I start, I see you said something about turning of the "registry backup". If you are talking about System Restore, I suggest you never turn it off, a bad backup is better than none in an emergency.
These instructions will purge the old System Restore files in the event malware has gotten in them:
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgen…src=sec_doc_nam Please wait for the "all clear" before using this information. I also wish to apologize for the amount of time the programs to remove this malware take to run. It would sure be better if you did not get the infections and the time would not be required, they rarely can be removed with the ease that they get on the computer with, thanks to the friendly computer hackers.
If I know the answer to this, I would be richer that Bill Gates…we would count our money together. I will provide information from some experts a little later in this thread that will help if you will read and follow their advice.I just wish I could recognize their shorthand to know whether I was allowing a rogue program to connect of if the connect effort was the result of my trying to get email or get to a website. Any thoughts?
Tom, you are running HJT from your Desktop with no folder to store logs and backups. Please review this information I posted earlier: http://russelltexas.com/malware/createhjtfolder.htm
Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1 scan saved at 11:54:50 AM, on 12/18/2005
The HJT log looks good, only thing I see, if you are running Java it is out of date, that is a security issue: C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2\bin\npjpi142.dll
SpySweeper gave this warning: 12:31 PM:
Warning: Failed to open file "c:\documents and settings\tom freeburg\local settings\temp\~df286a.tmp". The system cannot find the file specified
I would navigate to that Temp Folder and delete everything in it (not the folder)
If you do not have a good cleaner, here is one, and I suggest you use it as posted until you learn you have time to learn it.
Download CCleaner from this link: http://www.ccleaner.com/ Review the instructions http://www.ccleaner.com/help/tour1.asp Run CCleaner, Windows & Applications when you run the registry cleaner (Issues) you will be prompted to backup before you can remove stuff, make sure you do.
Here is some great information from Tony Klein, Texruss, ChrisRLG and Grinler to help you stay clean and safe online:
http://boards.cexx.org/viewtopic.php?t=957
http://russelltexas.com/malware/allclear.htm
http://forum.malwareremoval.com/viewtopic.php?t=14
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topict2520.html
Safe surfing…Phil
You are clear to clean the System Restore files as per the Symantec instructions.
Thanks…pskelley
TomCoyote forum
Expert Member
If you are reading this information…thank a teacher, If you are reading it in English…thank a soldier.
Do not bother contacting us if you are not the topic starter. A valid, working link to the closed topic is required along with the user name used. If the user name does not match the one in the thread linked, the email will be deleted.
Make sure you use proper prevention to keep from having problems occur to your computer in the future.
Coyote's Installed programs for prevention:
http://forums.tomcoyote.org/index.php?showtopic=31418
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online.
Visit the CoyoteStore http://TomCoyote.org/coyotestore.php
Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI