Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93081 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Norton Ghost 10.0 error messages/issues

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 sergei91

sergei91

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 27 November 2005 - 02:15 PM

I recently installed Norton Ghost v.10 on my computer after upgrading from version 9 (it came with Systemworks 2006) I had no problems running backups with version 9 but since I have installed version 10 I cannot run any backups to my external Western Digital HD and receive the following error messages: Description: Error EC8F17B7: Cannot create recovery points for job: Complete System Backup. Error E7B70001: Win32/Win64 API DeviceIoControl(IOCTL_VSNAP_VDIFF_STOP) failed. Error EBAB03F1: The device does not recognize the command. Details: 0xE7B70001 Source: Norton Ghost I have treid Symantec online help but as usual they were no help at all. Anybody have any ideas?

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 hgpilot

hgpilot

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 January 2006 - 09:26 AM

Did you get an answer to this? I am having the EXACT same issue! Please share any comments, if you have addresssed this. Thanks in advance.

#3 SwissKing

SwissKing

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 February 2006 - 04:03 PM

Hello everybody, :wavey: I had the same problem. But I found a solution now. The Ghost cannot be provided because the Harddisk have defectively sectors. I found a tool (HDD Regenerator) whit this you repaire the Disk on your PC. You can with the demo version look whether at all sectors on the Harddisk are defectively. If you found, you must buy it. it costs 59.95$ (USD). Removed link to HDD Regenerator. I suggest you try known free tools before making a purchase. LDT

#4 avin

avin

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 08:54 AM

Exact problem. The utility mentioned above did not find any errors. For the sake of whoever is googling this thread, problem solved by splitting the backup from "C:+E: -> F:" to "C: -> F:" + "E: -> F:" where C, E and F are disk partitions and D is a CD. Might be interesting that C: contains XP Home, E: contains XP Pro which is running Ghost. Also might be interesting to note that the recovery disk does not boot properly on two of my machines (both with dual boot).

#5 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 12:05 PM

A little "Education" may be useful here, folks.

Note of calm and caution:

Here's The Calm:
All Hard Drives have "bad sectors" even when they are fresh from the manufacturer.
But Operating Systems like Windows and others like Linux take this fact into consideration and "mark" bad sectors so that they are "isolated" and skipped over, so that no file or data information is saved to faulty sections of the Hard Drive.

Further:
Windows has a built-in utility to handle the problem.... Check Disk (chkdsk /r from the Recovery Console)
And Drive Manufacturer's like Seagate/Maxtor and Western Digital provide (free) utilities called Disk Health or Drive Fitness utilities that can be downloaded from the manufacturer's site (for free)

It is not necessary in most cases to pay money for a third-party utility that is already available from respected sources (for free).

Here's the Caution:
The Website linked in the previous reply above contains links to Known-Bad sites and utilities!
There are several types of "known-bad" criterion for rating a link or product as "bad" or "rogue-suspect"
One that applies to "HDD Regenerator" cited above is "deceptive advertizing".

"HDD Regenerator" offers a "free to try" download which will identify "bad sectors" on your Hard Drive.
It then offers to "fix" the first "bad sector" that it finds, but the user would have to pay $59 to "fix" any additional bad-sectors.

Will "HDD Regenerator" find any "bad sectors"? Yes, of course it will.
It will identify the same bad sectors that your Windows Operating System has "already" identified.
By identifying those bad sectors, "HDD Regenerator" hopes to "panic" the user into paying $59 to fix the remaining bad sectors.
What they don't tell you, is that your Windows has already identified, marked, and fixed those same sectors!

While the New Member may be innocently offering a solution that has worked for them, it is noteworthy to point out that in their very first post at TC, they are recommending the purchase of a suspect utility for which you would be required to pay $59 if you want it to work for you.

A careful scrutiny of the TC Forums will find that Helpers here offer assistance to Members by using utilities that the Member "already owns" or which are available "for free" from known reputable sources.

We don't promote advertisement (sometimes called SPAM)
_________

How does TC handle such situation / and Disclaimer

First, the Disclaimer. I am just an ordinary Member, with no authority or ties to TC Forums other than simply trying to do my best to help other Members and learn better how to help myself.

How has TC handled such situations in the past?
In many cases, an Administrator will make a decision to caution readers, or remove an offending "SPAM" link so that Members are not spoofed into buying products that they don't need or that could be hazardous to their machine.

