Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Manually downloading virus updates

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 markfox

markfox

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 November 2005 - 02:19 PM

Is it possible to manually download updates from Mcafee. I have tried different ways and am always redirected to purchasing the software or purchasing another years upgrade. I am having difficulties registering with Mcafee (for a friend). I seem to be getting attacked each time i log on to the internet to register with them for updates. Thankyou

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 shelf life

shelf life

SuperMember

• Visiting Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,191 posts

Posted 30 November 2005 - 11:00 AM

hi,

are your sure your subscription hasnt run out. want a free antivirus application:

http://free.grisoft....2/lng/us/tpl/v5

what do mean by "getting attacked"
How Can I Reduce My Risk?

#3 markfox

markfox

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 December 2005 - 02:47 AM

My friend had bought a laptop. It had no antivirus. So he ordered Wanadoo broadband and set it up with no problems. I had installed Mcafee Internet Suite v8, before he setup his broadband. We had no problems until we tried logging onto the Internet to register for Mcafee and get the latest virus updates. We kept getting a mcafee warning to tell us that the computer was infected by a medium risk virus. So we disconnected straight away. We then ran a virus scan which told us we had been infected (cant remember the name of the virus though) and we cleaned the virus. We tried again to log on to the net and download the updates again, and was infected by the same virus. We ddint want to carry on as we thought we may get further viruses. Would it matter if i carried on regardless of the virus and registered?

#4 markfox

markfox

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 December 2005 - 02:53 AM

And thankyou very much for the link. That will definitely come in useful in the future.

#5 shelf life

shelf life

SuperMember

• Visiting Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,191 posts

Posted 01 December 2005 - 09:12 AM

hi,

i would connect long enough to register and update the definition files, then disconnect and scan. disconnet means unplugging the router and or modem.
then pick on or two of these and do a online scan or two:

BitDefender Free Online Virus Scan
http://www.bitdefend...can/licence.php
check AutoClean under Scan Options.

Panda ActiveScan
http://www.pandasoft...CACHEHINT=Guest

Housecall at TrendMicro
http://housecall.tre.../start_corp.asp
check Auto Clean.

eTrust Antivirus Web Scanner
http://www3.ca.com/s...sinfo/scan.aspx
----------------------------------------
have your friend get one or both of these also:
Ad-Aware FULL SCAN:

http://www.lavasoftu...ftware/adaware/

Install the program and launch it.

First in the main window look in the bottom right corner and click on Check for updates now then click Connect and download the latest reference files.

From main window :Click Start then under Select a scan Mode check Perform full system scan.
Next deselect Search for negligible risk entries.
Now to scan just click the Next button.

When the scan is finished mark everything for removal and get rid of it.(Right-click the window and choose select all from the drop down menu and click Next)
----------------------------------------------
Spybot Search and destroy:

http://www.safer-net...g/en/index.html

Install the program and launch it.

Go to Start > Programs >Spybot > Search & Destroy and choose Spybot S&D

Close ALL windows except Spybot S&D
Click the button to "Search for Updates" and download and install the Updates.
Next click the button "Check for Problems"
When Spybot is complete, it will be showing "RED" (RED) entries "BLACK" entries and "GREEN" (GREEN) entries in the window
Put a check mark beside the RED (RED) entries ONLY.
Choose "Fix Selected Problems" and allow Spybot to fix the RED (RED) entries.

#6 markfox

markfox

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 December 2005 - 02:52 PM

Im sorry it has taken a while to get back to you. I done an online scan with Trend and found I had no viruses, i then installed Ad Adware and S&D and ran both of them. It worked a treat. Thankyou once again for your help mate Mark

#7 shelf life

shelf life

SuperMember

• Visiting Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,191 posts

Posted 02 December 2005 - 03:23 PM

hi markfox,

glad to help. for your friends reference:

All it takes is a few changes:

Make sure you keep your Windows OS current by visiting Windows update
occasionaly to download and install any critical updates and service packs. With out these you are leaving the backdoor open.

Also download, install and keep updated- Antivirus Software (and use only one):
Free for home users:
avast! 4 Home Edition Download
AVG free version 7.0
AntiVir Personal Edition

Adjust your browser settings: Change your(active x) settings in IE. With IE open go to tools, internet options, security tab. Click on the internet globe, then custom level. Set the first option "download signed active x controls" to prompt, the next two to disable. Read more:
Internet Explorer Privacy & Security Settings
Working with Internet Explorer 6 Security
Many exploits are directed at Internet Explorer, you dont have to use it. Try a different browser.
Like Firefox,
And Pegasus Mail for a safer e-mail, no tweaking needed.

Outlook Express with the default settings is not secure. It will run scripts, download images etc, just like a browser.
look here
and here

Install a firewall. A firewall will control what comes in from the internet and what leaves your computer to the internet. A firewall will also alert you when a application trys to connect to the internet from your computer, this is a good way to catch crapware or trojans, trying to connect out bound from your computer- whats that and why does it need a internet connection? You can deny it access it until more investigation is done. Zone Alarm is a free and easy to use firewall, that will provide in and outbound protection. Microsoft XP firewall only provides inbound protection. SP2 adds in and out bound protection which is better than nothing, but is not as robust as third party firewalls, Be sure to run only >one< firewall.If you use another, be sure to disable XP's built in firewall. If you use Zone Alarm learn what needs/uses your internet connection. If something unusal or out of the ordinary "asks" deny it access until more investigation is done.
Zone Alarm
Kerio Personal Firewall
Outpost Firewall
Sygate Personal Firewall
Tiny Firewall
BlackIce

Download one or two of these, install and update before using:(if these are constantly finding malware, then you need to make changes to your browser and or your habits)
CounterSpy Free trial version
Spybot Search and destroy
Ad-Aware SE Personal edition
Microsoft AntiSpyware (beta version)
Becarful with spyware "removers and scanners"-- there are many "rogue/suspect" programs that "claim to remove" spyware.Check here first.

Other programs to consider:
Process Guard stop events/processes with user intervention
System Safety Monitor beta version stop events/processes with user intervention
SpywareBlaster add security to IE
IE-SPYAD adds adware peddlers sites/domains to IE restricted zone
CleanUp cleans out temps,history, autoforms etc

AntiTrojan software to fill in the gap:
a2 free
Ewido Security Suite
Trojan Hunter (30 day trial version)
TDS-3 trail version discontinued as of 07/05
Tauscan trial version

Learn More:
Browser Checkup
Parasite Free
Safe Hex
Shelf Lifes site
Home Computer Security
Wilders Security Advisors

Watch what you download, and where you download it from. Many programs come bundled with extra software.You may be installing more than you think. Make sure you understand what it is you will be downloading and installing to your computer. Visit the makers website, learn more about the program, Does the program you want come bundled with other "3rd party" programs? What do the 3rd party programs do? Will they deliver ads? Track your surfing habits?. Read the EULA agreement, you know, that paragraph of stuff you "agree to" before the software installs? If you search hard enough you can always find a "clean" alternative to any software. Stay away from warez and crack sites. Becarful what you download from file sharing networks. If you are not sure, scan it with your Antivirus app. A small file (in KB) is probably not what you think it is. Do you trust the source?

shelf life's File Sharing Tips:
Dont have it start with windows, if you see the icon it may be running
Dont run it 24/7
Limit bandwidth if possible. Isp's have bandwidth caps.no need to call attention to yourself,besides running wide open will affect your download/upload activity.
Dont share a huge amount of files
Random is good, stay out of sharing rooms
Scan downloads with AV/antitrojan apps before launching