I don't know what TC will decide to do with this minor incidence which appears above.
I would ask that they "modify" the link so that it is not "clickable".
Such a modification would allow the reading Member to pause and think twice before clicking.
I would also ask the Administration to "leave" the post, and hopefully leave this commentary which is written in hopes that it will serve an Educational purpose for us all.

Best Regards,
Doug

Edit: Thank you LDTate, for editing the referenced post.

Edited by dough, 19 November 2006 - 12:33 PM.

The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

#6 Paul32

Paul32

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 December 2006 - 10:17 AM

A little "Education" may be useful here, folks.

Note of calm and caution:

Here's The Calm:
All Hard Drives have "bad sectors" even when they are fresh from the manufacturer.
But Operating Systems like Windows and others like Linux take this fact into consideration and "mark" bad sectors so that they are "isolated" and skipped over, so that no file or data information is saved to faulty sections of the Hard Drive.

Further:
Windows has a built-in utility to handle the problem.... Check Disk (chkdsk /r from the Recovery Console)
And Drive Manufacturer's like Seagate/Maxtor and Western Digital provide (free) utilities called Disk Health or Drive Fitness utilities that can be downloaded from the manufacturer's site (for free)

It is not necessary in most cases to pay money for a third-party utility that is already available from respected sources (for free).

Here's the Caution:
The Website linked in the previous reply above contains links to Known-Bad sites and utilities!
There are several types of "known-bad" criterion for rating a link or product as "bad" or "rogue-suspect"
One that applies to "HDD Regenerator" cited above is "deceptive advertizing".

"HDD Regenerator" offers a "free to try" download which will identify "bad sectors" on your Hard Drive.
It then offers to "fix" the first "bad sector" that it finds, but the user would have to pay $59 to "fix" any additional bad-sectors.

Will "HDD Regenerator" find any "bad sectors"? Yes, of course it will.
It will identify the same bad sectors that your Windows Operating System has "already" identified.
By identifying those bad sectors, "HDD Regenerator" hopes to "panic" the user into paying $59 to fix the remaining bad sectors.
What they don't tell you, is that your Windows has already identified, marked, and fixed those same sectors!

While the New Member may be innocently offering a solution that has worked for them, it is noteworthy to point out that in their very first post at TC, they are recommending the purchase of a suspect utility for which you would be required to pay $59 if you want it to work for you.

A careful scrutiny of the TC Forums will find that Helpers here offer assistance to Members by using utilities that the Member "already owns" or which are available "for free" from known reputable sources.

We don't promote advertisement (sometimes called SPAM)
_________

How does TC handle such situation / and Disclaimer

First, the Disclaimer. I am just an ordinary Member, with no authority or ties to TC Forums other than simply trying to do my best to help other Members and learn better how to help myself.

How has TC handled such situations in the past?
In many cases, an Administrator will make a decision to caution readers, or remove an offending "SPAM" link so that Members are not spoofed into buying products that they don't need or that could be hazardous to their machine.

I don't know what TC will decide to do with this minor incidence which appears above.
I would ask that they "modify" the link so that it is not "clickable".
Such a modification would allow the reading Member to pause and think twice before clicking.
I would also ask the Administration to "leave" the post, and hopefully leave this commentary which is written in hopes that it will serve an Educational purpose for us all.

Best Regards,
Doug

Edit: Thank you LDTate, for editing the referenced post.

-----------

Hi Guys,

I am new to this forum, I am also having the same issue with Ghost 10, I have run the chkdsk / F in my hard drive many time but it still displays the same error message

Error EC8F17B7: Cannot create recovery points for job: Recovery
point of C:\. Error E7B70001: Win32/Win64 API DeviceIoControl(IOCTL_VSNAP_VDIFF_STOP) failed. Error EBAB03F1: The device does not recognize the command.

I have checked my hard drive's partition details to check for any partition errors and it shows that "Disk Manager is installed on this drive," in the Disk Geometry Information area.

I have doubt whether this is the cause of the issue, I suggest you guys to check the partition information of the hard drive and confirm whether their hard drive also has "Disk Manager is installed on this drive.", as of now I have not purchased a new hard drive without the "Disk Manager" to check whether Norton Ghost 10 works perfectly. I will do it at later time. But, I suggest you guys to check for the same in your hard drive and let me know whether your hard drive is configure with "Disk Manager" or the "Disk Manager is installed on this drive", entry is present in the partition information.

You can download the partinfo tool from the following Symantec link below to gather the partition information:

http://service1.syma...004073190203662

Thanks and Regards

Paul.